Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Compressor for tyres

Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Compressor for tyres

Post by Basil Moss on Thu 05 Mar 2015, 5:31 pm

Hi chaps. I'm soon to need new tyres, and thought it was time I learned to change them myself. I can get tyre irons and rim protectors for a tenner on ebay, but I'll need a fast air compressor to seat it afterwards. Any suggestions for an affordable one I could keep in the garage?
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Compressor for tyres

Post by Beresford on Thu 05 Mar 2015, 7:00 pm

Of course a big compressor is nice to have in the garage, but you don't necessarily need one to seat and inflate a tyre.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 05 Mar 2015, 7:56 pm

They were doing a deal at eurocarparts on a compressor/battery booster recently, seems a very good deal!
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Fri 06 Mar 2015, 5:31 am

@Beresford wrote:Of course a big compressor is nice to have in the garage, but you don't necessarily need one to seat and inflate a tyre.

Really? You reckon I could get away with one of the 12V Compact jobs that are going cheap on ebay? I got the impression that it needs a lot of air really fast to seat it on the rim, but really I'd rather have something small as garage space is limited.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 06 Mar 2015, 6:12 am

Basil, I think you're right.

Those little things are good at increasing pressure, but not delivering large amounts of air quickly.  Sometimes Aldi or Lidl sell them for a good price. Check machine mart when they have a VAT free day too.

I have a dewalt one and it's great, but my tyre shop only charges £10 to change and balance a tyre....
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 06 Mar 2015, 9:42 am

@Basil Moss wrote:

@Beresford wrote:Of course a big compressor is nice to have in the garage, but you don't necessarily need one to seat and inflate a tyre.

Really? You reckon I could get away with one of the 12V Compact jobs that are going cheap on ebay? I got the impression that it needs a lot of air really fast to seat it on the rim, but really I'd rather have something small as garage space is limited.

I carry one of those little 12 volt compressors in the bike and seal the rim using a lightweight ratchet strap also carried under the seat. Works a treat and total cost is under £10.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 06 Mar 2015, 12:41 pm

You don't need a compressor, it just makes it easier. I've done it with a bicycle track pump and pumping like fuck (essentially). It takes a bit of luck. Plus you should take the valve core out, if you can.

In order to get any of the beads to seat, by any method, you need to inflate the tyre (so the beads need to 'kinda' be in the right place), the pressure then forces the bead of the tyre into the 'lip' (wrong word) on the wheel rim which is the 'pop' , 'pop' noise you hear as both beads seat. This is easier to achieve if you have a large volume of air under pressure available.

Anyway, before you get to the bead-seating part you need to get the new tyres on and the old tyres off (not in that order), which, in my experience of these things, is often more difficult to do by hand.

You'll also need some lube. It's also best if you don't really care about your rims. The rim protectors can be made to work but things don't always work out well IME... I didn't care, so it didn't matter.

The main thing is to make sure that the 'other' side of the tyre is pressed into the well of wheel to make slack for you to be able to lever the side you are working on over the rim.

I don't want to put you off (I didn't manage to put myself off), it's just probably best to know it isn't always as easy as people on youtube make it seem; they often have either soft dirtbike tyres or soft racing slicks, both of which stretch a bit more than 'our' kind of tyres.

How are you planing to break the bead on your existing tyres?
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Sat 07 Mar 2015, 6:48 pm

Jolly good. Well I'll see how it goes. I've got a track pump... Shocked 

I'm fully expecting the job to be a real bastard, I've had bicycle rim/tyre combos which were abominable so I expect this to be similar but with larger tools. I'm going to break the bead with G clamps, and I'm reliably informed that windowlene makes a good lubricant for the job.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 07 Mar 2015, 8:57 pm

Using one of these will make re-seating the tyre to inflate, a doddle.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 1:19 pm

Good luck.  It could be easy, it could be a 'real bastard'....

No idea if windowlene is a good tyre lubricant, however almost anything is better than nothing (water would probably work to an extent, but you wouldn't want to get too much inside!)
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 1:38 pm

Again, the Cheapskate "solution". Soapy water / dishwasher liquid works well.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 1:47 pm

Indeed...

Post by Guest on Mon 09 Mar 2015, 6:12 am

... and any punctures ever after will show up as bubbles Very Happy
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 12 Mar 2015, 8:32 pm

Hi Basil last year I bought a wolf 50 ltr 2.5 hp compressor 116 psi that came with air line , tyre inflator, spray gun, and an air blower gun and the current price is £150 I reckon that should sort your tyres Very Happy
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 12 Mar 2015, 8:55 pm

or if you go on the wolf website there is plenty of different sizes of compressors on there but I have to say the tyre inflator that came with mine was crap so I ended up buying a decent one on the internet Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 8:04 pm