Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

'Oil Strainer'

jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

'Oil Strainer'

Post by jchesshyre on Wed 25 Feb 2015, 2:17 pm

Looking at this http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=13MY5WEA&block_02=E__1200&block_03=1612 you can see (parts 7 and 8 ) something called 'Strainer Comp., Oil' and 'Packing, Oil Strainer'.

This doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in Haynes and, I don't think, in the Honda manual.

Anyone know anything about this and whether it needs any attention after high mileages?

I did 149,000 miles on my last CB5 and plan on beating that with my current one (currently at 32,000). Surely after that many miles (or much less) any 'oil strainer' will need some attention?
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Re: 'Oil Strainer'

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 25 Feb 2015, 2:21 pm

Its a bit off topic but just for general information - I recently found out that CB's after '98 have a different part number for the sump and don't use a gasket.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 25 Feb 2015, 8:13 pm

So long as the oil/filter has been changed at proper intervals I shouldn't think the strainer would need anything more than a cursory inspection if you have some other need to drop the sump.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 26 Feb 2015, 12:21 pm

^ What he said.

I'm pretty sure that it is just to stop the worst lumps being sucked into the oil pump (hence making sure they stay in the sump) and it has essentially a medium wire gauze over the end (say 0.5 - 1 mm holes).

Most of the stuff it might ever stop will come out when you change the oil, hopefully this is nothing, because if it does stop anything then that is baaaaad. I think this is part of the reason you change your oil when it is hot - hopefully most of the lumps stuck to the strainer will have fallen off and get sloshed out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 2:49 pm