Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

balancing a tyre, brake disc on/off?

dado_dassler
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Solved balancing a tyre, brake disc on/off?

Post by dado_dassler on Wed 25 Feb 2015, 12:03 am

what's the correct way of balancing a tyre, with the brake disc on or off the wheel?
some people dismount their discs to prevent them being damaged or warped by the tyre fitter.
others say it's better to keep the brake disc on to achieve a more precise balance - if you balance your wheel without the disc, you'll make it slightly out of balance by adding the disc which hasn't been accounted for.
so, even though the discs are a machined piece of metal, they're not even all the way around? scratch

Last edited by dado_dassler on Mon 23 Mar 2015, 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Solved Re: balancing a tyre, brake disc on/off?

Post by Stooby2 on Wed 25 Feb 2015, 8:03 am

Leave it on - the hassle involved in getting it off just isn't worth it. Plus, I've never seen a tyre fitter take a disc off to balance a wheel so I would assume it all gets balanced together quite happily.
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Wed 25 Feb 2015, 8:54 am

First of all, if you dismount the disc you would (according to the workshop manual) need new bolts as they are self-securing. Of course, you could apply some Loctite instead, but that isn't what Honda recommends. Beside this, a balancement should be as close to the real conditions as possible. I can't see any reason to dismount it. A tyre shop should be able to handle wheels in a way that doesn't damage them; if not, look for a competitor.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 25 Feb 2015, 12:53 pm

I would leave it on. As Michael said, there shouldn't be any danger to your brake disc from competent tyre fitters and you should get a better balanced wheel at the end of the process.

BTW as far as I know the 'self-securing' part of the Honda disc (and caliper) bolts is 'dry' thread lock that is applied hot to threads when the bolt is made (it looks like a patch of paint on the threads).
When you torque up the bolt it causes the thread lock to melt, it flows into the gaps between the threads and then sets hard again, locking the bolt in place (until you apply enough torque to release it again).

This type to thread lock can only be used once, so the bolt must to thrown away and a new one used every time.

This is one of the reasons why the Honda workshop process specifies you should use a new bolt - if this is the case they can also be sure that a mechanic following the process has ensured that the disc bolt is locked in place (by using a new bolt) i.e. the mechanic cannot have forgotten to apply thread lock.

The other reason for using a new bolt is this: If the previous owner (or mechanic) as over-torqued the bolt and weakened it, by replacing the bolt you will correct this possible dangerous problem.

Personally, I don't use a new bolt every time - I apply Loctite 243 (http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-4087.htm?nodeid=8802623520769) or similar and torque the bolt correctly, using a torque wrench. I have previously replaced the bolt with a new one to avoid the 'previous owner' hazard above.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 11:31 pm