Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Fixing Rear Indicator

Share
avatar
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Posts : 89

Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Pugzilla on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 8:52 pm

Wind knocked my bike off its centrestand.
My left rear indicator has snapped off. It's hanging by the wire, but it still works.
Tried to slip it back over the gold nut with WD40 to no avail.

Any way for me to stick it back on?

Will I need to get a new indicator?

avatar
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Posts : 168
Location : Lower Saxony, Germany

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Flyingbrick on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 9:02 pm

Not the complete indicator, just the stay:



Here in Germany the price is EUR 14,55 including VAT. The part no. is shown in the picture.
On the other hand, those flashers are quite cheap at eBay.


By the way:
If you want the same shape, but slightly shorter, go for SLR650 indicators instead. They are much cheaper and can be used, too, if you change both indicators.
Parts numbers:
front left 33450MAKF00
front right 33400MAKF00
rear left 33650MAKF00
rear right 33600MAKF00
avatar
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Posts : 89

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Pugzilla on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 9:34 pm

No way of sticking this back on?
avatar
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Posts : 168
Location : Lower Saxony, Germany

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Flyingbrick on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 10:13 pm

Well, you tried and failed, so I guess the answer is "no"...I haven't tried it myself by now.
avatar
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Posts : 89

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Pugzilla on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 10:25 pm

I don't understand why it can't just slip back on.

Might attempt to hollow out the inside of the stay.
avatar
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Posts : 168
Location : Lower Saxony, Germany

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Flyingbrick on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 10:53 pm

Have you ever wondered why it is impossible just to pull the indicator off? No? So, why do you wonder about the impossibility to stick it on?

The rubber was vacuum-casted around the nut, now it is quarried out by the force of a dropped bike. So, yes, you have to spend some money to repair your bike as this time duct tape won't be the solution Very Happy

I don't know about the opportunities in Ireland, but over here we don't have to pay more than 5 Euros for a used flasher. That's not worth the effort in my opinion.
avatar
louis_sutton
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Posts : 193
Location : north london

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by louis_sutton on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 11:19 pm

Michael's got a point - you could probably jam it back in, maybe use some quiksteel or bond to hold it on, but with the price of even a full set of indicators on ebay, is it worth the grief? 

The quick search I've just done has made me start thinking about new ones now!
avatar
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Posts : 339
Location : Swansea

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 11:43 pm

@Flyingbrick wrote:Not the complete indicator, just the stay:



Here in Germany the price is EUR 14,55 including VAT. The part no. is shown in the picture.
On the other hand, those flashers are quite cheap at eBay.


By the way:
If you want the same shape, but slightly shorter, go for SLR650 indicators instead. They are much cheaper and can be used, too, if you change both indicators.
Parts numbers:
front left 33450MAKF00
front right 33400MAKF00
rear left 33650MAKF00
rear right 33600MAKF00

I see there are part numbers for all 4 quarters. Are they not all the same piece? Is it because of directional dispersal of light maybe? I would have bought a unit from any quarter and put it on a different quarter if I was replacing.
avatar
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Posts : 89

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Pugzilla on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 11:45 pm

Anyone know the best UK website where i can get a cb500 rear indicator?
avatar
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Posts : 89

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Pugzilla on Tue 24 Feb 2015, 12:40 am

Forgot to ask, what length are the rear indicators on the faired CB500S?

I see 35, 45 and 110 mm indicators.
avatar
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2455
Location : Woking, Surrey

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 24 Feb 2015, 9:50 am

@Pugzilla wrote:I don't understand why it can't just slip back on.

Might attempt to hollow out the inside of the stay.

Yes it can be done.
Boil the rubber in a kettle to get it nice and soft and you will be able to get the stud back in with out carving it out. Lots of swearing involved but it will go back in Smile
avatar
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Posts : 89

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Pugzilla on Tue 24 Feb 2015, 9:56 am

@teamster1975 wrote:Yes it can be done.
Boil the rubber in a kettle to get it nice and soft and you will be able to get the stud back in with out carving it out. Lots of swearing involved but it will go back in Smile



Have you done this yourself?

Do I put the whole stay in the kettle?

Will I need superglue for it stay on the stud?

Thanks
avatar
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Posts : 168
Location : Lower Saxony, Germany

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Flyingbrick on Tue 24 Feb 2015, 10:26 am

@Llewelyn1965:
The CB500 stay is, according to the parts list, always the same.

In case of the SLR, the stay isn't available separately, so you have to buy the whole indicator (which is available for 22 EUR in comparison to the 14 EUR they ask for the CB500 stay).

The four indicators itself are not equal. The housing is different; a small hole is drilled into the bottom in order to prevent moisture. You should not mount them bottom-up. The wires have a different length and are coloured differently -orange/green for the left indicators, blue/green for the right ones.

@Pugzilla:
I'm not sure what you mean. The faired CB has the same indicators as the naked one. Therefore, no differing length is available. Only the SLR flashers are a little shorter. The CB stay has five fins, the SLR ones only four.
avatar
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Posts : 89

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Pugzilla on Tue 24 Feb 2015, 10:49 am

@Flyingbrick wrote:

@Pugzilla:
I'm not sure what you mean. The faired CB has the same indicators as the naked one. Therefore, no differing length is available. Only the SLR flashers are a little shorter. The CB stay has five fins, the SLR ones only four.

One of the websites 'Wemoto' I was looking at gave me those options.

I've now found your website 'CNMSL' and will probably order from there if I can't fix this myself.
avatar
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2455
Location : Woking, Surrey

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 24 Feb 2015, 11:32 am

@Pugzilla wrote:Have you done this yourself?

Do I put the whole stay in the kettle?

Will I need superglue for it stay on the stud?

Thanks

Yes I have, after a little slide on some mud in a country lane!
Remove the rubber arm from the indicator and un-thread the wires so you just have the rubber piece
Thread a bit of string or wire through it to make it easier to remove from kettle and boil away!
The whole of the hex bit on the brass insert will be embedded in the rubber, you shouldn't need any glue as the rubber will stretch over it and locate on the hex head. I'd whip off the other side so you can compare.
avatar
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Posts : 89

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Pugzilla on Tue 24 Feb 2015, 1:54 pm

@teamster1975 wrote:Yes I have, after a little slide on some mud in a country lane!
Remove the rubber arm from the indicator and un-thread the wires so you just have the rubber piece
Thread a bit of string or wire through it to make it easier to remove from kettle and boil away!
The whole of the hex bit on the brass insert will be embedded in the rubber, you shouldn't need any glue as the rubber will stretch over it and locate on the hex head. I'd whip off the other side so you can compare.

I removed the screws holding the arm to the indicator, but I'm not sure how to disconnect the wires from the indicator as they're so short and taut that I can't get a hold of them.
avatar
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Posts : 168
Location : Lower Saxony, Germany

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Flyingbrick on Tue 24 Feb 2015, 2:10 pm

you may disconnect them inside the indicator housing.
avatar
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Posts : 89

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Pugzilla on Tue 24 Feb 2015, 3:57 pm

Well it didn't work.
All I ended up doing was breaking the rubber and my heart. Crying or Very sad 

Will have to order a new one.

Guest
Guest

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Guest on Wed 25 Feb 2015, 6:56 am

here's one, give a call asking post and packaging prices to get an idea of the total...

http://www.boonstraparts.com/nl/onderdelen/mke=Honda/mdl=CB%20500%20+%20S%20%28CB500%20CB500S%20MY5%20PC26%20+%20PC32%29/prt=Knipperlicht%20Links%20Achter/

or these:

http://www.svolta.nl/shop/knipperlichten-achter-set-cb-500-e-p-3238.html
avatar
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Posts : 339
Location : Swansea

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Wed 25 Feb 2015, 1:52 pm

@Flyingbrick wrote:@Llewelyn1965:
The CB500 stay is, according to the parts list, always the same.

In case of the SLR, the stay isn't available separately, so you have to buy the whole indicator (which is available for 22 EUR in comparison to the 14 EUR they ask for the CB500 stay).

The four indicators itself are not equal. The housing is different; a small hole is drilled into the bottom in order to prevent moisture. You should not mount them bottom-up. The wires have a different length and are coloured differently -orange/green for the left indicators, blue/green for the right ones.

@Pugzilla:
I'm not sure what you mean. The faired CB has the same indicators as the naked one. Therefore, no differing length is available. Only the SLR flashers are a little shorter. The CB stay has five fins, the SLR ones only four.

But wouldn't the font left be the same as the rear right and the front right the same as the rear left?
avatar
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Posts : 168
Location : Lower Saxony, Germany

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Flyingbrick on Wed 25 Feb 2015, 4:19 pm

The indicator is the same but the wire length differs. For example, the rear left one has long wires, the rear right one short wires, and the two front indicators have wires of an equal length.
avatar
louis_sutton
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Posts : 193
Location : north london

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by louis_sutton on Sat 28 Feb 2015, 11:40 am

no idea if you've bought one yet mate, but having dropped my bike the indicator took on a look far worse than yours.

Given this is my daily workhorse rather than a pristine example (although I might get there in the end), I did a running repair, which has, so far, done rather well.  Quiksteel - used as both an adhesive filler on the cracks in mine, and also to hold it together.  Whilst it's not the neatest of solutions (not sanded it down yet), it seems to have done rather well!
avatar
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Posts : 89

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Pugzilla on Fri 06 Mar 2015, 8:35 am

Ok I got the replacement arm for the indicator.

What's the best way to get the golden stud that's remaining out?
avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3631
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 06 Mar 2015, 12:28 pm

If you look here:

http://media.givi.it/XN-Prodotti/istruzioni/250F.pdf

there is a 'top hat' washer that holds the indicator into the givi rack arm, which I guess you might be able to undo.

Sponsored content

Re: Fixing Rear Indicator

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 11:41 pm