Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Exhaust Splutter

Adrianomah
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Exhaust Splutter

Post by Adrianomah on Sun 15 Feb 2015, 3:07 pm

Hi all,
I brought my out my 2000cb for a quick run today, and I noticed there was a kind of splutter, (for want of a better word), intermittently from the exhaust, I first noticed it on engine braking, but it seemed to be there when driving at low speed, and when I got home I kept her running in neutral for a while, and it was still doing it, has anyone any thought's as to what might be causing this, and where I should start looking, other than that the bike ran fine.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: Exhaust Splutter

Post by teamster1975 on Sun 15 Feb 2015, 5:30 pm

Sounds as though it may be intermittently firing on one cylinder, I'd whip out the plugs and compare them for starters. You can prove the point by unplugging the spark plug leads in turn while it's idling. If the engine dies when you remove one of them the opposite side is your failure point!
Adrianomah
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Adrianomah on Mon 16 Feb 2015, 6:20 pm

@teamster1975 wrote:Sounds as though it may be intermittently firing on one cylinder, I'd whip out the plugs and compare them for starters. You can prove the point by unplugging the spark plug leads in turn while it's idling. If the engine dies when you remove one of them the opposite side is your failure point!

Thanks, It's a starting point I'll give a try during the week, when I get a chance.
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Mon 16 Feb 2015, 8:14 pm

This is called a backfire. As teamster wrote, it could be caused by an improper ignition, but in case of the CB are two other issues remarkable. The exhaust manifold is prone for cracking (caused by rust) and in some cases become loose (caused by improper mounting). So, additional to the checks teamster mentioned, have a look at the exhaust sytem, too.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Mon 16 Feb 2015, 8:31 pm

As previously mentioned,
this is mainly caused by a leak in the exhaust system allowing air in, make sure all the joints are sealing properly. In particular at the cylinder head.
I would say that if you were to disconnect one of the HT leads whilst idling the the engine would die regardless, as one cylinder would not be enough to keep it running at such low revs. By the fact that it does idle OK then I wouldn't think that it was ignition failure.
Adrianomah
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Adrianomah on Tue 17 Feb 2015, 7:50 pm

@ANDYC wrote:As previously mentioned,
this is mainly caused by a leak in the exhaust system allowing air in, make sure all the joints are sealing properly. In particular at the cylinder head.
I would say that if you were to disconnect one of the HT leads whilst idling the the engine would die regardless, as one cylinder would not be enough to keep it running at such low revs. By the fact that it does idle OK then I wouldn't think that it was ignition failure.

I was thinking something along this line myself, and was wondering if the carbs might need looking at too, but either way since I'm currently dying of the flu it'll be the weekend at the earliest before I get near it, but every thing that yourself, Teamster, and Flyingbrick have mentioned will be checked,
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 18 Feb 2015, 12:45 pm

Just out of interest: do you still have the stock exhaust or have you got something else?

My fuel exhaust makes some slight bangs on decelleration...
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Wed 18 Feb 2015, 1:26 pm

I still got the stock parts -and, after all I've seen, no other exhaust is such a durable piece of metal. Nevertheless I am still after an exhaust with a better sound for the 'evil twin' -the black Gianelli could be the answer. Unfortunately they ask about 250 GBP for it. So I am still waiting for a reasonable price. I asked Louise Turner from Fuel exhausts but she was afraid that their exhaust is road legal in GB only -I could have saved GBP 90 otherwise. Is the black Gianelli available in the UK?
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 18 Feb 2015, 2:50 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:Just out of interest:  do you still have the stock exhaust or have you got something else?

Just means the fuel/air mixture is slightly off because the system is breathing easier, nothing to worry about. Mine does it too.
http://www.visordown.com/forum/workshop/popping-on-over-run---damage-to-engine/307450.html
Adrianomah
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Adrianomah on Wed 18 Feb 2015, 6:22 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:Just out of interest:  do you still have the stock exhaust or have you got something else?

Still have the Stock. Sorry I meant to mention that at the start.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 19 Feb 2015, 12:40 pm

@teamster1975 wrote:

Just means the fuel/air mixture is slightly off because the system is breathing easier, nothing to worry about. Mine does it too.
http://www.visordown.com/forum/workshop/popping-on-over-run---damage-to-engine/307450.html

Yes, indeed, it wasn't worrying me :) I was just interested in what Adrian had...
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 19 Feb 2015, 1:02 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:Yes, indeed, it wasn't worrying me Smile  I was just interested in what Adrian had...

That's where deciphering nuance from typing fails, aaargh! Laughing
Gonzumzum
the 900
the 900

Post by Gonzumzum on Thu 19 Feb 2015, 2:56 pm

stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 19 Feb 2015, 3:00 pm

@Flyingbrick wrote:... they ask about 250 GBP for it. So I am still waiting for a reasonable price. I asked Louise Turner from Fuel exhausts but she was afraid that their exhaust is road legal in GB only -I could have saved GBP 90 otherwise.

Spoke with Louise some time ago on this subject, because neither I am a UK resident. Only legal in the UK. Period.
Checked up on sound emission standards, and it seems the european scheme is E-numbered. This means that your bike must use a can with a specific E-number stamped into it. I believe the CB cans are 'e4'. Newer bikes use higher numbers, most likely coupled to better silencing.
Fuel cans don't have these E-markings, meaning you'll get in trouble with the police if you show up with a UK road legal can.

Same thing in Denmark. Which hasn't kept me from using my Fuel can on a daily basis on danish roads. It sounds - well, meaty... Not that it's loud (it will be loud if you remove the baffle!) in the aargh-another-one-of-those-jerks sense, but simply meaty Smile
I've been stopped 0 times by the police. So many other race-rep-bikes, obnoxiously loud Harleys and similar noise-polluting vehicles crowd the roads here that I simply slip under the radar.

How about german police? Can/are you up to slip under their radar?
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Thu 19 Feb 2015, 5:33 pm

These are affordable prices! We've got the LeoVince, Ixil, Gianelli and a few more. The Leo is the one that most CB riders are into, but in my opinion it looks líke a car muffler. More than that, it is quite noisy. Not the sound you are interested in when buying an non-stock exhaust, but a tingle, a clatter, just some kind of a noise that lets you think whether the engine is still okay or not.

I'm not looking for a loud exhaust, just one with slightly more "bass" if you know what I mean. Not only because the german police is very interested in illegal sound solutions but I don't want to annoy anyone. My morning shift starts at 6 a.m. It isn't necessary to let everybody know that I am leaving at half past five, I think. So I'm not after any racing exhaust and, to be honest, I am still driving a commuter bike with a tiny 500cc twin engine -there's no need for foolishness Wink

But I have to admit that I was never stopped by the police for manipulation reasons by now. Twice I paid some Euros for being a few kilometers too fast -five or ten km/h, that's all. Not that I've never been faster, but they never noticed -at least while I rode a bike.
Gonzumzum
the 900
the 900

Post by Gonzumzum on Thu 19 Feb 2015, 5:43 pm

My Danmoto is very likely what you mention above.
Ease on the throttle and i can past very unnoticed in the middle of town.
At idle, the bike is reasonably quiet.

Only when you rev, or get past in roads with close walls on both sides, that the beast starts screaming...

Danmoto is a good brand. Many recent scramblers/cafe racers have used their exhausts, since it´s a very (or the best) quality/price relation.
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Thu 19 Feb 2015, 5:50 pm

Too bad that non of them is road legal, at least in my country...

This is the Takkoni I am looking for (sorry, I wrote Gianelli before, but this is the one I meant):
http://www.ebay.de/itm/TAKKONI-BLACK-Sportauspuff-Auspuff-Honda-CB-500-S-PC-26-PC-32-93-03-Ruecklaeufer-/381137317210
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 7:59 am

@Flyingbrick wrote:I'm not looking for a loud exhaust, just one with slightly more "bass" if you know what I mean.
My morning shift starts at 6 a.m. It isn't necessary to let everybody know that I am leaving at half past five, I think.
Ah! Another night prowler Smile

I too leave at 5:30ish, and none of my neighbors have had any problems with the Fuel can. As said, it's not loud, just meaty.

I've come to the conclusion that all E-marked cans sound overly civilised. Going overboard with a race can isn't my thing, so the Fuel fits the bill nicely.

Hmmm... I see that you're located round Hannover/Bremen? That's actually within my reach...

Last edited by stormbringer on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 9:41 am

I sometimes get in at the other end of things, pulling up between 11pm-1am. It makes me feel guilty, even though I know most people won't even hear it. As I pull into the last road I often just roll in on tickover. Much easier to do that than try to start on a cold day quietly though.
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 10:27 am

@Stormbringer: Right; I am working at the Hannover airport.
Gonzumzum
the 900
the 900

Post by Gonzumzum on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 10:55 am

Brick! Do you have any good photos of your bike?
By your profile pic, i find it very good lookin.
That Takkoni is a blast. Really good lookin.

In Portugal we don´t have motorcycle inspections, so we don´t suffer from such "tight" rules about sound and such.
But from the moment that some Harleys roll around on their straight pipes...i believe we won´t have nothing to worry about!

The Danmomoto is the cheapest can anyone can buy. Thats the reason why i bought it.
But the quality nowhere matches the price. It´s very very good.
Easy to find good review about them on the webs.
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 11:15 am

Thank you, the pictures are included in my user album as well as in my introduction thread.
I agree with you regarding the Harleys, but remember that they are much older. A bike built in 1950 has to match the former regulations, not those of today, in case of the German laws.
Gonzumzum
the 900
the 900

Post by Gonzumzum on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 11:36 am

Have you decided for the model already?
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 11:38 am

No, not until I get it for less than EUR 200. Perhaps I'll get a chance to buy it used some day.
Gonzumzum
the 900
the 900

Post by Gonzumzum on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 11:43 am

I don´t know if you have looked this, but it´s a good start.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cb+500+takkoni

This one is also interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EpwEZknXJ8

And this shows perfectly how my bike sounds. Note that this is recorded indoors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEKzy04NYLM

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 7:09 pm