Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Replacement fairings - has anyone done it?

The_Wasp
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Replacement fairings - has anyone done it?

Post by The_Wasp on Fri 06 Feb 2015, 9:48 pm

Hi all,

I can't help but feel disheartened when I stare at the poor and bashed up fairings on my yellow CB500 SW. I've had two relatively minor offs in the 1 1/2 years I've had the bike which resulted in a few breakages and cracks/scuffs that I initially filled with Plastex and smoothed over and painted myself. The finish was poor and matt (done in winter in a dusty, cold garden shed didn't help Crying or Very sad). I got all the fairing pieces resprayed back in May last year by a "proper" sprayer. Initially it was good but I noticed many imperfections over the few next few months and found that the lacquer was soft and the paint marked and chipped very easily.

Then I had my second off which cracked even more part of the front fairing and snapped some lugs off. The I left the same "pro" to repair the and respray it again. This time he used fiberglass which left a poor finish underneath which has since cracked under moderate flexing and now new cracks have appeared. Also the paint is also crap and has flaked, bubbled and chipped and generally looks very poor. The headlight section was bug splatted and a light rub with a sponge to remove them also removed the lacquer along with them  Mad

The front end looks tatty and I can either live with it or try and replace them. 2nd hand fairings are hard to come by, new OEM ones even more so and are also stupidly expensive. I found an eBay seller selling reproductions of the entire front section, unpainted, as a single piece and wondered if it might be worth going for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB-500S-500-S-FRONT-FAIRING-/160693368822?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item256a1237f6

It is fiberglass as opposed to ABS but at the moment I am sorely tempted to go for it. There isn't much info on this company's products aside from this blog post:

http://www.beginnerbiker.com/2013/11/fairing-fazer-arrived/
badseeds

Awesome!

Re: Replacement fairings - has anyone done it?

Post by badseeds on Fri 06 Feb 2015, 11:42 pm

Nah. Keep an eye on ebay/free ads. Fibreglass isn't is as robust as the ABS stuff. Alternatively look at an after-market fairing, like Powerbronze f'rinstance.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Sat 07 Feb 2015, 8:21 pm

Seconded, powerbronze. You should get something at a reasonable price too and the fitting kits are fairly standard. The weight of the thing is taken by a bracket that attaches to the frame and the electrics hook up easily enough.

muttley1
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Mon 09 Feb 2015, 12:00 am

I'm not sure the powerbronze fairings would fit easily on an s.
Since the original fairing bracket also holds your clocks, some modification would be required.
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Thu 12 Feb 2015, 9:58 am

Hi there,

a friend of mine bought this type of fairing and is very happy with it. Be advised that this is a one-piece-fairing so maintenance and disassembling the bike will be more diffcult as vou need to take of the whole fairing in some cases instead of one half.

On the other hand, the replacement is well worth the price compared to the genuine parts.

By the way -fibre glass is more rugged than ABS. My BMW has got a fibre fairing which seems to be solid as a rock. Just compare the ABS type FiveStars fairing with the fibre type Gimbel and you'll agree. Plus, if you are in need of a repair, it is much easier to fix. ABS has to be welded in case of a damage.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 11:36 pm