Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Preparing for powder coating...

OneWheelDrive
Godly
Godly

Location : The North a' Scotland, far yon couriers fear tae tread!

Preparing for powder coating...

Post by OneWheelDrive on Thu 05 Feb 2015, 5:51 pm

Hello,

I've just taken my forks apart in preparation for having the lower legs powder coated.

How should I prep them for this?  I'm thinking specifically about masking off the open tops and stopping the coating getting into the holes at the bottoms (where the damper bolts go in and where the axle clamp-bolt screws in).

Can I just use masking tape?  I'm not confident that whoever I take them to to get them coated is going to give me the best advice...

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Smile
glen.wilson1@gmx.com
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: Preparing for powder coating...

Post by glen.wilson1@gmx.com on Thu 05 Feb 2015, 6:37 pm

when i took my wheels to be done i had to have the bearings removed i also had to have a part of the tank removed when having that done. in short anything thats going to melt or warp in the oven will need to be removed. if there decent enough they will block the holes but they don't Very Happy usually use anything special, i wouldnt worry they should know what they are doing.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 05 Feb 2015, 6:42 pm

JerryFuds just been through this.. He'll be along soon...

Sacrificial bolts in the holes is the way forward, but you'll want to re-tap them afterwards.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 05 Feb 2015, 6:54 pm

hi, as glen says whatever you take has to be just metal - with the fork legs that's not going to be hard.

as for covering the holes the coaters took care of that for me but according to what they said when I asked they put 3 layers of cloth tape over anything they don't want shot blasted and then remove that when it's time for the powder for that they use a few layers of masking tape - don't know if they leave it on when it's in the oven.

as for bolt holes they put bungs/bolts in but be prepared to tap out any threads and as it's still possible to get dust in sometimes from behind. also when anything comes back get some high grade wet and dry aswell as cutting paste to smooth out any coating that has snuck it's way in the seems.

surprisingly is not baked in an oven hotter than the fires of hell..... when I turned up early and the wheels were still being done he was able to open the oven and we both walked in to take a look. there's a pic I took while in the oven of my wheels on my thread.
OneWheelDrive
Godly
Godly

Location : The North a' Scotland, far yon couriers fear tae tread!

Post by OneWheelDrive on Thu 05 Feb 2015, 7:47 pm

Thanks for you advice, chaps - I think from what you've said, it's not going to be too difficult to prepare them properly in that case...

Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 8:57 pm