Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Rear wheel installation

jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Rear wheel installation

Post by jchesshyre on Wed 28 Jan 2015, 9:07 pm

Right. I've been working on bikes since I started riding them in 2002. In that time I've racked up roughly 180,000 miles on various bikes, the majority on the CB500 I had before my current low-mileage one. I'd consider myself pretty proficient – I do everything except tyres myself and (touch wood) have never had any problems with the work I've done. Yes some jobs are fiddly and my patience has improved hugely, but I'm pretty good with tools, understanding machines, and using my hands.

However, I find installing the rear wheel on the CB a F * * * I N G  N I G H T M A R E. It was annoying but do-able on my previous rear drum brake one, but the added factor of the rear disc brake means I get into an enormous flap whenever I do it. Getting the pads round the disc without getting any of it greasy, and then lining up the chain adjusters, wheel, and caliper bracket whilst manoeuvring the axle and lifting the (quite heavy) wheel AND not letting the bloody spacers fall out is such a faff.

Does anyone have any tips of the kind that aren't in the Haynes manual, that you've learnt just from doing the job several times as one does each time, that might make it easier for me? It makes me dread doing any work that involves taking the rear wheel out! Cheers in advance.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Re: Rear wheel installation

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 28 Jan 2015, 9:14 pm

Put a block of wood under the center stand to raise it up, sit behind the bike almost under the rear tray with the wheel in your lap and you can take the weight with your legs positioning the wheel freeing up your hands for the axle.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 28 Jan 2015, 9:52 pm

Get a friend to help you!
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 28 Jan 2015, 10:57 pm

@sullivj wrote:Get a friend to help you!

Wot 'e said ^
However if no assistant is available, I found that it makes it easier if all the gubbins is threaded onto a long screwdriver or similar before attempting to insert the axle bolt.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Thu 29 Jan 2015, 10:30 am

Thanks, these are great suggestions. I'm overhauling the rear brake at the weekend so in the absence of wooden block and friends (lol) I will try the big screwdriver trick. That's a great idea - of course being thin it means it all only needs to be roughly lined up to get the screwdriver through which then gives enough support to leave the hands more free to get the axle through. Genius!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 29 Jan 2015, 1:33 pm

In a similar-but-different if you put a bit of wood (or similar) under the middle of where the rear wheel normally goes you won't have to lift it as much to get it into position, which I have found also helps.

You are right, it is a pain - it does get a bit better with repeated exposure.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Thu 29 Jan 2015, 1:49 pm

I think block of wood + screwdriver trick sounds like a plan.

As I said, I didn't mind doing it with the drum brake, but adding the disc brake to the equation tips the balance for me from 'little bit of a faff' to 'AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHH'.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 29 Jan 2015, 4:24 pm

Conjuring up a picture in the mind - approach your bike from the rear, as an amorous arab unto his camel with arms outspread. Everything located with the long screwdriver operated by one hand and the axle bolt insertion attempting with the other. Have a length of wood under the wheel that rests at it's mid point on a transverse piece. Then applying a load with one knee will allow you to lever the wheel up and down while attempting to insert the axle and withdraw the screwdriver at the same time. Enjoy 
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Fri 30 Jan 2015, 12:07 pm

yes you can just picture the amorous arab with with a big smile on his face (or maybe both) Laughing
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Fri 30 Jan 2015, 12:56 pm

Ha ha! This post made me laugh! Hell yeah - rear wheel installation is a ball-ache. I have drum-braked machine and I sit on the floor behind, propping up the wheel with my toes and knock the spindle through. I've become quite adept at holding the wheel in place with losing any spacers. Funny, I assumed the disc equipped bike would be easier. The easiest machine I've ever had was a BMW boxer with a single-sided swinging arm.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 30 Jan 2015, 1:39 pm

It must just be practice, I found it a bit of a pain at first on the CBF which is exactly the same except the wheel is allot heavier but find it no problem at all so easy as pie on the CB..... 

I always make sure I have a bit of wood under the centre stand last time it was only 1/4" but a nice inch makes it even easier, just means you can get right under there and don't keep hitting the number plate drying to manoeuvre it. I got the idea from watching the guys at the tyre place while getting one of my MANY MANY punctures repaired.
peatrich
Rossi
Rossi

Post by peatrich on Sun 01 Feb 2015, 6:06 pm

I, like Beresford, use the piece of timber as a lever idea.  Use my knee to adjust the height of the wheel leaving both hands free to push/bash the axle through and line up the caliper. I use a short length of old floor board with a piece of 3x3 as a fulcrum.
Vanis
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Vanis on Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:50 pm

Old thread I know, apologies. I do have a tip though. I've not had all that much experience of rear wheel changes but I've found a plastic motorhome levelling ramp/chock is great for the job, you can just roll the wheel up it until it's in position and it's easy to hold there with your knee while you get the axle in.

The thing I have the most bother with is alignment, the marks on the tensioners are quite far apart and there's no marker on the swingarm to line them up with - any tips or is it just a case of eyeing it up against the end of the window (is that what it's called?). Just seems a bit vague, or does a few mil not matter that much? I would have thought it would affect handling and tyre wear.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 06 Nov 2015, 9:10 pm

@Vanis wrote:The thing I have the most bother with is alignment, the marks on the tensioners are quite far apart and there's no marker on the swingarm to line them up with - any tips or is it just a case of eyeing it up against the end of the window (is that what it's called?). Just seems a bit vague, or does a few mil not matter that much? I would have thought it would affect handling and tyre wear.

I match the size of the gap between the adjuster mark and swingarm slot with a screwdriver bit and use that to match up the other side. Just make sure you keep the wheel butted up so you don't get a false measurement!
Vanis
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Vanis on Fri 06 Nov 2015, 9:41 pm

Ha, aye. Use something to measure it - cheers. You know when something's so obvious you can't see it..? Nice one, I just found a screw head buried in my rear tyre so I'll be putting that tip to use very soon
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sat 07 Nov 2015, 2:33 am

I wouldn't bother removing the wheel to fit a plug.
If I were doing it properly & removing the tyre to inspect the internals I'd just ride the bke with screwed tyre into the shop.

Come to think of it, there's no need to touch the reach adjustment to remove the wheel. Once the spindle's out you can move the wheel forward to disengage the sproket.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sat 07 Nov 2015, 10:27 am

I recently started measuring the distance from the back of the swingarm to one of the markers on the adjustment blocks (the same one on each side, obviously) with Vernier calipers.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sat 07 Nov 2015, 10:54 am

@jchesshyre wrote:I recently started measuring the distance from the back of the swingarm to one of the markers on the adjustment blocks (the same one on each side, obviously) with Vernier calipers.

That's the most precise way if you've got a Vernier. I just use a screwdriver bit as I always have them to hand Smile
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 07 Nov 2015, 12:28 pm

......or use a steel rule measuring the distance of one of the marker bars to the edge of the swing arm cut out window.

Besides I don't think you have to be millimetre perfect, using the bars by eye on each side should be sufficient.... as one instructional video I watched stated otherwise what would be the point of putting them on there if not to be used.

Dan
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 07 Nov 2015, 3:03 pm

I use a steel rule to measure both sides. I changed both tires today rear wheel a f--k to get back in with that stupid idea of  honda,no fixing bolts  to remove rear caliper, took rear wheel out with out going at chain adjustment, it was different story going back in  not impressed, ive removed gud few rear wheels over years , dont remember it as bad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 7:39 am