Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Free Honda CB500 (1993) project

Poll

Keep and restore as standard or customize to something like the pictures in the thread?

[ 5 ]
42% [42%] 
[ 6 ]
50% [50%] 
[ 0 ]
0% [0%] 
[ 1 ]
8% [8%] 
[ 0 ]
0% [0%] 

Total Votes: 12
alexknight2000
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by alexknight2000 on Wed 21 Jan 2015, 1:33 pm

Hi, so as not to hijack the other excellent thread in regards to a Honda CB500 restore I am setting this an another independent thread.

The background is that the bike was acquired from a friend as they were emigrating to Aussie and could not longer store at a friend's Grandma's barn.

The idea is to help my step-son gain some experience in a motorcycle rebuild as from what I have witnessed he can be a real monkey boy in regards to motor cycle maintenance. In addition he is hoping to start a motor vehicle apprenticeship when he leaves school this year.

The project hopefully will inspire him to continue with another project later on, as last Sept he acquired his first Moped, Aprillia RS50, and has started to realise it is NOT the same as working on his BMX. . We collected the Aprillia up in parts and we  (well I) got it roadworthy. He then decided to fettle and yea, before you know it we had a list or MORE repairs, such as broken nipple in the Aluminium radiator, broken rear brake master cylinder, wires pulled of petrol sensor etc etc etc.

So I think he has now learned his expensive lesson. (although this expense has been heavily subsidised by the Bank Of Step Father), hopefully he won't go the way of being subsidised for the rest of his life by the tax payer, hence getting him interested in something other than the Xbox, laptop, phone, TV and sleeping all day and bumming around the village. You get the idea.

Any how I digress.

What we would customise it to would be something like the examples below.

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Free Honda CB500 (1993) project

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 1:45 pm

I voted twice once for customise and once for restore, my rational is this: they aren't mutually exclusive.

Before you customise it (like in the pictures above) it is worth getting it working (in standard-ish condition, without spending too much money) so you can iron out any big problems before spending a lot of time (and possibly money) on customising.

As some of us have found, sometimes bigger problems come out of the woodwork a few hundred miles and few months use down the road, so I would say that it is worth giving it a bit of use before making your mind up about what to do.

From and aesthetic perspective I don't mind either bike pictured; so go for it!

Post by Guest on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 6:53 pm

Sell parts to fund restoration?
alexknight2000
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by alexknight2000 on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 9:23 pm

Both interesting viewpoints.

I am going along the route of keeping as standard and costs down to ensure that it is all 'problem' free.

So parts off, parts cleaned and inspected, reinstalled and mot it it, then run it for a few hundred miles and then complete the customisation.

It is really a hobby as I have two other bikes to ride whilst this one is customised.

If any major problems come out of the woodwork I will break it possibly???

Just enjoy working on the things. The other bikes I have are all old models. One has been nut and bolt striped and rebuilt the other is waiting to be brought back to showroom condition.

Fun, fun, fun
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 9:45 pm

I like ET voted twice for customise and restore - I think take it close to standard but thats not to stop the input of your own flare..... I think going completely custom might cause more problems and unless your going to get wire wheels and do something else with the swing arm caps will never look properly like a cafe racer.
Gonzumzum
the 900
the 900

Post by Gonzumzum on Fri 23 Jan 2015, 12:05 am

Alex.
You sound like a really cool pal!

I think ET makes a great point.
Doing some serious mileage i think is the main point (after solving all other minor issues) in order to, mainly, get a feel for the state of the engine and such.
Because only after knowing that the heart of the bike is strong, it makes sense consider the rest.
In my opinion....

I bought my bike with 120 000 km, and in the begging i was quite apreensive. I have already made 55 000 km, and through this miles, got much more aware of how my engine is, and now i feel confident that it still could (easily) do a tour around the world.
It may fail tommorrow, but at least, my mind is at ease believing it wont! Smile

In terms of options, i think you have plenty.
I would love to do a simmilar project, but i need my bike more standard to travel with my Lady and our stuff (topbox etc).

I will leave with some of the pics i found around.
Painting the tank, and simplifying both the front and rear, will give you a nice clean look.

alexknight2000
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by alexknight2000 on Fri 23 Jan 2015, 7:26 am

Hi Gonz,

That is interesting and I have saved the pictures for future reference.

Alex

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Sep 2017, 7:59 pm