Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Brembo caliper slider pins

The_Wasp
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Re: Brembo caliper slider pins

Post by The_Wasp on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 6:44 pm

Sorry to dig this up guys but I need some advice. I am experiencing a knocking under front braking and I believe it to be related to the slider pins, the caliper is a loose fit on the pins and is wobbling around. The pins aren't corroded at all and are in fact quite shiny where they have been covered up but the wobbling is persistent even with re greasing.

The headset bearings were replaced last year and have no free play present, likewise the wheel bearings are good with no play felt when trying to move the wheel back and forth.

Is there a source for Brembo slider pins? There are mentions on KTM forums of using Honda/Nissin pins from the like of an xr400 but I need to compare the dimensions to make sure they match.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 7:07 pm

it's possible for the pads to shift slightly and knock when the free play is taken up under breaking, could it be that?
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 7:17 pm

btw I have just checked and I have a front brembo caliper mount bracket with slide pin spare aswell as a rear caliper slide pin that fixes onto the caliper (not sure if they are the same as the front.....)

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 9:56 pm

Are you sure that your caliper pad springs are properly seated? Mine used to knock, until I seated the springs properly!
The_Wasp
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by The_Wasp on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 10:02 pm

@jerryfudd wrote:it's possible for the pads to shift slightly and knock when the free play is taken up under breaking, could it be that?

It could be but the whole caliper rocks about on the pins if I grab it by hand a try to move it. Is there a wear limit for these?
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 11:51 pm

I don't know about a wear limit but I seem to remember you can't buy them separately which would suggest it wouldn't be a consumable item.

I don't recall there being much play at all when I rebuilt the caliper.

have you tried getting the front wheel off the ground and getting someone to apply the brake while you give it a yank to replicate?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 09 Aug 2015, 6:58 am

Check your disc for warpishness too.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Mon 10 Aug 2015, 2:11 am

When you say knocking, do you mean a single knock as you apply the brakes, or a rhythmic, regular knocking the whole time the brakes are on?
The_Wasp
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by The_Wasp on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 2:24 pm

It's a single knock as I apply the brakes. I haven't checked for a warped disc.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 2:32 pm

pretty sure if it was warped you'd get a knock as they turn.

I'd still go with checking the pad springs and pin and while the pads are out have a clean, check pistons are returning correctly and refit with some fresh copper grease.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 2:41 pm

Yeah, a warped disc would definitely manifest as a cyclic knocking during braking.

My rear brakes did what you're describing at one point and it turned out I'd put the spring in the wrong 'groove' in the caliper and it wasn't holding the pads still, allowing them to move a bit as the brakes were applied. The same thing would definitely be more noticeable on the front brakes.

I'd scrutinise the parts diagram both on something like Lings and also in the Haynes manual and check you definitely have the spring installed correctly.

When the caliper and pads are mounted on the bike, can you move the pads around at all?
The_Wasp
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by The_Wasp on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 11:09 pm

That could well be something to look at next time I take the caliper off. I wasn't aware that there was more than one way to place the spring in position.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 11:15 pm

What you can check without taking the caliper off is whether the pads can move a bit vertically if you try and 'wobble' them with your fingers. A little bit of movement is OK but if it's maybe 4mm or more then the spring's not doing its job.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 3:39 pm