Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Brembo caliper slider pins

jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Brembo caliper slider pins

Post by jchesshyre on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 2:31 pm

The slider pins on my front and my rear calipers are badly corroded. Covered in rust-coloured stuff and spectacularly pitted/bumpy. I've cleaned them up reasonably well a couple of times in the last 20,000 miles but really I want to replace them. With the Nissin caliper you can just unscrew them and put new pins in, but it doesn't seem like the pins are available separately for the Brembo ones and furthermore Haynes says 'Do not attempt to remove the pins on V, W, SW, X, SX, Y and SY models'. 

New front and rear calipers from Lings would cost...wait for it...£761.07 total. Laughable.

I suspect that used calipers on ebay etc might well have the same problem; indeed I have a spare front caliper which I've had for a while when I accidentally got the wrong one for my Nissin-calipered bike, and its pins are corroded in exactly the same fashion.

Can anyone see a way around this or do I need to just give the pins a proper rogering with a file and keep cleaning/lubing them?

Last edited by jchesshyre on Sat 24 Jan 2015, 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Brembo caliper slider pins

Post by sullivj on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 3:29 pm

Honda can provide the rear pin for the Bremo rear brake, but can't supply the front one (as its discontinued)...

I just ordered one of these for replacing my front one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400779061722?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 3:33 pm

Do you by any chance mean the hanger pin that goes through the pads? I'm talking about the slider pins – there are two on each caliper, one on the caliper which slides into the bracket, and one on the bracket which slides into the caliper.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 3:53 pm

Sorry, yes I was.
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 4:12 pm

@jchesshyre wrote:New front and rear calipers from Lings would cost...wait for it...£761.07 total. Laughable.

It's strange, stuff like this, isn't it? I can't believe anyone ever buys them. You could get another bike for that. Do they really just have stock of these things sat around in a warehouse, with a funny money price tag on them?

I looked into replacing my radiator fan, the rad is popped so I've ordered a new one, thought I'd replace the rusty fossil on the back of it while it was off. Contacted David Silver to see what they could do. The fan motor would cost £227 plus VAT, and the blades another £35 plus vat on top of it! I'll stick with the fossil, it still spins, and I expect a few more layers of hammerite won't hurt it.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 5:43 pm

These absurd prices could be related to the fact that all the scribblers for the weekly bike rag think nothing of £800 shock absorbers, exhausts at a grand + and wheel sets at £2000. Maybe Honda and the other manufacturers assume we're all like that !!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 19 Jan 2015, 1:20 pm

They are silly prices but, lets face it, you are paying them to keep ancient parts for (nearly) 20 years just in case you need them... not really surprising it costs a few quid!  

It is only less for *some* parts (cars included) for two reasons:

* they are used on more than one model and (preferably) more than one brand of vehicle

* there are so many of said vehicle (think Ford Mondeo or similar) around that it is worth making
spares when the OEM stops supplying them

Anyway, back to your slider pins:  I wouldn't attack them with a file, coarse/medium wet and dry paper will enable you to keep them 'rounder' (unless you are very careful with the file) while you remove the rust.  Obviously you want to remove as little as possible using increasingly finer grades of paper until they are smooth.

You can tell if they are 'past it' when you put the caliper back together - if you can obviously rock it backwards and forwards on the hanger then there is probably too much play and you'll need a new caliper hanger (hopefully with new pins!).  If you don't replace it you might hear a 'clonk' when you put on brakes; not good.

If they are fine then it is also worth replacing the rubber boots and filling them with red rubber grease to keep things sliding nicely.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 24 Jan 2015, 9:32 am

don't suppose you found new ones of these? took mine out yesterday and have seen better days!
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sat 24 Jan 2015, 9:36 am

No, they're not replaceable (on the Brembo calipers; they are on the Nissins).

But...as luck would have it I found a very nice condition rear caliper plus hanger bracket (there's a slider pin on each of them) on the 'bay with almost pristine slider pins for £35.

Just need to find a front one now, which could get a bit more expensive.

I think the first time I looked for these on ebay I was just too impatient and all the ones on there had totally rogered slider pins, leading me to believe that all examples would be like this. But I think especially if they're off an '01 or '02 machine it is possible to find some OK ones.

It's just a little bit annoying having to replace the whole caliper when other than the slider pins my calipers are fine, but if that's how it has to be to have working brakes on my CB5 then that's how it has to be.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 24 Jan 2015, 9:47 am

took another look in the light of day and wasn't as bad as I first thought so fingers crossed for the front!
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 5:44 pm

The pins appear to be removable, so maybe we could get a batch of S/S ones run off by an engineering business somewhere.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 6:18 pm

@Beresford wrote:
The pins appear to be removable, so maybe we could get a batch of S/S ones run off by an engineering business somewhere.

I'd buy that..... btw how do you get the one out of the caliper body?
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 6:35 pm

This is a great idea. The Haynes manual does say don't attempt to remove them, but actually I have a spare caliper that I might be willing to experiment on...

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 6:35 pm

Does it have a couple of flats on it? The diagram looks like it might...
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 6:36 pm

@sullivj wrote:Does it have a couple of flats on it? The diagram looks like it might...

only on the bracket side not on the one in the caliper......
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 6:37 pm

@jerryfudd wrote:

@sullivj wrote:Does it have a couple of flats on it? The diagram looks like it might...

ah I see what you mean - on the pin itself. yes, it does I might give that a go.
shropshirewildman
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by shropshirewildman on Sun 01 Feb 2015, 8:49 am

i could do with these pins for both front and rear brakes if anyone cares to make any, my bike failed MOT on slicking front brake and I think that this is part of the problem.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 04 Feb 2015, 3:42 pm

I know we've brushed across the pad pins so wanted to add I've just bought a set of these to try....

http://www.pro-bolt.com/titanium-caliper-pin-brembo-individual.html#.VNI7wy4WOzs

its the only Brembo pins they do and they are listed for 'Motorcycle Yamaha XT660X 07' so i looked up the stock pin and this is what came up which is exactly like the CB500.

So I thought id just take a punt and go for it.... fingers crossed!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 04 Feb 2015, 6:14 pm

They show a shank size in the site of 5mm. The one I took out measured up at 5.95mm so I'm interested to see how they work out....

Also, the picture doesn't show a spring collar that the caliper is specifically enlarged to accept (7.29mm unsprung), so they might flap about like a whores drawers... Time will tell..
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 05 Feb 2015, 9:11 am

@jerryfudd wrote:

@jerryfudd wrote:

ah I see what you mean - on the pin itself. yes, it does I might give that a go.

btw it seems that the 'unremovable' slide pin (as it doesn't have a spanner hex like on the bracket side) is actually quite easily removed once you clean it and notice the number 5 hex socket in the top of it Wink
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Thu 05 Feb 2015, 9:44 am

I wonder why the hell Haynes warns you not to 'attempt' to remove them on the Brembo caliper?
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 05 Feb 2015, 10:51 am

no idea, especially as I think it's the Haynes that has tr torque values for fitting them - or might be the workshop manuals....
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Thu 05 Feb 2015, 11:01 am

In the Haynes the torque values for the slider pins are just for the R and T models, i.e. the Nissin caliper. Don't know about the Honda manual though.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 05 Feb 2015, 11:03 am

lol oops...... well I'm sure it'll be fine Smile think it was something like 13nm I did the bracket side to.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Thu 05 Feb 2015, 11:07 am

It's probably just because they have thread lock on them or something...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 2:44 pm