Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Rear brake pad life

jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Rear brake pad life

Post by jchesshyre on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 2:24 pm

How many miles do most of you with rear disc models get out of your rear pads? I had a rear drum model for miles and never had to replace the shoes in 120,000 miles! I've had my rear disc model since 13,000 miles and replaced the pads soon after I got it. I just checked them and was rather dismayed to see that they more or less need replacing now, assuming they'd last for ages. But then I realise that actually I've done about 14,000 miles since I changed them. Is that more or less normal wear? The caliper does need overhauling actually as the piston-side pad is more worn than the other one.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Rear brake pad life

Post by Beresford on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 5:33 pm

One set of ebay rear pads I bought didn't last 2000 miles Evil or Very Mad
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 5:52 pm

They don't last for long, it's important to make sure the slider pins are clean & greased to keep the wear even.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:35 pm

Don't know what I'm at then, have same rear pads in as when I bought the bike 12 years ago! 30000 miles of use. I do keep the pad pin copper greased as it can get a bit mucky very quickly. The rear brake does do the squeak thing every so often.

muttley1
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 6:38 pm

Yeah, that's sort of the kind of mileage I'd hoped for. However, my slider pins were f*cked when I bought the bike last year (though I cleaned them up as best as I could and keep greasing them) – see my other post about this earlier today – and also my rear disc has a very small amount of run-out because of corrosion on the hub where it sits.

PS they were OEM pads.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 7:06 pm

I suppose it depends on your riding style and what sort of riding you're doing ie town stop start or cruising. I use EBC sintered pads which have great stopping power but they last about 10K I guess? Surface rust on the discs is a killer if your bike lives outside as well.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 2:52 pm