Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

[solved]Hello from South Shields and THANKYOU!!

jonnytub
jonnytub
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

[solved]Hello from South Shields and THANKYOU!! Empty [solved]Hello from South Shields and THANKYOU!!

Post by jonnytub on Fri 26 Dec 2014, 9:24 pm

Hi guys, quick hello to say thanks for all the wealth of information, I've used it to help rebuild my 500 from the frame up changing a few things on the way!

Original bike (not quite unmolested by previous owner) back in may 2014. 47k on the clock, bt45's. Motad exhaust. standard everything else.
[solved]Hello from South Shields and THANKYOU!! 20140510_155805

Previous owner was a bike garage owner or employee in Scotland so it's been well looked after apart from a dodgy scottoiler install.  Back end and underneath were absolutely covered in thick sludge, more on this later.

Anyhow, the plan over the winter months has been to strip the bike down to it's frame, paint it all up in the black and gold colours and modernise the look of the bike (sorry purists).  I'm just not a fan of the old headlight look and barge sized indicators.  I've changed the whole lighting system to LED.

Whilst I'm on about changes, I've made sure the ones I've made are completely reversible so anyone who loves these bikes can put it back to stock without a problem.

Anyhow, just wanted to say thanks for the help, I've searched through the forum for answers to some problems and neglected to say thank you as I've left.  Too many members have helped me I can't remember all the posts!

I'll put more pics of the dismantle, clean, repaint and rebuild if you guys are OK with that, don't want to spam with my first post!

Cheers

John
jonnytub
jonnytub
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

[solved]Hello from South Shields and THANKYOU!! Empty Re: [solved]Hello from South Shields and THANKYOU!!

Post by jonnytub on Fri 26 Dec 2014, 9:56 pm

Sorry, meant to say a big thank you to Ken & Rob (as far as I know they're not members but perhaps one day
they'll come across this post ;-)

Ken, thanks for the paint job!

Rob, quality work on the recovered seat!

List of upgrades and the bike build so far!!!

Mirror upgrades with LED indicators built in.
Rear tail modified to accept an oval LED brake light and bullet LED indicators.
Front mudguard reshaped to a more modern look.
Rear mudguard reshaped for a more modern look.
Shocks repainted and decals applied.
New rear shocks (cheap chinese version I will try out, if crap, old one's are re-chromed and ready to go)
Aftermarket fuel cap.
LED rear number plate light.
New original footpegs.
Streetfighter headlight (Cheezy I know for a 500 but what can I do, I can't stand the original!)
Braced renthal bars
TSubos wavy discs front and rear.
New custom made wiring loom.
Replaced worn rear tyre.
All new bearings.
New OEM radiator, second hand radiator fan.
Replaced airbox with two direct to carb air filters.
New pads, pins and rubbers for the brakes.
New battery
New chain, front and rear sprockets (Scottoiler is bagged up!)
New clutch, throttle off and on cables.
Old hoses were given a new lease of life with armourall rubber protector and sealant.
All new stainless steel hose clamps.
New exhaust head studs and gaskets. (exhaust is now matt black)
Fork seal and oil change (P.S. turn the forks upside down to avoid covering your face in oil when removing old seals Very Happy )
New K&N oil filter Chromed

So, long list I know but I love tinkering with the bike, they're a dream to work on.  Here's where I'm currently at with her, work
commitments through January mean it probably won't be ride ready till late Feb, early March.

[solved]Hello from South Shields and THANKYOU!! 2014-12-23%2B13.27.55
jerryfudd
jerryfudd

Awesome!

[solved]Hello from South Shields and THANKYOU!! Empty Re: [solved]Hello from South Shields and THANKYOU!!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 26 Dec 2014, 11:41 pm

Hi,

Will be good to see some more pics..... what direct to carb filters did you use?

Dan
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 8:13 am

Hi and welcome. I'm with JerryFudd, more pics would be great. 

You look very young in that first picture  Laughing , the bike looked nice in Red, but I'm sure will look great in black too.
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 10:06 am

Welcome Jonny, looking forward to seeing the finished article!
eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 11:15 am

Great! Nice to hear that you've found the forum useful - even better that you've decided to register and join in!

Post as many pictures as you like: if it gets *really* clogged with pictures we can put a warning in the subtitle of the post so people who want to avoid the pictures can do so. Everyone else can just enjoy Smile

It will be interesting to see how well you get it to run without an airbox - previous attempts have suggested that it is better to stick with the airbox, however there may be something obvious we were missing.
spitonyourgrave22
spitonyourgrave22
Admin
Admin

Post by spitonyourgrave22 on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 11:28 am

Hey @jonnytub always nice to have new members! Especially at Christmas! The bike is looking tidy so far, I'm liking the matte frame a lot and the dark shocks! KEep the pics coming, and have a great new year!
badseeds
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 12:59 pm

Wow! I love the matt black. Gold wheels always look great on CB500s. Welcome and more pics please!
jonnytub
jonnytub
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by jonnytub on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 7:51 pm

Yeah, I haven't fitted the new air filters yet so may have to go back the box,  the ones I got I picked up from a local garage, they look a bit like these ones I found on fleabay except without the plastic shroud shown on this one:

Fleabay item number:

Tank and panels are still at the painters, still haven't picked them up, been ready a week and they look great in satin black, not sure if I should leave it solid black or throw original decals back on or some of my own like I did with the forks, decisions.  Also got Ken to VHT my engine, carbs, downpipes and chrome exhaust.

I did the wheels myself, it's not the original honda gold (it's ford solar gold), which I'd used on another job and loved it with plenty lacquer over.  The wheels shine the rest is either matt or satin black, makes them pop :-)

I'll try and link to my cloud storage so I'm not filling this page up with hundreds of pre op photos.  Shouldn't be long, uploading now.

Totally agree by the way,  I've aged horribly over the last 9 months lol!

Jonny
jonnytub
jonnytub
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by jonnytub on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 8:16 pm

OK, so here's the link!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ncb3k72hi856no5/AADgsL-k_t6n8yks3sal22Cka?dl=0

Hopefully it works!  Ignore the last few photos of me attempting to clean and repaint the rear swingarm, wasn't happy with the results which is why it got sent to Ken!
jonnytub
jonnytub
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by jonnytub on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 8:30 pm

Can I just quickly add that anyone replacing brake disc bolts to not buy them online!  I searched forever for a set and refused to pay the £5 per bolt most online retailers were asking for, even fleabay wasn't cheap, got a full set from my local bike garage for £15 or £18 I think it was, much cheaper than the £50-£60 I was getting quoted from the likes of DSP, M&P etc.  They torque up just fine.  PM for details.
jerryfudd
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 8:33 pm

Can you just replace the airbox with any bolt on filter? would it need any carb adjustment?
jonnytub
jonnytub
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by jonnytub on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 8:41 pm

Guess I'll have to wait and see (scurries off to view other posts on this).

I've got a cracking mechanic with a soft spot for these bikes who can do the fine adjustments for me if needed.

I'm guessing you probably can't though as the air flow speed will change once the filter is changed, I'll pop them on and drop it round to him to see what he can do, if not, the old airbox with new filter is waiting.....
jonnytub
jonnytub
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by jonnytub on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 9:21 pm

More pics from the earlier days, please note that I took most of these for reference for when putting the bike back together LOL, hopefully they might help someone else doing anything similar.  If you can't see what your looking for just ask as I took 1000's of photos from different angles, thank god for cheap memory..and cloud storage....

Just sorry I didn't take as many putting it back together but kudos to Honda for that, it's not too difficult, with photos....

Good night guys.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o8vh7wozgl2surr/AADxBV8zGH5_psZ2P7UDNrJHa?dl=0
Ayrton F
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 12:16 pm

Hey! 

Welcome to the forum! Just had a look at your pictures there! There is a lot but thats a good thing! Cant wait to see the finished result.
jonnytub
jonnytub
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by jonnytub on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 8:20 pm

More pics, let me know when you've had enough lol!

These are for the custom rear tail and front mudguard, they're bashed up a bit as they spent some time getting kicked around in the garage before I got them sent off to the painter for 'proper' finishing and painting.  Whilst I can fill and sand no problem, getting the fine detail right is a whole other thing as I'm sure your aware, the led housing was fibre glassed in from the rear and a rough fit oval cut through the filler, once it seated and bolted in securely I left it well alone for the painters to get right, he probably cursed the hell out of me  Twisted Evil  

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xcni219aytc6h9p/AACSsS75pq_TU-7Ql6vkbJUIa?dl=0
jonnytub
jonnytub
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by jonnytub on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 8:33 pm

I've added a new pic to that last link which is a future mod I'd like to make to the brake light so it doesn't look so little in the rear tail and to give it a sharper look, I might have to try it on a spare rear as I'm not sure how it will work out with regards to the frame.  I don't want to mod the frame if I can help it so if needs be someone can return it to stock if I ever decide to pass her on.

Sorry for crude edit

Last edited by jonnytub on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnytub
jonnytub
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by jonnytub on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 10:47 pm

I'll explain myself RE: 'sorry for crude edit'.

Quick mockup in paint shop how I'd like the back end to look eventually, the red sections in the link provided are the parts I'd like to cut out for a sharper tail finish however just having them refinished and painted I think I might wait a summer before taking this task on, and doing it on a knackered spare first.

My direct to carb air filter replacements should arrive shortly, can anyone provide some links as to why this is proving such a problem on the CB500?  I presume the airflow is the major factor, plus jetting, fuel ratio, etc, just want to give my mechanic a heads up....

I'd rather fit these, have it tuned to suit and leave well alone as opposed to dropping a freshly VHT painted engine onto the deck, refit the engine and airbox back into a freshly painted frame without making a scratch....

Not too much of a problem, just time and diagnostics, I don't pay pay for the time but the diagnostics costs a FORTUNE

Future CB500 owners, your bike is reliable as hell, should it go wrong, it's cheap to fix, should it go really wrong and you want to keep it? It's still really cheap to to fix, should it end up catastrophic, it's still a cheap fix (new engine £150 on fleabay), don't go down the road I'm on, where I'd like my CB500 to look brand new, you'll spend 3 times as much as it's worth, suffer indiscriminate bank balance pains and a hell of a nagging wife saying you'll never get your money back.  And............. she's right, but the bike you have after all is said and done, is the bike you'll ride for the rest of your life!.
jonnytub
jonnytub
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by jonnytub on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 10:50 pm

Sorry guys, it's not even New Years and I'm posting this shit, never mind, already decided to keep my CB and start saving for the next one...
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 9:02 am

Don't apologise, our bikes are our passion and you can't put a price on being free Very Happy
jonnytub
jonnytub
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by jonnytub on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 8:47 pm

Results for air filters:

Engine needs dropped back out and original airbox refitted or fork out £300-£400 for a custom job which may or may not be as good as original, tempting but not so much this time of year!!!

Mechanic was fab, spent the whole day trying different combinations and dyno testing, jet changes etc and only charged me 50 smackers, love this fella!!

Worth trying I guess as the air filters would have looked good on the bike but at best he achieved a good idle speed with similar acceleration until 4,500 rpm, couldn't improve on the previous tests done before breakdown.
jonnytub
jonnytub
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by jonnytub on Thu 01 Jan 2015, 9:11 pm

Must have guilt tripped the wifey over christmas somehow, got me this..

Happy New Years to me ;-)

Thanks wifey, even came with tray liners and organisers.

Love it

[solved]Hello from South Shields and THANKYOU!! Img_0910
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 01 Jan 2015, 9:14 pm

Nice. What's in the black case?
jonnytub
jonnytub
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by jonnytub on Thu 01 Jan 2015, 9:16 pm

Hmm, she just told me it was on sale for £100, down from £250.  Now I can "keep my shit all in all one place."

It's actually not a bad bit of halfords kit, it's not a pro tool chest but I should be able to get half my gear in................
jonnytub
jonnytub
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by jonnytub on Thu 01 Jan 2015, 9:18 pm

In the black case used to be: http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-professional-170-piece-socket-ratchet-spanner-set

It's now stored in the blue tool chest..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jun 2019, 6:01 am