Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

HELP!!!!

badseeds

Awesome!

HELP!!!!

Post by badseeds on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 6:48 pm

So after gently hitting the header pipes with a rubber mallet, the returning 'clang' told me that the pipes were loose. So I reckoned on removing it to investigate further, snapping one of the fuggin' studs in the process.

Any ideas on the best way to remove it? I don't have any heat source or a stud extractor, but it looks like there be enough stud left to unscrew it. Thoughts?

Oh, that's Plusgas dripping off the remnants of the stud, not one of my tears.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: HELP!!!!

Post by sullivj on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 6:54 pm

File a couple of flats on the side of the stud.

Bang it on the end to try to 'shock' it loose.

Attach a decent pair of mole grips to the flats and try to turn the stud.

If that doesn't work, you may need to get a nut welded onto the stud.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 7:22 pm

I aint got any molegrips.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 7:26 pm

When do you need it running by is the question!
Mole's would be the answer, the same happened to mine and they got it out.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 7:28 pm

Tomorrow. I'm working til Christmas Eve, then off til the 5th.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 7:30 pm

Bugger. I'd be tempted to refit it as it is in that case and wrap an exhaust bandage round it.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 7:34 pm

They aren't expensive.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-250mm-Heavy-Duty-Grip-Wrench-Vice-Locking-Lock-Pliers-Mole-Grips-Tools-0336-/321329787955?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ad0bf7433
and sometimes cheaper in pound shops.
If you are going to try this without heat, then when you grip the stud waggle it back and forward to try and loosen it. Don't try to forcefully unscrew it straightaway, you'll only shear it off again.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 8:09 pm

Actually if you can get enough access, try filing flats on it and tighten a drill chuck on it, you may get it to loosen.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 8:15 pm

I'm with teamster on this one. You haven't got the needed tools at hand and there's still one 'sound' stud to hold the header pipe in place. Should you then - tomorrow, at work - get a chance to weld a nut on the remaining stump, you have another shot at removing it. But tread carefully, you've stuck your hands in a hornet's nest there.

Relax.
Refit.
Repair - tomorrow.

Tools needed: Heat gun, welding machine, plusgas, small hammer, 10mm socket wrench. And most importantly: Patience. If you know you can't stay patient, leave it to someone who can!

This comes from someone who's been there, done that. Take it from me; at all costs, avoid snapping the stump as you will then risk having to take out the engine or top end for a machinist to drill out and fit a helicoil.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 8:20 pm

I'm NOT with teamster on that one. IMHO, drill bit won't help. You'll just ruin the thread filing it.

Remaining stud will hold flange. Relax. Tomorrow. Patience.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 8:55 pm

Okay, Martin. I'm not going into work tomorrow. I'm gonna go buy a stud-extractor, molegrips, a wee blowtorch and some files.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 9:10 pm

Any chance you know someone who has a welding machine? Tried mole grips meself - can't recommend. It's all about getting a proper hold on it and there's no better way than a welded-on nut. It also allows you to apply-heat-retry as many times as you like. Mole grips will simply crush the end of the stump. Furthermore, you'll be much better able to sense how much torque you apply when using either a spanner or a socket wrench.

Think I know your situation. No backup vehicle.

Me neither. Look at the bright side; you have nearly 60 bhp and proper handling. I've got 3 bhp and no handling whatsoever... Winter hack is a chinese 50cc scooter Sad
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 9:13 pm

The only welding gear I have access to is at work. I could put the bike back together and ride it but I don't want to bugger it up. And the noise is horrendous.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 9:24 pm

badseeds wrote:The only welding gear I have access to is at work.
Distance to nearest garage? It's a 10-minute job - you should be able to squeeze in a 10-minute-job almost anywhere...

Alternative approach: Get hold of tube with 6mm thread inside. Thread onto stump. Expand hole in flange. Mount. Apply 6mm bolt + stack of 8mm washers to protruding tube. Here the difficulty lies in getting/making the threaded tube.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 10:42 pm

badseeds wrote:The only welding gear I have access to is at work. I could put the bike back together and ride it but I don't want to bugger it up. And the noise is horrendous.

I think will be fine (at least for a day or two) - and I assume that (even with the noise) it will be better the getting the bus/missing work (or whatever the alternative is).

I ran mine for a few days in a very similar condition, however my work isn't that far away, so slightly less of a problem.

I had to use a stud extractor (the one that is like a reverse drill chuck) to get the broken stud out, I also had to file some flats onto the stud to stop the stud extractor rotating.  Obviously heat and plusgas were applied to try and ease the process.  It eventually came out.
HomeBrew
the 900
the 900

Post by HomeBrew on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 11:59 pm

If you file flats on it then heat it up with a torch that could work. I've got a 250mm pair of Knipex pliers wrench that are awesome and it would grip the flats without mashing it like the molegrips. You can also use it to press the brake caliper pistons back in if they are not more that 3/4 of the way out. I know that doesn't help you now but its a good tool you might buy yourself for Christmas.

Were you using two nuts to remove it when it snapped?
The_Wasp
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by The_Wasp on Mon 22 Dec 2014, 12:39 am

Yeah surely you could try 2 m6 nuts together to get that off. It looks like there may be enough thread left to get them to fit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 2:54 am