Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Front to Back - Honda CB500

Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Re: Front to Back - Honda CB500

Post by Ayrton F on Wed 15 Apr 2015, 10:17 pm

So we lifted the engine out last night! took a little bit of wiggling combined with a car jack to hold it in place! Now I guess its time to mount the replacement and see how to sounds! If its good the plan is to take it back out, clean it up and paint it. I've never really done anything like it before so I am just looking for a step by step guide, what materials I should be using, things to look out for, type of paint etc. 

Thankfully we have a compressor and a spray gun so that should make painting it a whole lot easier. 

Anybody wanna share their experience painting theirs ?
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 15 Apr 2015, 10:52 pm

believe me its actually easier to get it out than back in! but have tips for that now....

as for painting the lump I had a similar thought as you which is ask the forum for the wealth of knowledge.

http://www.cb500club.net/t3431-spraying-engine

.......next to nowt lol!

I removed the water pump (in the end), starter motor and sprayed with the casings in place (well removed the rocker for the last few and did it separate) and just replaced all the bolts after. as for prep I made sure I really blocked up all the ports scrubbed with degreaser and hit it with the pressure washer Very Happy and pretty much repeat and repeat until its clean.

then worked with mainly 240grit w&d paper - good stuff (i.e. not sh*te from halfords that looses the grit when wet) then went over it with 400grit. Then pressure washed again. Then replaced all the bungs and masked up with Frog Tape (yellow low tack stuff).

As far as masking and spraying id advise masking up the area around the casing so that you can really concentrate in getting the paint IN the circular rings at close range without drenching the area around it - particular if you are going for a different colour. I did this after and really wish I hadn't as even though it was low tack still ended up pulling some paint off as it really needs the engine running to cure. Then work on spraying the bulk on the engine.

I replaced the sump (due to mine being damaged) which made it a little easier but I guess before you spray the top you'd want to have the engine rolled on its front so you can spray the bottom first.

As for paint I went PJ1 and others have recommended BBQ paint but I've heard (and know with the PJ1) with both you DON'T want to get petrol on it! it may be heat proof but petrol strips it right off!!!!!

I tried to leave it 8 to 24hrs between coats and had it in the house with the heating cranked up to 24deg! In the end put 3 or 4 coats on on.

Thats about all I can remember.

I didn't use Honda bolts for replacements but don't forget if you are taking the starter motor and water pump off to get new seals.

Oh, and the battery earths to the starter to make sure the bolt mount surface is clean - likewise for where the cable attaches.
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Sat 18 Apr 2015, 2:08 pm

Hey Jerryfud!

Thanks so much for that detailed process! Its everything I wanted and more no joke Smile 

We lifted the engine into the frame the other night just to try and get it running but there was a problem with the starter motor I think. Long story short we had to take off the left-hand side casing. Of course we needed a gasket to replace the old one (which there wasnt much left of) but the gasket paper we had was to thick so we called it a night and agreed to get thinner paper the next day.

Plan on doing a bit tonight so I will let you know how it runs once we get it going.

The engine we are currently putting in (the working one) doesnt match the frame ... as in its not original. So my dad thinks (if all goes well) that we should leave that one in it for the time being, rebuild the original (the one we took out which has no compression) spray it up, paint it and jobs and good-un then. It would mean I would be able to get on the road that little bit faster and would have a very solid engine then once we stick it back in. What you guys think ?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 19 Apr 2015, 1:48 pm

When you say 'it doesn't match', do you just mean the engine/frame numbers? 

If so I wouldn't worry:  not all CB500 (and in fact not all bike) engine/frame numbers matched up from the factory.  If we were swapping an engine here in the UK we would just swap it over and inform the DVLA (the vehicle licensing authority) so they could update the paperwork/computer record/whatever.

Personally I would say that getting an engine in the frame and getting the bike on the road would be a good idea so you can start enjoying it.  You can then restore/fix/paint the original engine and (assuming you are successful) put it back and sell the other engine.
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 2:18 pm

Sorry its been a while since I've posted!

eternally_troubled wrote:When you say 'it doesn't match', do you just mean the engine/frame numbers? 

If so I wouldn't worry:  not all CB500 (and in fact not all bike) engine/frame numbers matched up from the factory.  If we were swapping an engine here in the UK we would just swap it over and inform the DVLA (the vehicle licensing authority) so they could update the paperwork/computer record/whatever.

Yeh! Its not the original engine that was in the bike when it rolled off the factory line. Was this a thing with 500s or does it happen with most bikes ? To be honest I wouldnt have a major problem with using different numbers but my dad rekons its better to keep it original.

Personally I would say that getting an engine in the frame and getting the bike on the road would be a good idea so you can start enjoying it.  You can then restore/fix/paint the original engine and (assuming you are successful) put it back and sell the other engine.

Funny you should say that! We got the engine running! Sounds sweet! Have also picked up all the parts we need to get it roadworthy so I could be riding it to work on Monday Very Happy Will obviously have to wait and see and hope nothing else comes up but I'm delighted!

I guess my first objective onces its on the road is to start work on the spare engine. Not really sure whats wrong with it. My dad said the guy who owned it previously said it had no compression so we will try and sort that and once its good to go, paint it up and swap out with the current engine!

After that ... well I will probably have to make a list!  Laughing Laughing
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 3:40 pm

It doesnt matter if engine isnt the original One. It only matters in likes of say yamaha rd350 two stroke and if bike is like new condition, get top money as collector wanting it with matching numbers. I bought my 97 cb and its clean but not mint for 750 euro with 32k miles. If new engines gud use it. No compression wear  in engine .
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 31 Aug 2015, 4:02 pm

Any more updates?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:59 pm