Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Push starting the CB500

Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Push starting the CB500

Post by Pugzilla on Wed 17 Dec 2014, 2:11 pm

I think my battery is dead. The road my house is on has a slight incline.
I have never push started a bike before.

I put the bike in 2nd gear. I sit on the bike, turn the key and let the bike coast down the hill with the clutch in. I let out the clutch and the engine will start.

Is that how it works?

What speed should I be at when I let out the clutch?
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Re: Push starting the CB500

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Wed 17 Dec 2014, 2:20 pm

I think fast walking pace/jogging pace should be sufficient. When you let the clutch out, if you don't have enough momentum the bike won't start. Would be a good idea to have someone pushing you to keep the bike moving once the clutch is let out.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 17 Dec 2014, 2:50 pm

Hi,

My house is also on an incline and I've solo bump started a bike before, yes to what you said and when you roll down the hill (you might need to paddle with both legs at the start to gather speed) 'slowly' let the clutch out it will literally start bumping/jerking like something is forcing it not to go forward..... there needs to be enough momentum to push through this to start the engine. same principle as a car and as soon as it starts give it some revs to keep the engine ticking over as it's quite easy to stall when it starts.

if you fail push it back up and try again Smile

word to the wise though, make sure you haven't got the kill switch activated and the choke is engaged if your likely to need it.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 17 Dec 2014, 11:06 pm

Pugzilla wrote:...

I put the bike in 2nd gear. I sit on the bike, turn the key and let the bike coast down the hill with the clutch in. I let out the clutch and the engine will start.

Is that how it works?...

Yep, that's how it is supposed to work, doesn't always quite go like that, so you might need more than one go.

When you release the clutch you need to be ready for a bit of lurching - both as you release the clutch and when the engine fires. Once it is running it's probably best to pull the clutch in and apply a little throttle to keep it running.

Oh - probably obvious - watch out for other traffic! ;)
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Thu 18 Dec 2014, 5:51 pm

Make sure you are smooth with the clutch, or it will lock the back wheel. Using 2nd gear is essential. The CB500 bumps pretty easily.
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Pugzilla on Sat 20 Dec 2014, 3:33 pm

Tried to pushstart it 3 times downhill with someone pushing me. Didn't work.

Called my insurance for homestartup. Apparently the time spent on its side caused oil to migrate upwards into the cylinders. The sparkplugs were taken out and oil was cleared. Bike started up after that.
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Sat 20 Dec 2014, 10:40 pm

well I'm glad that's sorted for you mate. :-)
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sat 20 Dec 2014, 11:41 pm

Being a bit of a salad-dodger helps. A few years ago I bought some Oxford Hot Grips, the ones that don't kill your battery if you leave 'em on.

I inadvertently left them on one night and they killed the battery. Full choke and a half-arsed nudge in second gear saw it fire up straight away.

I wired 'em into the pilot light shortly after that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:48 pm