Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

serious loss of power

terry1979
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

serious loss of power

Post by terry1979 on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 10:30 pm

Hi Guys

my 2nd problem with my bike had an issue of over revving but thats sorted now was the cables to tight... btw i am a complete utter novice in the mechanics to the point of no idea....

but coming home from work last night on dual carriage way and the bike suddenly lost power will rev to 6k but wont go above 60mph it will ride ok if i stay steady on the throttle but if i open up to overtake or go faster she is sounding fuel starved and chuggs wanting to go then dies off constantly i thought it may be a fuel issue but the system has had a fuel treatment and new fuel but on the left hand side of my bike there is a clear line that seems to be sucking itself closed where it connects to the carbs am i right in thinking this is a fuel line or air line that may be causing this.. any help or ideas would be fantastic as i really need to get it sorted as shes my only way into work. 

thanks in advance and merry xmas ride safe all of you please.. Smile
HomeBrew
the 900
the 900

Re: serious loss of power

Post by HomeBrew on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 10:35 pm

I think you mean the vacuum line that opens the fuel petcock, or is it the big fat one? They both need to be un-kinked for fuel to flow. If it has a clear line somebody must have replaced it because standard they are grey.
terry1979
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by terry1979 on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 10:37 pm

its a small clear one it looks like its bee replaced but it does seem to tight its almost a 90 bend where its pushed on :-S i would upload a pick to help make it a bit clearer but its a bit dark at the mo but i can post in the morning.

i think im going to have to replace it anyway so ill have a look for one online any good sites nice and cheap for the time of yr would be good as the kids have bled me dry at the mo ><.. santa
HomeBrew
the 900
the 900

Post by HomeBrew on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 10:40 pm

Yeah 90 degrees is no good, the factory line has a gentle curve moulded in, maybe you could cut the end off and reattach it if it is long enough while you get another sorted.
terry1979
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by terry1979 on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 10:44 pm

yeh i was thinking about that but its so short i think that's why its bent now only had it 12wks and the probs have just started now :-(.

cheers for the quick reply's btw mucho appreciated
HomeBrew
the 900
the 900

Post by HomeBrew on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 10:46 pm

No worries, hope it works at least you can still ride it 60mph is fast enough to get to work Smile
terry1979
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by terry1979 on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 10:49 pm

yeh true was a bit worried as my dad said it was prob the head gasket :-S but ive had no smoke from exhaust ect so thought id ask on here as lots of advice and help from everyone is great.
HomeBrew
the 900
the 900

Post by HomeBrew on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 10:49 pm

Perhaps you could wrap some electrical tape around the bend to stiffen it up and keep you going for now.
terry1979
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by terry1979 on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 10:52 pm

just had a thought any idea on the size i would need in mm i know its a bit of a daft q but i have found some on ebay that 3-6mm and a good price its a fuel/air line safe its £2.40 for 2meters of it would you reckon that's a good shot to replace the crap one on bike right size i mean?
terry1979
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by terry1979 on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 10:53 pm

ah great idea i may go and have a mooch in bike box of stuff never occurred to me to try that one Very Happy cheers
HomeBrew
the 900
the 900

Post by HomeBrew on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 10:55 pm

Looking on here Lings I think it is part 8 so 3.5mm by 210mm so hopefully that stuff would work but you never know it is worth a shot at that price.
terry1979
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by terry1979 on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 11:00 pm

awesome im gona save that web site to may come in handy for future reference thank so much
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 11:19 pm

I had issues similar to yours and it was indeed the vacuum hose. I bought some of this with a 3mm ID. Cheap-as-chips and works a treat.

Don't use the Lings webshite. This site is far better; actual Honda part numbers, too.
terry1979
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by terry1979 on Wed 17 Dec 2014, 10:06 am

cheers for the help guys
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Wed 17 Dec 2014, 2:42 pm

If it's not the fuel supply or vacuum pipes it could be carb related. Maybe the floats set incorrectly, so not letting enough fuel through when you using it up quickly at high speeds.
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Thu 18 Dec 2014, 5:48 pm

3mm ID fuel tubing works fine.
terry1979
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by terry1979 on Fri 19 Dec 2014, 9:18 am

hi guys ty for the help so far had a chance to look at it in actual daylight yesterday..

the line i spoke about seems to be blackening up it was clear but its starting to look burnt on the inside it was that bad till yesterday.. im a little concerned now as i cant do anything till sat.  do you think this is a serious issue or could it be just due to the initial prob?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 19 Dec 2014, 9:21 am

terry1979 wrote:hi guys ty for the help so far had a chance to look at it in actual daylight yesterday..

the line i spoke about seems to be blackening up it was clear but its starting to look burnt on the inside it was that bad till yesterday.. im a little concerned now as i cant do anything till sat.  do you think this is a serious issue or could it be just due to the initial prob?

So did you replace the tube and it and did it make the bike work?

The tube people were talking about earlier is a vaccuum tube that goes between a spiggot on the cylinder inlet manifold and the back of the fuel tap. It may be easier to see if you take the side-panel off. This is the 3mm ID tube. The vaccuum from the inlet manifold operates a diaphram which opens the fuel tap (it shuts off the fuel automatically when the vaccuum dies, when the bike stops).

There is also the fuel pipe that goes from the fuel-tap to the bottom of the carbs, it is thicker than the vaccuum pipe.

Anyway, I can imagine that if you have replaced the vaccuum tube with a clear tube it might change colour, espeically if the clear tube is not fuel-proof (like, say, car windscreen washer tube). Probably not much to worry about in the short term, but if you get a chance it would be better to replace it with a fuel-safe tube.
Gonzumzum
the 900
the 900

Post by Gonzumzum on Fri 19 Dec 2014, 10:11 am

One day i forgot to close the choke and i was experiencing similar simtoms.
Maybe this?
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 on Fri 19 Dec 2014, 12:59 pm

Check the fuel tank breather hoses aren't kinked or blocked. They will have a similar effect.
terry1979
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by terry1979 on Fri 19 Dec 2014, 8:33 pm

hi no, new tubes have not turned up yet was expected today... :-(

its annoying coz she chuggs at 5.5k like she really wants to go but then power drops off and today there was a head wind and i lost even more power really weird dropping from 60 to 35 mph the slowly gaining power as the wind died off :-s
terry1979
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by terry1979 on Sat 20 Dec 2014, 2:14 pm

ok guys had a chance to learn to do some mech online haynes and juadas preist in the background i have so far solved the problem

1: the vacuum hose replaced there was a split and was slightly blocked .

2: accelerator cable was loose in the holder and not secured , tightened ...

3: loose ht cable secured....

4: test ride yet to be done as i know have to play babysitter as the wife has gone shopping..

for me this is a great achievement as i have NOT blown me or the bike up removing the tank but i have found out i have a leaky stop tap so new yr need to replace it i think or i may have a go at replacing the insides see what cheaper ^^ thank you all for your help and advice if i get a play this afternoon i will sign in as solved if not i prob be crying later lol
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sat 20 Dec 2014, 9:10 pm

Good work, Terry! It's always very satisfying to successfully fettle your own machine. Luckily, the CB500 is the kind of bike that will encourage you to do so, will flatter and ultimately build your confidence. In the riding, too. Cracking bikes, these!
terry1979
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by terry1979 on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 12:41 pm

badseeds wrote:Good work, Terry! It's always very satisfying to successfully fettle your own machine. Luckily, the CB500 is the kind of bike that will encourage you to do so, will flatter and ultimately build your confidence. In the riding, too. Cracking bikes, these!

yeh gota agree there my 1st big bike going from 15yrs on a 125cc to a 499cc lol but it was forgiving and tbh very satisfying to do myself and not have to rely on someone else to do it for me still not 100% still a little power loss at high revs she doesn't tick over at 4-5 k but 2-3 so a little better but im off over Xmas so i aim to to a proper inspection just needed something to get to work for 3 days... :-)
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 2:02 pm

terry1979 wrote:
badseeds wrote:Good work, Terry! It's always very satisfying to successfully fettle your own machine. Luckily, the CB500 is the kind of bike that will encourage you to do so, will flatter and ultimately build your confidence. In the riding, too. Cracking bikes, these!

yeh gota agree there my 1st big bike going from 15yrs on a 125cc to a 499cc lol but it was forgiving and tbh very satisfying to do myself and not have to rely on someone else to do it for me still not 100% still a little power loss at high revs she doesn't tick over at 4-5 k but 2-3 so a little better but im off over Xmas so i aim to to a proper inspection just needed something to get to work for 3 days... :-)
I hear ya. My exhaust has developed issues and sounds like a buggered tractor. I still need to get to work til the 24th, then I've got til the 5th to sort it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:14 am