Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Bike won't start

Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Bike won't start

Post by Pugzilla on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 7:51 pm

I haven't used my CB500 for 2 weeks while I was away. It was under a cover outside. I disconnected the negative side of the battery before I left.

I came back tonight I found the bike on its side. Wind must have knocked it off its centre stand. Engine bars saved it from damage.

When i turned the key the dashlights and headlight work, but when I press ignition I hear a clicking noise and the engine won't start. I tried to roll the bike forwards and backwards, didn't help.

Is the battery or starter gone?

Anything I can do to start the bike?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: Bike won't start

Post by ashcroc on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 8:32 pm

If you haven't got a sealed or gel battery it's possible fluid has leaked out while the bike was on it's side. It might just need a top up with deionized water & a charge. The starter takes alot more juce to turn over than the dash/headlight draw.

Will the bike bumpstart with a friend/relative or two pushing (2nd gear is best)?

Last edited by ashcroc on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 8:33 pm

Put it in gear and rock the bike back and forth, you'll hear the engine turn slightly. Fingers crossed it should then start.

Edit: apologies, I didn't read the message fully, ignore Embarassed
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 17 Dec 2014, 10:53 pm

If you're getting the 'clicking' that is generally the noise created by the starter relay energising - this is normally lost in the noise of the engine starting/turning over, however when your battery is so knackered that nothing happens and all your hear is the click.

If you have a multimeter I would use it on the battery and see what the voltage is.  I would then take the battery off the bike and charge it up overnight, if possible.

If you put it back on the bike and still get the problem then it suggests that the starter is either not getting any power or it is knackered.  Best thing in this case would be to measure the voltage at the starter positive terminal (the nut on the top with the rubber cover) when you press the starter switch - if the voltage doesn't increase when you press the switch then the relay or wiring is knackered.  If the voltage does increase but nothing happens then the starter is broken in some way.

probably :)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 2:53 pm