Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Repack Honda exhaust?

Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Repack Honda exhaust?

Post by Celt500 on Thu 11 Dec 2014, 10:30 am

Has anyone managed to repack the standard Honda silencer, or know if it's possible or how you would take it apart?
stormbringer

Re: Repack Honda exhaust?

Post by stormbringer on Thu 11 Dec 2014, 9:01 pm

@Celt500 wrote:... repack the standard Honda silencer...

No idea. It seems this is a single-use component. Mine's from 2001 and makes the bike near-silent. Why would you want to repack it? Hoping to go all-stealth?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 11 Dec 2014, 11:54 pm

If you wanted to repack it I suspect you would need to (carefully) grind one or both ends off by grinding along the welds, repack (unpack ?!) and then weld it up again.

It probably wouldn't be too bad if you have some skills with welding; I don't have any skills so haven't tried it.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 12 Dec 2014, 12:01 am

for the stock look (at one point) I was looking at this which seemed pretty smart...

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cb_500_y_2/00-02/picture/marving_original_style_silencer_-_black/

can always remove the manufacturer plaque.
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Fri 12 Dec 2014, 12:58 am

Well, people talk about the stock exhaust being too quiet, mine isn't.
And also it sounds a bit... I don't know, just slightly blatty (I don't think that's a word). I can't find any holes or leaks so I was thinking maybe the packing has burnt out a bit over the years.
Don't want to go totally stealth but don't always want to announce to the surrounding countryside that I'm going for it down the straights!
Having said that I'd stick a Fuel can it if I had the money but I need a front tyre and a few other bits.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 12 Dec 2014, 1:03 am

In that case I'd save yourself the work and just source a 2nd hand stock one..... they can't be too hard to find or expensive at the rate people are removing them?
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Fri 12 Dec 2014, 1:44 am

Fair point...  Smile
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Fri 12 Dec 2014, 5:19 pm

@jerryfudd wrote:In that case I'd save yourself the work and just source a 2nd hand stock one..... they can't be too hard to find or expensive at the rate people are removing them?

Mine's definitely not for sale. I've put on a Fuel can - and I looove it! - but being a "UK road legal" thing it's actually not legal to use here. I'm an Outlaw!
So, should I ever decide to pass on the bike, the OE can will be needed for MoT (In Denmark there's no yearly MoT, only when trading bikes is MoT relevant. Authorities trust people to take care of themselves on this particular point). Also, should I decide to go abroad, the OE can is needed too. Going abroad may very well happen soon; I've got my eye set on southern England and Wales...
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 12 Dec 2014, 11:16 pm

@stormbringer wrote: Also, should I decide to go abroad, the OE can is needed too. Going abroad may very well happen soon; I've got my eye set on southern England and Wales...

The only thing you might want to bring to the UK would be the baffle for your fuel can - you won't have any problems with the fuel can here.

I don't know what you might need to escape Denmark...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 7:53 am