Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Hazard light conversion

Hazard light conversion

Post by Guest on Thu 27 Nov 2014, 3:44 pm

Have all four indicators blink at the same time.

Have searched but couldn't find any related article. Is it possible? Has it been done? Any advice, tips, insights... (I do know a thing or two about electronics so that might help).

EDIT: would this work?

In effect that means connecting a DPST switch across both L and R  connecting them to W in the diagram below... right? Note that W is the 'flashing' coming from the turn signal relay. Is the flasher relay capable of sourcing the current now doubled?

Now just to find a nice switch and location to place it. Smile

UPDATE: I'm confused about the flash relay - does it say 4 bulbs rated 21W is ok?

Last edited by Werner Van der Straten on Thu 27 Nov 2014, 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: Hazard light conversion

Post by ashcroc on Thu 27 Nov 2014, 6:22 pm

Been wondering about this myself & think it might need a separate relay.  The easiest way to find out would be to find a wiring diagram for a bike with a hazzard already fitted.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 27 Nov 2014, 6:25 pm

It looks as though it would work in theory although as you say you would need to check the current draw on the flasher unit with the indicators running and compare that to the max rating marked on it.

Edit: Beaten by Ashcroc! As he mentioned it may be easier to fit another relay, that's the setup on my mate's Triumph Daytona.

Hazard Lights (béta)

Post by Guest on Sat 20 Dec 2014, 1:05 pm

I've wired in the DPST switch to have the hazard light option enabled.

Here's a schematic for it:

The common (wire on the right) goes to the grey wire (return from blinker) the other two go respectively to orange and light blue from the indicators left and right. You can find these in the headlight loom:

By the way for your interest these are the internals of the flasher relay circuit. There's a relay, a diode, some capacitors and resistors and an IC about which there's no technical data available. One resistor is kind of load sensing, probably used for the short-circuit condition. The flashrate goes really fast then! I tested the circuits operation with a 100W load and this increases the flashrate. On the bike switching all four indicators on doesn't change the flashrate. So I've got good hopes that this is the way to hack in a hazard light system.

Will let you know if anything goes wrong, if not then you may safely assume all's fine.

Last edited by Werner Van der Straten on Sat 20 Dec 2014, 1:20 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Correction colorcode wiring)
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sat 20 Dec 2014, 1:15 pm

Nicely done Werner, thanks for sharing! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 22 Sep 2017, 5:28 am