Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Maintaining electrics

badseeds

Awesome!

Maintaining electrics

Post by badseeds on Thu 20 Nov 2014, 9:31 pm

I know everyone has their own particular flavour of spray, cleaner or whatever, but I've been using Servisol Super 10 for over twenty years in all sorts of applications from mixers, amplifiers, computers and motorbikes and it really is the finest product for the money.

I recently spent a pleasant day cleaning every contact, switch and connector on my bike (the day I replaced the headlamp and added a fan bypass switch), including removing the CDI and indicator relay for a thorough soaking. Even all the bulb holders.

I know I don't have to think about electrics for a long time now.
hobbes748
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Re: Maintaining electrics

Post by hobbes748 on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 11:38 am

Good timing Sir!  I've just started stripping down a PeeWee 50 that I bought for my daughter and was about to ask if anyone had recommendations.

I was also wondering about spraying the wiring with this stuff http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants+Sprays/sd2795/Protection+Wax/p41925 afterwards to try and keep the damp at bay.  Anyone had any experience with it?

Not on the contacts - over them once they're reconnected.  Just thought I'd better clarify Wink
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 1:22 pm

@hobbes748 wrote:Good timing Sir!  I've just started stripping down a PeeWee 50 that I bought for my daughter and was about to ask if anyone had recommendations.

I was also wondering about spraying the wiring with this stuff http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants+Sprays/sd2795/Protection+Wax/p41925 afterwards to try and keep the damp at bay.  Anyone had any experience with it?

Not on the contacts - over them once they're reconnected.  Just thought I'd better clarify ;)

I don't think it will do any harm and anything that keeps the water/damp/salt away will do some good, but I suspect it will make a mess, this may not matter, but...

Once you've got the contacts clean and working some people put a load of silicone grease on/in them to keep out the water - I can see how this works, but it also makes a bit of a mess.

If you don't think you want to take the the loom apart any time soon the probably the best thing to do is just cut the connectors out and solder the wires together, with a layer or two of heatshrink over the top - much less chance of failure. One of my mates does this on most of the bike he owns.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:35 pm