Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

dodgie indicators

geewhizz
the 900
the 900

dodgie indicators

Post by geewhizz on Wed 19 Nov 2014, 12:23 am

about this time two years ago my indicators started playing up, relay sounding a bit fast without the indicator coming on, if i left the switch on for a while the indicators might light up. The problems came back last week and i'm guessing the damp weather and abundance of rain lately has something to do with it. I've check the connections and they all look fine, gave them a blast with contact cleaner anyway. I've ordered a replacement relay and a fresh set of bulbs, will prob look to get a replacement indicator switch unit as although I can't see anything wrong there I've got a feeling thats where the problem lays. If that doesn't fix it though, what else should I be looking to try? best g
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Re: dodgie indicators

Post by Celt500 on Wed 19 Nov 2014, 8:59 am

Mine started playing up just before my battery died (maybe coincidence). I found a tip somewhere to spray WD40 or similar into the handlebar switch and 'excercise' it a bit. This did seem to help.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 19 Nov 2014, 12:48 pm

Yes, the switch is the most vulnerable part, as far as rain is concerned. Before taking it apart, do what Celt500 suggested (if you haven't already).

It might then be worth taking it apart or (if you don't want to do that) you can measure the resistance through it - this will involve disconnecting it from the loom and working out the connections, so it might be worth taking it apart anyway. I haven't ever taken mine apart, but I suspect you might be able to spray the WD-40 into it more easily when it is apart.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Wed 19 Nov 2014, 2:55 pm

I had similar problem only a couple of weeks ago, i also did what Celt500 said and it worked for me.
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 on Wed 19 Nov 2014, 7:39 pm

Had the same thing here too - opened the switch and nearly filled it with 3-in-1 spray. Everything worked fine after that.
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Thu 27 Nov 2014, 9:27 pm

well its had a week to hopefully dry out, will give it another go with wd40/contact cleaner and fit a new relay at weekend and see how it goes. cheers
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Sat 29 Nov 2014, 5:33 pm

took it apart again but used wd-40 instead of contact cleaner this time, seems to have done the job. cheers everyone
bilbro

Post by bilbro on Sat 06 Dec 2014, 2:25 pm

hi everyone,

I just bought my first cb500 model 1998 which had been stored in a garage and not ridden for ages. I had the same problem with the indicators.Switch on handlebar moved left or right but no indicators flashed. I sprayed wd40 into switch and this helped a bit. Can anyone tell me how i get to the relay to give this a dose as well?

many thanks

Bilbro
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 on Sat 06 Dec 2014, 7:21 pm

You can't get into the relay, it's pretty much a sealed unit.

Absolutely soak the insides of the switch with WD40 and work it side to side as you do. That should clean the contacts up.
bilbro

Post by bilbro on Mon 04 May 2015, 8:36 am

thanks, it took about a 100 left and right turns on the switch but now all is working fine.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:35 pm