Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Water Inside Fuel Cap

jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Water Inside Fuel Cap

Post by jimbobs63 on Mon 17 Nov - 15:14

Hi,

I've noticed with the amount of rain we've had over the past week that when I open up the fuel cap there's a lot of water accumulating underneath it.

I'm wondering if this is normal - and whether it is worse because I park my bike on the side stand.  Or could it be that there is a part missing - e.g. is there supposed to be a rubber seal underneath the cap that is missing on my bike?

Any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks,
Jim

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Water Inside Fuel Cap

Post by sullivj on Mon 17 Nov - 16:44

Jim,

There's a drain hose that should drain away any water in the rim. Check it's not blocked or kinked under the tank.
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Mon 17 Nov - 16:52

Thanks sullivj,

I'll have a look.  Any idea where under the cap rim it's located?  I assume it drains down to the right of the tank where the breather pipe goes?

Jim

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 17 Nov - 19:45

Easiest to take the tank off to check it. There's lots of info on here that will tell you how to do that.
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Mon 17 Nov - 20:17

Mines a bit cruddy too at the mo, when filling up i'll occasionally spill a little fuel round the rim to clean it and check it flows out the over flow pipe under the bike. Watch for greasy wheel spins leaving the forecourt tho.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 18 Nov - 12:29

@geewhizz wrote:Mines a bit cruddy too at the mo, when filling up i'll occasionally spill a little fuel round the rim to clean it and check it flows out the over flow pipe under the bike. Watch for greasy wheel spins leaving the forecourt tho.

It's not the petrol you have to watch out for (at the places I've been) - it is the people who either

1. can't seem to keep their diesel nozzel in the tank and like sloshing it around all over the floor

or

2. like overfilling their vehicle so much that it runs down the side, also coating the floor in diesel

Petrol evaporates/soaks in pretty quick so it is much less of a slip hazard.

Some places the walk to the cashier has been dangerous, let alone trying to leave on the bike....

Anyway, rant over...
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Tue 18 Nov - 15:28

Hi,

Had a look and found what I thought must be the drain at the 9 O'Clock position under the fuel cap.  It was full of crud at the top end.  Was able to clear some of it and now it is draining, albeit really slowly so I guess there must be a further blockage lower down.

Looks like I may have to spend some more time on it when I get a chance...!

Jim
glen.wilson1@gmx.com
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by glen.wilson1@gmx.com on Tue 18 Nov - 16:47

I have the same problem it always fills with water when I wash the bike I think my tube is stuck under the air box I will just buy a new one for what it's worth mine must be as old as the bike lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jul - 21:31