Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

oil filter fiddling

Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

oil filter fiddling

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Fri 14 Nov 2014, 11:03 pm

Previous owner supposedly did oil/filter change just before I bought the bike a couple of months ago. Recently noticed oil leak coming from the filter seal. Today I bought a filter tool (one of those giant socket tools you fit to a ratchet). Tried to use it to tighten up the filter and I can't get it on the filter because the exhaust pipes are in the way. I think I managed to tighten it up enough by sheer muscle power, but is it really necessary to remove the down pipes to change a filter or is my set-up wrong somehow?

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: oil filter fiddling

Post by sullivj on Fri 14 Nov 2014, 11:37 pm

Perhaps try a strap wrench from the side. You don't need to remove the down pipes. It only needs to be hand tight anyway...
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sat 15 Nov 2014, 1:08 am

Some oil filters are deeper than others & can cause clearance issues with the end on remaval tools.

Assuming the filter isn't a dirt cheap shoddy fitting one & the seal has been lubricated with a bit of engine oil, hand tight should be good enough to stop any leaks.

K&N oil filters have a 17mm nut welded to the end which helps greatly & they're quality is good too.
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Sat 15 Nov 2014, 8:05 am

I tighten my filters hand tight, gently. If you screw them on too tight they get welded in place, I've had to transfix them by hammering a screwdriver through to remove them in the past. No fun at all.
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 on Sat 15 Nov 2014, 9:39 am

If it's leaking, your best bet is to take it off, inspect the seal and the filter seat, clean it all up and put it back with a smear of clean engine oil on the seal first.

If the seal or seat are damaged, tightening it isn't really going to help.

I use a chain wrench to get filters off if I can't get them off by hand -

Filter wrench
glen.wilson1@gmx.com
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by glen.wilson1@gmx.com on Sat 15 Nov 2014, 4:15 pm

if your really struggling you can get an ebay k and n oil filter that has a socket fitment on the end
like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CB-500-R-Twin-499cc-1994-K-N-Filter-and-Motul-5000-Oil-Kit-/140942783469?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item20d0d833ed
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 12:29 am

Hand tightened the filter now. Seems to have stopped leaking!!! (fingers crossed it stays that way). Think I'll go for the K&N one when I change it over. That bit on the end of the filter looks like it solves access issues. Wasted £6 on the removal tool that doesn't fit though! Sad Will keep as a "might need it in the future" tool though!! Very Happy
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 2:20 pm

@Llewelyn1965 wrote:Hand tightened the filter now. Seems to have stopped leaking!!! (fingers crossed it stays that way). Think I'll go for the K&N one when I change it over. That bit on the end of the filter looks like it solves access issues. Wasted £6 on the removal tool that doesn't fit though! :( Will keep as a "might need it in the future" tool though!! :D

I have one of those 'useless' filter tools - wemoto sold me one before I realised that you can't use it due to the downpipes. Doh!

I'm hanging on to mine in the hope that me, or someone I know will eventually buy a bike that it fits!
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 3:03 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:
@Llewelyn1965 wrote:Hand tightened the filter now. Seems to have stopped leaking!!! (fingers crossed it stays that way). Think I'll go for the K&N one when I change it over. That bit on the end of the filter looks like it solves access issues. Wasted £6 on the removal tool that doesn't fit though! Sad Will keep as a "might need it in the future" tool though!! Very Happy

I have one of those 'useless' filter tools - wemoto sold me one before I realised that you can't use it due to the downpipes.  Doh!

I'm hanging on to mine in the hope that me, or someone I know will eventually buy a bike that it fits!
I have one those tools, too. It came with a party-pack of oil filters from David Silver. It was awkward to use on my ST1100, my VFR800 and as we all know, the CB500. Hand-tight and clean, lubed faces seems to work just fine.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 11:02 am