Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Looking for a CB500

KatanaAl
Squiddy
Squiddy

Looking for a CB500

Post by KatanaAl on Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:37 pm

Hi,
I have had three CB500's over the years, two naked and one faired model.
I am now looking for a very tidy bike sub 20k mileage, must have good tyres, chain and sprockets, nice smooth throttle action and a light clutch.
I am up in the North East of England.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Looking for a CB500

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 11 Nov 2014, 12:27 am

Good luck finding one.

Nice lower mileage examples are getting hard to find (I assume you have looked at ebay/gumtree?).

It might be worth thinking of getting a cosmetically challenged but mechanically OK bike and doing it up (if you don't mind that kind of thing).

KatanaAl
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by KatanaAl on Tue 11 Nov 2014, 2:38 am

Hi,
There was the perfect bike advertised on Gumtree in Washington which is about twenty minutes away. I made a cheeky offer via email subject to viewing, he got back to me saying he had had better offers but the bike was still for sale. I asked to view and said I would be quite happy to negotiate and haven't had a response, this was the add, looks great in the pictures. http://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbikes/honda-500-cb/1084695203 The english in the ad is a bit suspicious although that might be me being paranoid. Maybe he just wanted me to send him some money. If he is on the forum please accept my apologies, I would love to view the bike.
I have restored Suzuki Katana's over the years which was a labour of love. The CB500 is a workhorse and is just to keep me on two wheels over the winter months although I have considered building a cafe racer.
Cheers
Alan
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 11 Nov 2014, 4:19 am

That one's on eBay as well. Hate to say it but I'm a little suspicious of that mileage. The clocks look too old. The white lettering beneath the idiot lights should withstand more than 12k miles of even the worst weather. That dash looks more like 112k miles. Also, if it's only 12k how come its on Hagons? I know the seller says he has the Showas available - but again, if it's only 12k why are the Showas corroded? Then again, it's possible the Hagons were fitted to stiffen the rear suspension, and the originals just stored in damp conditions.

I do get overly suspicious around older bikes. This one looks pretty good, to be fair. If it's an honest bike, that's not a bad price really - considering it could soldier on for the next decade or more. Wonder how many owners it's had?

KatanaAl
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by KatanaAl on Tue 11 Nov 2014, 4:32 am

Hi,
Have you got the ebay link for the bike I can't find it.
Thanks
Alan
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 11 Nov 2014, 4:47 am

Can't find it now. : - /

Starting to wonder if I was mistaken. Just to be safe, forget I ever mentioned ebay. Laughing
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:52 am

trevor machine wrote:......Hate to say it but I'm a little suspicious of that mileage. The clocks look too old. The white lettering beneath the idiot lights should withstand more than 12k miles of even the worst weather. That dash looks more like 112k miles....

My first CB500 had 7500 miles on it and was 15 years old. The clocks were more faded than my current 109,000 mile CB500. The first bike had been sat around for years; some of its history included invoices for at least two occasions of it having its carbs off and cleaned. The bike was perfect.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:50 am

KatanaAl
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by KatanaAl on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 10:04 pm

That's a great bike, but it's in Belfast so potentially the cost of going for and getting it back could be high.

dado_dassler
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by dado_dassler on Sun 23 Nov 2014, 2:24 pm

eresford wrote:On Gumtree, £800. 12000 Mile.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbikes/2001-cb-500/1089187691
man those prices in the uk ... Shocked
in denmark that would've gone for more than three times that amount.

KatanaAl
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by KatanaAl on Mon 01 Dec 2014, 10:12 pm

Is this just too good to be true, it was on Gumtree at £800. Only around 20 miles up the road from me.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-cbf-500-/291311448551?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item43d383f1e7
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 02 Dec 2014, 12:01 am

Looks like it would be worth a look.

Photos on the ebay add are terrible - this could just be inept use of the camera/phone (most likely) or they are trying to hide something.

The CBF500 has a CB500 engine, but has a monoshock and a different exhaust (plus a few other things); so not that different really... still a good bike.

KatanaAl
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by KatanaAl on Tue 02 Dec 2014, 10:17 pm

Had a look at the CBF500 and it was in pretty clean condition, started first time and the engine sounded sweet. Had a colour matched Givi nose fairing a colour matched belly pan and chain guard and a rear rack and top box. Brilliant value for £800.
Sadly the frame number looked extremely dodgy, looked like a screwdriver had been pushed under it at some point to try and prise it off. As soon as I pointed this out to the guy he was very keen to get rid of me.
Basically if it's too good to be true it isn't true. My search continues, I am having a look at BMW F650 Funduro later today although Funduro doesn't wash with me I fell off one in Crete twenty years ago. I also had a look at a Suzuki XF650 Freewind at the weekend which was very tidy, still considering that one.

KatanaAl
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by KatanaAl on Fri 12 Dec 2014, 11:48 pm

Taking delivery of a 600 faired Bandit next week, 1 owner with 16,000 miles on the clock in absolutely bog standard condition. Just been serviced and has a full mot. Nice teal green colour. Thanks for all the help.
Cheers
Alan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 7:38 am