Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

headstock bearings

jerryfudd

Awesome!

headstock bearings

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 06 Nov 2014, 10:58 pm

I've managed to remove the old races from the frame which was a bit of a sod even with the sealey removal tool and am doing a little tidying with wet and dry where it nipped the frame - question is how do I make sure the two recessed surfaces in the frame are perfectly flat and parallel to each other? does it even matter down to the mm?
cbeebies
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Re: headstock bearings

Post by cbeebies on Fri 07 Nov 2014, 1:28 am

You wouldnt be able to take much off with wet n dry. Personally I just give them a scrape with a screw driver to remove the dirt and rust (if any). If the opposing faces arent true then youll get uneven wear on the new bearings, and possibly may get a tight/loose spot in the turning.  

Tip: when fitting the new races, stick them in the freezer for 30 minutes prior to fitting and heat the headstock up with a heat gun (obviously not hot enough to damage the paint) but even a little heat really helps open up the hole!
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 07 Nov 2014, 8:11 am

I'm sure, its probably more a want to/curiosity than I 'need to'... think my OCD is just freaking out a little Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 8:05 pm