Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

steering handle weights

dado_dassler
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Solved steering handle weights

Post by dado_dassler on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:20 pm

the weights at the end of both steering handles have become rusty and the paint has started to peel off so i'll have to repaint them.
i can see there's lots of stuff on the inside of the bars and i'm afraid of breaking something.
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=13MY5WEA&block_02=F__0500&block_03=1655
anybody got some advice on how to take them off the proper way?
i think there was a thread about this earlier but i can't seem to find it now.
jonny10
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Solved Re: steering handle weights

Post by jonny10 on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 9:51 pm

You mean the end weights, as Item 8 in the diagram? Just take out the screw at the end, stock ones are a philips head, I believe (altho' mine are allens). I had mine off to put on heated grips and don't recall it being much hassle.
Anyway, can you not repaint them insitu?

dado_dassler
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by dado_dassler on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 10:21 pm

ye, those nr. 8 they are impossible to pull out that's why i don't want to risk breaking something, but it seems i will have to paint them on there if they won't come off easily.
mine aren't philips stock either, maybe there's a reason?
i was gonna polish first then paint them in a warmer place as i always do. Rolling Eyes
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Wed 05 Nov 2014, 6:12 am

@dado_dassler wrote:ye, those nr. 8 they are impossible to pull out that's why i don't want to risk breaking something, but it seems i will have to paint them on there if they won't come off easily.
mine aren't philips stock either, maybe there's a reason?
i was gonna polish first then paint them in a warmer place as i always do. Rolling Eyes

Hey there.

In which part of Denmark are you situated? I might be able to help with practical assistance as well as a reasonably good working area - meaning 'not outside'.

dado_dassler
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by dado_dassler on Thu 06 Nov 2014, 1:21 pm

hello storm.
that's very kind of you, i live in slagelse but i'll move to fredericia in about two months.
currently i keep the bike in a garage at a friend's place and do all repairs there since i live in a flat - to all of you out there with your own garage and all that be thankful - it can get painful not having your bike close around from time to time. tongue

dado_dassler
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by dado_dassler on Thu 18 Dec 2014, 9:38 pm

marking this thread as solved now.
reason they wouldn't come off: they weren't stock ones and no inner bar weights either.
i don't know if the inner ones make a notable difference at reducing vibrations?
i placed a disc in between the weight and the handle grip, and i had to hammer it very very hard to get the slightest movement.
the fellow who fit them did a poor job filing the metal part that goes into the bar, it wasn't completely round and he must have shoved them in, no wonder it was this difficult.
if the expanding rubber doesn't do a good job keeping them in, i think an expansion bolt should do the trick.

original

mine (on this picture mid-section filed to fit and everything painted)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 2:49 pm