Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Headlamp upgrade

Ray Baxter
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Headlamp upgrade

Post by Ray Baxter on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 11:37 am

Hi guys. I really need to improve / upgrade the quality of light from the front bulb for night time commuting. I have been researching some of the hid systems. Does anyone have any experiences of these or other upgrades?
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Re: Headlamp upgrade

Post by Stooby2 on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 5:16 pm

http://www.cb500club.net/t3089-led-lighting

The forum's getting a bit messed up - that thread is in the general section.

Halfords do ultra bright halogens that do make a difference. Try one of those first.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 03 Nov 2014, 1:17 pm

I really wouldn't try and HID bulb in the CB500 front lamp bowl, it really won't make things any brighter for you. It *will* screw up the headlight pattern which will mean that you could well be dazzling oncoming traffic (which makes it more likely to crash into you), you also might (should?) fail your next MOT.

Sorry for being a bit negative.

More positively, there are brighter bulbs that can be purchased (as mentioned above). If you are going to try one then make sure it is only 55W max or your headlight might get too hot (and melt stuff).
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Mon 03 Nov 2014, 5:26 pm

The Osram Nightbreaker bulbs make an amazing difference to brightness, try them out.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Mon 03 Nov 2014, 5:58 pm

+1 for Osram Nightbreakers.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 03 Nov 2014, 8:23 pm

They are probably the same but I use Osram Night Racer Plus bulbs in the CBF (H7 fitment) - big improvement over stock!
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Wed 05 Nov 2014, 6:57 am

Also, have you checked your reflector + glass? At the Ace Cafe meetup I noticed that there are two different headlamp assemblies around - badseeds and I compared their function and it seemed the one on my bike worked better. It has a big 'H4' imprint in the glass.
Or was it the bulb? Mine was Nightbreaker, badseeds was stock.

Badseeds - have you had time to experiment with bulbs & headlights?
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Wed 05 Nov 2014, 7:49 am

stormbringer wrote:Also, have you checked your reflector + glass? At the Ace Cafe meetup I noticed that there are two different headlamp assemblies around - badseeds and I compared their function and it seemed the one on my bike worked better. It has a big 'H4' imprint in the glass.
Or was it the bulb? Mine was Nightbreaker, badseeds was stock.

Badseeds - have you had time to experiment with bulbs & headlights?
Yes. I fitted a 500V-on headlamp, the bulb you gave me and it's much, much better now. My reflector had gone all milky.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 05 Nov 2014, 2:49 pm

badseeds wrote:My reflector had gone all milky.

That won't help.  It is probably worth anyone who is having problems taking a look at their reflector...
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Wed 05 Nov 2014, 3:21 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:
badseeds wrote:My reflector had gone all milky.

That won't help.  It is probably worth anyone who is having problems taking a look at their reflector...
I've seen it on a few other bikes that use the same light, a CB1000 Super Four, an NTV650 and another 500. They all do that, Sir.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 06 Nov 2014, 6:28 am

badseeds wrote:I've seen it on a few other bikes that use the same light, a CB1000 Super Four, an NTV650 and another 500. They all do that, Sir.
So, do we have a fact-based Badseeds-top-tip here?

There are two types of reflectors out there, and the V-on-reflector is an actual upgrade - it works better/isn't going milky (yet). Add a high-bright bulb to the V-on-reflector and you have a major upgrade Smile

Badseeds, you did the actual upgrade. Exactly which parts went into it? Just the reflector + bulb? Or did you have to exchange the housing/chrome holder ring?

Original reflector - or are there aftermarket reflectors available for the CB? I'm asking because I've seen an alternative - and quite fancy - aftermarket reflector for my hobby-project (an ST70). Here, the lens was clear, giving the bike's headlight a look similar to modern cars. Something similar to this one:

Last edited by stormbringer on Thu 20 Nov 2014, 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added picture of clear-lens-headlight)
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Thu 06 Nov 2014, 11:55 am

I used a NOS 500-T bowl with a NOS 99-V reflector, lens and rim. It bolts straight on; I didn't need to faff about at all. The 97-on bowl is more practical as it's deeper and allows easier fitment for the medusa-head of loom. But for that reason, I prefer the look of the earlier bowl.

I'm on the lookout for an '06 CB600F Hornet headlight, simply because it looks lovely!

Post by Guest on Wed 19 Nov 2014, 8:29 pm

+1 Osram Nightbreakers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 22 Sep 2017, 5:25 am