Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Volume between min and max oil

Ray Baxter
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Volume between min and max oil

Post by Ray Baxter on Tue 21 Oct 2014, 8:28 pm

Spent the last twenty mins looking for the volume of engine oil needed to raise the oil level from min to max. Couldn't find the info, so I thought that I would ask here. Hopefully, it is an easy question for someone. Cheers, Ray

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Volume between min and max oil

Post by sullivj on Tue 21 Oct 2014, 8:36 pm

Not sure and I couldn't find it in Haynes either.

Can't you just top it up, check it, put more in if required and check again?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 21 Oct 2014, 8:44 pm

Checked both the haynes & honda manual & neither have the info. 
Think you'll just have to pour in a little at a time & keep checking (don't screw the dipstick in to check) until you're at the max.
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 on Tue 21 Oct 2014, 8:54 pm

It's not a lot though, so add a little at a time.
Ray Baxter
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Ray Baxter on Tue 21 Oct 2014, 9:38 pm

Thanks though guys. ray
stevew
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by stevew on Tue 21 Oct 2014, 10:03 pm

Little bit of overfilling normally doesn't do any harm.

Rumor has it that a lot of "cooking" Hondas have their filler orifice in a place that prevents overfilling.  Even if you filled to overflowing they would be OK.
This could be just an urban myth but when you look at the C90 and the CB500 it seems reasonable.  On the otherhand the CB250 Nighthawk would be a disaster if you filled to overflowing....who knows cheers
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 22 Oct 2014, 1:30 pm

@stevew wrote:Little bit of overfilling normally doesn't do any harm.

Rumor has it that a lot of "cooking" Hondas have their filler orifice in a place that prevents overfilling.  Even if you filled to overflowing they would be OK.
This could be just an urban myth but when you look at the C90 and the CB500 it seems reasonable.  On the otherhand the CB250 Nighthawk would be a disaster if you filled to overflowing....who knows cheers

Yes, my dad has a Honda generator - its oil hole is placed such that 'the right amount' is when it is full to overflowing, this can be quite annoying, but is also quite useful.

I find that you can get the oil level quite accurately to the line on the CB500 by adding small amounts - if you start off small then you won't go too wrong.
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Thu 23 Oct 2014, 6:58 am

"Some"
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 23 Oct 2014, 12:55 pm

@Basil Moss wrote:"Some"

That's the best answer yet!
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Mon 09 Mar 2015, 7:34 pm

did anyone ever work out the volume required to hit the minimum mark? I just found my oil level to be just below minimum and i'm in two minds about topping it up or taking the opportunity to change the oil completely.
Flyingbrick
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Flyingbrick on Mon 09 Mar 2015, 7:48 pm

Maintenance rules:
-Fill to max
-Have fun for a year
-Change oil and refill to max
-Have fun for a year

and so on. I just wanted to mention that you have to check the level once a year after the change, so, unless your bike has done a million miles, you NEVER have to add some, a little or whatsoever oil. Thats why the Haynes manual shows you all that interesting stuff about the CB but forgot to tell you about those old fashioned things as oil consumption and weekly oil level checks -that's only interesting for the Suzuki riders... Cool
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Mon 09 Mar 2015, 8:00 pm

i do mine every 4-4.5k which is 2+ times a year. stop-start city romping seems to reduce the life span of the oil considerably. I've done 2k on the current oil hence the query.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 09 Mar 2015, 8:01 pm

@geewhizz wrote:did anyone ever work out the volume required to hit the minimum mark? I just found my oil level to be just below minimum and i'm in two minds about topping it up or taking the opportunity to change the oil completely.

I did JerryFuds at the weekend. It's definately in the book, but I can't remember it..!
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 10:53 pm

@sullivj wrote:

@geewhizz wrote:did anyone ever work out the volume required to hit the minimum mark? I just found my oil level to be just below minimum and i'm in two minds about topping it up or taking the opportunity to change the oil completely.

I did JerryFuds at the weekend. It's definately in the book, but I can't remember it..!

2 years to the day and I find myself in exactly the same position - doh. With 2k+ miles on current oil and level below the minimum, i'd guess its not far below minimum mind you...to top up or refresh with new oil..? that is the question. it would help if i could remember which method i choose last time. i think i swapped it out completely...  scratch
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 11:22 pm

@geewhizz wrote:
@sullivj wrote:
I did JerryFuds at the weekend. It's definitely in the book, but I can't remember it..!
2 years to the day and I find myself in exactly the same position - doh. With 2k+ miles on current oil and level below the minimum, i'd guess its not far below minimum mind you...to top up or refresh with new oil..? that is the question. it would help if i could remember which method i choose last time. i think i swapped it out completely...  scratch

I usually end up putting in about 3.8 Liters for my engine to be at the top marker. I know this is a lot more than the recommended amount IIRC

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 22 Feb 2017, 6:28 am

As your oil is two years old, I would definitely change it completely.
Itsuki

Post by Itsuki on Wed 22 Feb 2017, 9:21 am

A few hundred ml, guesstimating scratch
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Wed 22 Feb 2017, 10:20 am

i thankfully sent an email reminder to myself confirming an oil change this time last year. will try poke a cable tie or end of a pen to confirm its worth topping up first...i prefer doing a proper service when its a bit warmer to work outside!

*** have topped it up now and i recon theres about 400 ml say between low and full 

also the little plastic pipettes are great for decanting oil from engine to chain, and if you happen to be a bit over zealous when topping up with new oil...and it even doubles up as an extra long dipstick. Such versatility

Cheers all
biglee
Rossi
Rossi

Post by biglee on Wed 22 Feb 2017, 11:11 pm

hi all in my cbf the book says 3.2 litres but it took 3.8 liters to the top line
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 8:36 am

@biglee wrote:hi all in my cbf the book says 3.2 litres but it took 3.8 liters to the top line

well that's very reassuring for me and it sounds about right for when I do mine too!  cheers
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 11:33 am

I was going to say 'about a pint', so 3.2 to 3.8 (600 ml difference) sounds about right Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 3:29 pm