Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

swingarm bearings

jerryfudd

Awesome!

swingarm bearings

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 12:10 pm

hi,

any one got any tips or experience with removing the swing arm bearings? or should I just follow the Haynes?

Also any recommendations on what to replace them with? I decided to go for some tapered rollers in the headstock (which were also cheaper!) so wondered if there was an improvement to be made (cheaper would be nice also) on the swingarm bearings.

thanks,

Dan
Alvi
Running out of unique names

Re: swingarm bearings

Post by Alvi on Wed 22 Oct 2014, 7:21 pm

Not a lot of help, I'm afraid - I have done this a couple of times, but only during a strip down & rebuild of the complete bike. It looks like once you've got the rear wheel off & disconnected the brake return spring & torque arm, it should be fairly straightforward. I haven't put the swinging arm back on my current rebuild - the job's stalled waiting for new dust seals & shock bushes - but the first time, it was a struggle to get the swinging arm back in the frame, so I slackened off the engine mounting bolts, which helped a bit. Fairly simple to get the bits out; once the dust seal's off, the spacer, bush and centre spacer can be pulled out with your finger. On the other side, there's a circlip to remove, then the bearing can be drifted out with a suitable piece of dowel. I couldn't see any wear or play in both bikes, so the original parts went back (apart from new seals), so can't comment on needle bearing kits, but I've seen favourable comments on these for other bikes. Hope this helps a bit.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 23 Oct 2014, 12:16 am

Thanks - a full strip down and rebuild is precisely what I'm attempting to do.

I got all the easy bits out but just gone midnight seemed a bit late to be attempting to whack out bearings.... well ok I gave it a few hits but with no success so will have to call it a night for now.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 23 Oct 2014, 9:09 pm

arrrrrrrrrrg!!!!!!!! I'v got the two caged bearings out but CANNOT seem to get the needle bearing out. There seems to be next to no lip, I've removed the inner cage and the needles to try and get a better ledge to work on but the bugger just isn't budging.

Any advice????
Alvi

Post by Alvi on Sat 25 Oct 2014, 8:41 pm

Any joy with this yet? A couple of bodges engineering solutions spring to mind. One is to cut through the outer cage with a hacksaw blade, perhaps on 2 opposing sides. It should be possible to do this without damaging the swing arm with care. The other is to pull it out, using a socket that just fits in the swing arm tube to push against the cage,and another with a similar internal diameter to the tube on the end for the cage to fit in as it pushes out. Then a long bolt through them, a nut & washers to tighten it all up should sort it.
Got the bits for mine yesterday, so fitted it today - discovered it's better to refit the battery box after fitting the swinging arm.....Other than that, it was a bit fiddly, but ok. Last time, I'd tightened all the engine mounting bolts up when I put the frame back on the engine. Later, when I was struggling to get the swing arm back in, I loosened them. This time, I left them loose from the start & it made things much easier.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 5:34 am

Thanks, I did get it out but the solution and execution seemed far from ideal. I grinded through the bearings outer skin with a dremel and used a screwdriver to collapse the bearing inward. Just need to tidy up the recess now with some wet and dry.
burning_rubber
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by burning_rubber on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 10:09 pm

i know its an old topic but is there a bering in the frame, or can i just take the swing arm out and take down to the bike shop (me and bearings dont get along)
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 10:11 pm

@burning_rubber wrote:i know its an old topic but is there a bering in the frame, or can i just take the swing arm to the shop (me and bearings dont get along)

all the bearings are in the swingarm - none where it joins the frame.

Dan
burning_rubber
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by burning_rubber on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 10:22 pm

thanks dan theres two on wemoto 

these or these ones any ideas ?

ps did you need any other parts apart from the ones i've linked to
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 10:26 pm

hard to tell as I got mine from the main dealer, I replaced everything in there from the lings part diagram bar the metal cylinders
burning_rubber
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by burning_rubber on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 10:38 pm

did you need the circlip? £7.65 with posted from lings, seems a bit rich lol
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 11:49 pm

@burning_rubber wrote:did you need the circlip? £7.65 with posted from lings, seems a bit rich lol

don't believe so..... but hard to say what condition it'd be in till you take a look.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 6:29 am