Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Comedy side panels

Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Comedy side panels

Post by Celt500 on Sun 19 Oct 2014, 11:43 pm

Is there some trick to getting the side panels off?
The grommet-y bit at the front.

I was starting to suspect someone was having a laugh at my expense this evening as I was trying to have a poke around at my wiring.
In the end I decided to take a deep breath and walk away before I broke it and come back tomorrow to take the seat cowl off as well so I can just rotate them out of the way.
HomeBrew
the 900
the 900

Re: Comedy side panels

Post by HomeBrew on Sun 19 Oct 2014, 11:57 pm

Put some oil or grease on the rubber nipples lube them up a bit! And then a firm hard pull.
chromedome
the 900
the 900

Post by chromedome on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 12:42 am

@HomeBrew wrote:Put some oil or grease on the rubber nipples lube them up a bit! And then a firm hard pull.
ooooerrrr Missus!  Laughing 

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Embarassed

But seriously..... yes, lube on the grommets, pull or lever off carefully, as they crack easily, and at the rear there's a tongue which slots into the rear plastics, so pull forward.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 3:47 am

If you can get your fingers behind you can push the peg out.  They'll be less likely to break.

Last edited by ashcroc on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed a word)

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 6:33 am

Push them from the back as you pull...
stevew
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by stevew on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 8:38 am

May be able to get some GT85 or similar on them to help with removal when the seat is up if you use the long red straw that comes with the can.
Then as others have said "grease them"  Razz
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 3:12 pm

Already cracked my panel where the lug is. When I get a replacement panel I'm going to file the lug diameter down a smudging just to make it easier.
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 5:01 pm

@HomeBrew wrote:Put some oil or grease on the rubber nipples lube them up a bit! And then a firm hard pull.

I tried that, it just got me a slap!  Laughing
Now back to the motorbike...

It's not happening, it's just going to break. The other one has already been broken and bodged back into place. I'll just have to take the seat cowl off. Probably a good time to check the rest of the wiring and do some rust management anyway.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 8:32 am