Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

HI All New Cb500

terry1979
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

HI All New Cb500

Post by terry1979 on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 4:45 pm

Very Happy :DHI Everyone , just a short hello from lovely wet wales (uk) lol

I have Been lucky enough to get my CB500 1995 model from a family friend shes been off the road for 14yrs but kept in pristine condition in the previous owners front room, she was brought into running by my mums fella and i have only been out on her for a 2 weeks (she has done 13500 miles from new and was taken off the road in feb 1999 till a month ago.)

since owning her she has struggled to stay ticking over so had to play with the throttle and choke till warm then she runs fine, unitl 2 days ago she now struggles to start (sounds fuel starved) and when she finally starts after 5mins she over revs right up to 6k when idle im not great at mechanics and the person i trusted who sold me the bike now wont help fix this issue.

im hoping someone out there can help a complete noob (novice) fix the issue as i cant ride her now as i have to force the throttle off to keep control so she no longer safe.

many thanks for any and all advice guys and gals :-)
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Re: HI All New Cb500

Post by Stooby2 on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 5:23 pm

After 14 years the carbs could be gummed up internally. A strip down and clean might be needed. Check the fuel breathers on the tank - underneath, right rear - are clear and not kinked/blocked. 
Spark plugs might need renewing as might the coils. Also worth checking voltages across the battery.

Whereabouts are you?
terry1979
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by terry1979 on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 5:33 pm

HI Cheers for the reply i live in north wales, its had new plugs and brand new battery fitted, i was told that the carbs have been cleaned but i cant confirm that :-). i must admit the breathers are kinked i will straighten them out now you mentioned that ^^
Ray Baxter
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Ray Baxter on Sun 19 Oct 2014, 7:13 pm

Hi, if it was mine, I would want to do a basic service before digging too deep into any one issue - plugs, battery, air filter ....etc. Next I would change the petrol, add some redex and then ride it for a while to see whether things sort out by use. Only after I have eliminated these would I consider stripping/rebuilding the carb. Although it sounds like it could well be a fuel issue.

What do you mean by "over revs" - not sure that i understand?
terry1979
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by terry1979 on Sun 19 Oct 2014, 10:25 pm

ok thanks guys .. what i mean is when she supposed to idle at around 1300-1500 after 2-3 mins she starts to increase in revs to 4000+ with out touching anything i have found that if i twist the throttle hard off it drops but only after this 2 mins of running im a little concerned as if im out on the bike i have to do it to stop if i clutch in she goes mad and it sound like im doing it :-(
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 2:41 pm

Welcome Terry! Check you've got no kinks in the throttle cables and lube them up, would also be worth putting some Redex through; half a bottle will do a tank.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 4:55 pm

As well as all the suggestions above, it is worth looking at the choke - if you look under the tank you can see the carbs and (possibly with a torch) you can see the choke slide - when you move the choke lever at the handlebars you should be able to see it move... if it doesn't move then the cable might be broken or the choke is stuck open and not returning to normal.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 7:58 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:As well as all the suggestions above, it is worth looking at the choke - if you look under the tank you can see the carbs and (possibly with a torch) you can see the choke slide - when you move the choke lever at the handlebars you should be able to see it move... if it doesn't move then the cable might be broken or the choke is stuck open and not returning to normal.
I had the choke stick open once from an old neglected cable that froze up in nippey predawn winter weather.  It was fine once the sun was out & a new cable sorted it.
It could also be worth checking if you have a return throttle cable fitted.
terry1979
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by terry1979 on Tue 21 Oct 2014, 9:23 pm

Cheers for the advice guys checked a few things out there was a 90deg bend in a breather so sorted that and checked the choke and its not sticking and opens and close's smoothly i have been told that the "decelerator cable may be to tight" not sure how to check this as it looks like a bit of a pain to remove the tank i believe to access them then having to refit to test it then repeat to get it right confused

but as the weather is a bit dangerous by me i wont be out on her for a few days :-(
Ray Baxter
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Ray Baxter on Tue 21 Oct 2014, 9:35 pm

Nothing to worry about with removing the tank. Disconnect a few pipes and undo the right bolt and it just lifts on. The Haynes manual provides a clear explanation. It's worth learning how to do this before replacing plugs, coolant and other service jobs.

Don't get disheartened though - you will get it fixed with a little persreverance and elimination
jonny10
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by jonny10 on Tue 21 Oct 2014, 11:09 pm

terry1979 wrote: i have been told that the "decelerator cable may be to tight" not sure how to check this as it looks like a bit of a pain to remove the tank i believe to access them then having to refit to test it then repeat to get it right confused

A trick which avoids having to refit the tank to test it:
Get a funnel & a wee bit of hose and connect it to the fuel hose of the carbs. You might need a small bit of rigid tube about couple of inches long, to make the connection. There'll be enough fuel in the carbs to get her running and just top up the fuel in the funnel as needed.
Or, you could get one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Portable-Motorcycle-Fuel-Tank-1-Litre-MS029-For-Safe-Fuel-Tank-Removal-/181539205670?_trksid=p2054897.l4275#ht_574wt_724

Handy bit of kit also when you're flushing the coolant system instead of prickin about refitting the tank 2 or 3 times.

BTW, you have checked the adjustment at the twist grip end and lubed the cables?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 22 Oct 2014, 5:30 pm

jonny10 wrote:
Or, you could get one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Portable-Motorcycle-Fuel-Tank-1-Litre-MS029-For-Safe-Fuel-Tank-Removal-/181539205670?_trksid=p2054897.l4275#ht_574wt_724

Handy bit of kit also when you're flushing the coolant system instead of prickin about refitting the tank 2 or 3 times.

I would get one of those fuel tanks if you can spare the expense - I have something similar and it comes in handy when you have the tank off but need to get the bike running (coolant flushes and carb balancing spring to mind but there are probably other times too).

jonny10 wrote:
BTW, you have checked the adjustment at the twist grip end and lubed the cables?

I would do as he suggests before taking the tank off - it could be a really simple cable problem.

Anyway, good luck, keep on banging away at and it will come good in the end.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:42 pm