Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Engine removal advice

The_Wasp
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Re: Engine removal advice

Post by The_Wasp on Fri 28 Nov 2014, 11:19 pm

Also a nice shiny brushed SS Fuel end can turned up the other day, it looks tasty Surprised

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 29 Nov 2014, 6:58 am

You seem to be a bit unlucky with bolt removal.. Do you spray them first with PlusGas? It really does work wonders.
The_Wasp
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by The_Wasp on Sat 29 Nov 2014, 8:09 pm

@sullivj wrote:You seem to be a bit unlucky with bolt removal.. Do you spray them first with PlusGas? It really does work wonders.

I think you're right there you know, nuts and bolts actively hate me I think Razz

The engine main bolt was positively dowsed with PlusGas over many days but it never budged at all until it was largely drilled out and only then would a few hard strikes with a punch get it moving. It was welding in with corrosion over its entire length but mostly the two parks where it passed through the engine casing. I have a nice shiny SS bolt that I picked off of eBay for £2.50 that I'll slather in copper grease before reassembly.

Dunno what caused the threads to fail in the head though, it wasn't massively done up tight. Using a torque wrench on the other bolts a few days later it felt like applying pretty much the same level of torque. 

Anyways the new head has been cleaned up a bit inside with some brake cleaner and I've fitted that along with the new head gasket. Tomorrow I'll get the cams in and check the clearances before hopefully nipping it all back up again. I would've done that today but don't have any Moly grease for reassembly of the cams.

Once the engine is back together will get it cleaned off all over and rub the cases down ready for application of some heat-proof paint courtesy of Hycote. Only after this is done that I can put the engine back in the frame and get it running again, it will probably need a carb balance since the clearances will have changed and the restrictors will have been removed for good yay Very Happy
The_Wasp
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by The_Wasp on Mon 01 Dec 2014, 8:58 pm

I am progressing with the valve clearances as planned. I have swapped a few shims around on the inlet side to get them close to spec, all of the inlet valves were out but strangely all exhaust ones were roughly in the middle of the acceptable range.

The only one I am having trouble with is the far right inlet valve, looking from above and the rear. It is massively tighter than all of the others by 0.05mm or so at least. The rest of the inlets have either a 192 or 195 shim installed which gives them a 0/15-0.16mm clearance but the problem valve has a 188 shim installed already and only has 0.12mm clearance!

I found this with the old head too, I found I was going to need a 185 shim for that far right valve before I messed the head up beyond repair, which was smaller than the 192 and 190 shims I was using on the other valves.

Is this going to be a problem or should I expect something like this with this job?
HomeBrew
the 900
the 900

Post by HomeBrew on Mon 01 Dec 2014, 10:55 pm

Is the size you need available then? 0.05mm off the others seems like a perfectly acceptable range of sizes to me, I would have expected a larger spread. Seems like you are making good progress Smile
HomeBrew
the 900
the 900

Post by HomeBrew on Sat 13 Dec 2014, 6:48 pm

How are you getting on Wasp?
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Sat 13 Dec 2014, 11:22 pm

The far right inlet valve was low on mine as well, whereas all the others were pretty even. Weird!
The_Wasp
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by The_Wasp on Sun 14 Dec 2014, 1:47 pm

@Celt500 wrote:The far right inlet valve was low on mine as well, whereas all the others were pretty even. Weird!
Yeah i was stumped too, but I put in a 185 shim I had that I was going to put in the old head and that bought it up to spec. They are even-ish with 0.01mm either way so I'm happy.

The engine has been degreased a bit and the majority of the paint removed from the cases with a rotary wire brush. I'm not able to get into the many nooks and crannies of the case and get a finish I'm happy with so I may instead hand the engine over to someone who can blast the cases instead. I hope this will give an even clean finish that'll be great for spraying.

I'm being rather sedate with this work, I've not got much motivation at the moment to get stuff done so it'll probably be in the early new year when the engine finally purrs again Smile
The_Wasp
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by The_Wasp on Mon 22 Dec 2014, 9:37 pm

I've spent the whole of today putting the bike back together. The engine I put in on Friday and today was spent plumbing it all in.

A few niggles with the starter motor (assembled it wrong and it ran backwards Laughing), the fairing is a pig to fit as always and there was just loads to do to get it running.

The new exhaust sounds sweet, it is sooo meaty at tickover and low revs and pops nicely on the overrun. This is with the baffle in and I can only imagine what it sounds like without it in. The restrictors are out now and the old 122 jets put back n so it is now full power and boy did it pull on the short test run a moment ago Very Happy

The carbs need balancing for sure as the pick up is a little lumpy but it'll do for now.
HomeBrew
the 900
the 900

Post by HomeBrew on Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:25 pm

That's great it runs well. Good job!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 24 Dec 2014, 2:15 pm

Glad to hear you've got it going again. You'll have to post a picture when you've got it all looking nice again.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sun 04 Jan 2015, 5:54 pm

Just been reading through this thread. Good work finally getting it sorted out.

Early on you mentioned the letters on the camshaft holders being confusing – I had exactly the same issue but eventually I figured it out: if you look at the pairs of letters one of them will have stamp marks over it to 'delete' it, as it were, and the un-stamped one is the one that is right for that location.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:33 pm