Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Any simple mods for green lanes

Ray Baxter
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Any simple mods for green lanes

Post by Ray Baxter on Sat 11 Oct 2014, 8:25 pm

Hi guys,

I have owned and ridden my new 2004 cbf (every day) for the past two months. I cannot fault the bike on the road and it handles the 23 each way commute to work with ease.

I live in a very rural part of the scottish borders - I have many road options and a few green lane ones too. to get to work. Last week, I tried a green lane option. It just didn't feel right. Yes the lane was a bit bumpy, but not that bad. I wondered what I can do to improve the handling of the bike on green lanes, any ideas? cheers, Ray
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Re: Any simple mods for green lanes

Post by Stooby2 on Sat 11 Oct 2014, 8:52 pm

Buy a Transalp?

Some semi off road tyres might help, thinner fork oil in the front and if you can adjust the damping on the rear, make it lighter. But it'll handle odd on the road. 

You'll fill your radiator fins with off road crud unless you have a fender extender on the front.

And from my off road days in Land Rovers, never go off road by yourself. If you screw up you could be out of sight and out of mind for a long time before someone finds you.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 12 Oct 2014, 1:23 am

tyres, tyres, tyres, and what he said ^
chromedome
the 900
the 900

Post by chromedome on Sun 12 Oct 2014, 7:44 am

Having had to get up some pretty bad goat tracks to get to rural houses and care homes I was assigned to work in in all weathers, I can say categorically that the CB is not happy off road. Be extremely careful (but I don't need to tell you that).

Chunkier tyres, and wider handlebars, as you need the leverage to get out of ruts and I wouldn't trust the chunky tyres on the road too much. Use the back brake, and preferably use the gearbox to slow down if you can.

Oh..... and whatever you do, come off the choke before you tackle the rough stuff. You won't have engine braking on choke, and you CAN end up heading through a hedge. Just DON'T ask me how I know this one. Just,,,,,,,,don't.  Laughing  

*ahem* Embarassed
Ray Baxter
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Ray Baxter on Sun 12 Oct 2014, 9:08 am

Thanks guys. Think I will stick to the road then. It would be great to get a transalp - but not a chance for now
chromedome
the 900
the 900

Post by chromedome on Sun 12 Oct 2014, 9:27 am

This chap sums it up beautifully...... From past experience the CB handles it better to be fair.  Laughing 
HomeBrew
the 900
the 900

Post by HomeBrew on Sun 12 Oct 2014, 1:21 pm

CB is a bit heavy for the mud. A proper dirtbike would be more fun. But with the right tyres..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 22 Sep 2017, 5:29 am