Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

Waterless Coolant

ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Waterless Coolant

Post by ashcroc on Tue 07 Oct 2014, 11:50 am

I've had a look through the (full) service history on my new bike & unfortunately I can't find when the coolant was last flushed as the most recent invoices just state major/minor service & fluids etc. 
For peace of mind I'm gonna flush it out before the winter sets in & in my browsing for which type of antifreeze to buy I've stumbled across Evans Powersports R waterless coolant.

The initial cost is higher especially when you factor in the price of the pre flush, but that'll be more than offset by the 20 year + lifespan (the company's only been about since 93) & the stated benefits. 

Has anyone got any real world experience of this product before I make a decision?  
I'm also considering changing to silicone hoses at the same time simply because I prefer the look of them over the stock rubber & they should last longer.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Waterless Coolant

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:33 pm

Haven't used this product, but I can see the attraction - it will last forever (or, at least, until you spring a leak!).

I can see the theoretical benefits they mention - using a coolant that will be well away from its boiling point removes the need for a pressurised system, which should mean there is less possibility of leakage.

I suspect you might need to be quite careful to remove all water from the system before filling - I reckon that you would want to use their 'water purge' stuff first, as it is quite difficult to get it all out in my experience.

Also, as I remember, you have to take the airbox out to empty the coolant reservoir, which can be annoying.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 07 Oct 2014, 4:14 pm

Done a bit more research on this during the day & one of the Jay Leno vids on YouTube suggest that since it can run unpressurised (due to it's higher boiling temp), it may be possible to do away with the coolant reservoir altogether.  They also suggest blowing the system through with a leaf blower to help get the water out of the nooks & crannies along with their prep fluid.

The more I look into this the more I'm convinced it's a good idea for the anti corrosion properties alone.
HomeBrew
the 900
the 900

Post by HomeBrew on Tue 07 Oct 2014, 7:29 pm

You could always pull the tube out of the bottom of the reservoir to empty it. It is right up underneath but reachable.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 08 Oct 2014, 6:15 am

@HomeBrew wrote:You could always pull the tube out of the bottom of the reservoir to empty it. It is right up underneath but reachable.

Yes, that's what I did.

How much is the waterless stuff when you factor in the flush too?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 08 Oct 2014, 8:16 am

Looking at the Haynes you need 2L for the engine & rad + 0.7L for the reservoir.

The coolant is about £30 for 2L or £60 for for 5L & the prep fluid is about £16 for 2L or £40 for 5L.

Evans do state the prep fluid can be reused if you filter out the gunk (the coolant can also reportedly be reused if you find you need to drain the system for maintenance) so the cheapest way would be to go in with a friend getting 7L coolant & 4L prep for about £61 each.

That's assuming you don't want to remove the reservoir & run the risk your system takes a bit more than the ( Haynes) stated amount.

Are you by any chance thinking about it for tango?
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Post by ceejay on Wed 08 Oct 2014, 5:54 pm

Caught this recently on wheeler dealers (!) and found a youtube vid of it for what it's worth:

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 09 Oct 2014, 9:35 pm

@ashcroc wrote:Looking at the Haynes you need 2L for the engine & rad + 0.7L for the reservoir.

The coolant is about £30 for 2L or £60 for for 5L & the prep fluid is about £16 for 2L or £40 for 5L.

Evans do state the prep fluid can be reused if you filter out the gunk (the coolant can also reportedly be reused if you find you need to drain the system for maintenance) so the cheapest way would be to go in with a friend getting 7L coolant & 4L prep for about £61 each.

That's assuming you don't want to remove the reservoir & run the risk your system takes a bit more than the ( Haynes) stated amount.

Are you by any chance thinking about it for tango?
I don't think it's for me.  Having changed my coolant recently, I didn't get out anywhere near the full capacity. I think I'll stick with the OEM stuff.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Thu 09 Oct 2014, 10:55 pm

Coolant's cheap and only needs changing periodically. I'll save me money. I like idea though.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Fri 10 Oct 2014, 10:27 am

Yeah, if you're just going on the price of coolant it'd take about a decade before you're saving money - less if you don't do it yourself & factor in labour charges.

While never having to replace coolant again is a bonus in itself,  I'm more interested in the anti corrosion benefits protecting the aluminium parts of the coolant system.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 10 Oct 2014, 12:30 pm

@badseeds wrote:Coolant's cheap and only needs changing periodically. I'll save me money. I like idea though.

I agree... for our bikes.

If I had a new(er), less beaten up, fewer previous owners bike I can see the point.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 16 Dec 2018, 5:33 pm