Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

[solved]My first project bike!

Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Re: [solved]My first project bike!

Post by Celt500 on Wed 24 Dec 2014, 5:08 pm

I just did my rear wheel bearings the other day and I can confirm that yes, the inner races of the bearings hold it firmly in place, it's not going to fall inside the wheel or anything.
You have to install the right side bearing first, then flip it over and with the wheel flat on it's side, drop the spacer in so it stands on the race, then bash the left one in and the spacer will hold. If everything's lined up the bearings and spacer will all turn together.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 24 Dec 2014, 11:04 pm

fantastic - thanks for that!
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 11:13 am

"a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

...so let the rebuild commence! today was getting the bearings pressed in and the tyres back on - ok I admit I cheated and popped it all down to a local shop but after all the painting and fighting getting them out I couldn't bare fudging it up... that and it only took them an hour.

Next is the fork rebuild and getting back to a rolling chassis Very Happy

Dan

Last edited by jerryfudd on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 11:59 am

Hopefully it's the angle of the photo, but is the bottom yoke straight? It doesn't look parrarlell with the top one?

Wheels are looking very nice.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 12:04 pm

I think its the photo but beside that the only thing keeping them lined up at the moment is the pressure on the top nut and the headlight mount - would have thought they won't be perfectly lined up till the forks are in.
jonnytub
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by jonnytub on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 8:29 pm

Hadn't realized just how close our builds are!  Your pretty much at the same stage as I am with regards to putting it back together, are you going full stock or making a few tweaks?

Jonny
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 8:42 pm

Few tweaks here and there but will decide when the project is a little further along.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 01 Jan 2015, 5:18 pm

Had a bit of a clean up of the serviceable parts ready for Saturday and checked that the front axle was straight with assistance from my father-in-law after its front ender that brought it to me...

looking all good and can't wait to get a move on!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 01 Jan 2015, 7:31 pm

Your OCD won't let you put those rusty springs back on will it?!
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 01 Jan 2015, 7:35 pm

ha! you know me so well..... I've been very focused on getting the frame ready so once the wheels are on I'm going to swap out some parts that 'could be better'. As for those springs in particular I'm not convinced I'm going to keep the main stand on anyway so it might just be on to aid the build.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 02 Jan 2015, 9:46 am

jerryfudd wrote:... I'm not convinced I'm going to keep the main stand on anyway so it might just be on to aid the build.

You'll regret removing it! ;)
jonnytub
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by jonnytub on Sat 03 Jan 2015, 10:05 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:

jerryfudd wrote:... I'm not convinced I'm going to keep the main stand on anyway so it might just be on to aid the build.

You'll regret removing it! Wink

Yes you will, quick fixes are so much easier the with main stand, keep it! Even if it looks crap, it's outta sight, mines back on and staying on, it should help with the rebuild no end, but it also helps with future maintenance.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 03 Jan 2015, 11:13 pm

I rarely use it on the CBF..... still thinking about it
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sun 04 Jan 2015, 12:12 pm

well a disappointing day on the rebuild yesterday - I dug out my first purchase for the rebuild namely a set of 2nd hand donor forks I bought off Gumtree (as the bike came to me with at least one bent stanchion).

I'd stored these and hadn't looked at them since but on re-seeing them again wasn't as impressed as I first was due to pitting high up the stanchion and some nasty marks where the yoke clamps but with no alternative I grudgingly decided  on dismantling them regardless.

Having dismantled the set that came with the bike so I could get the lowers coated which was a doddle I was looking forward to a calm methodical job with a complete new set of OE bolts, seals, bushes, washers and O-rings (bar top cap's) so lined everything up ready..... but that's not what I got!

Firstly, on the caliper side someone had rounded the head on the damper bolt so removed the internals from the top cap anyway and thought at worst I can get at it another way as I didn't need the leg but not wanting the stress (just yet) I put it to one side.

On the non-caliper side the damper bolt came off perfectly - however some had mashed up the top cap (b@stards!!!!!) but hammering on a socket got it off. The transplant procedure not going to plan!

So with that fork disassembled I lined up the internals next to each other and the spring is much smaller than the one I pulled out the first one(wtf?!). The spacer was also massively different in size! I wasn't planning on using the internals but I was getting increasingly dubious about using anything from them. However I still carried on BUT could not get the damper seat out of the stanchion - even tried not so gentle persuasion.

So, with two less than desirable stanchions one of which I can't remove, aswell as a jammed damper seat completely odd internals I decided f*ck this shit and chucked the lot in the bin and went inside for a beer.

I then proceeded to drink allot more and take the pounding for some new Honda stanchions so atleast I can be happy with the end result! Definitely an expense I didn't need and will slow up the project but atleast the parts guy took pity on me and priced matched them to
some ones I had seen at £40 off. He also said he'd give me refund the lower bushes which come with the stanchions knowing I'd actually bought them else where which will save me another £20. In the end £210 the pair.

Disappointed rant over.

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 04 Jan 2015, 1:53 pm

Different years of CB5 need different amounts of fork oil, so I wouldn't be surprised if the other innards might be different too.

It's annoying when these things gang up on you. Looking at the pitting on those forks you are probably better off without them. You can bodge up the holes quite effectively with epoxy, but after getting the rest of the bike spot on I suspect you won't want to do that.

If you get the bits out of the bin and drill out that bolt you might be able to recover some cash by selling them on ebay, TBH you can probably sell the pitted stanchions on ebay too, as long as the describe/photo them correctly.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sun 04 Jan 2015, 1:56 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:Different years of CB5 need different amounts of fork oil, so I wouldn't be surprised if the other innards might be different too.

The internals in the photo are from the SAME pair that I bought

Last edited by jerryfudd on Sun 04 Jan 2015, 2:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 04 Jan 2015, 2:00 pm

jerryfudd wrote:
eternally_troubled wrote:Different years of CB5 need different amounts of fork oil, so I wouldn't be surprised if the other innards might be different too.

The internals in the photo are from the SAME pair that I bought

Oh, I see what you mean - looks like someone else has got confused and mixed them up. How annoying.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sun 04 Jan 2015, 2:03 pm

yes, just decided f*ck it it in the end Laughing

as for selling them on the 'bin' is only a large bucket anyway so they aren't going anywhere and I've managed to remove that damper seat out now.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 1:32 pm

so having rebuilt the front forks with new stanchions and Hagon progressive springs a few days ago

.....and got the chain adjusters back in we decided to get back to a rolling chassis today

Swingarm back on and Mr. sullivj helping out and being as humorous as ever presenting 'the worlds most expensive sh*tter' as he has dubbed it Mad

Rusty rear shocks back on as Hagon have advised me my new rear shocks are on an 8-10 week back order Shocked

As good as new forks back on the bike

Nice bit of overpriced titanium bling

(I just like this shot - bike wise not sullivj)

Nice Rental bars and bar ends tongue
Ayrton F
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Ayrton F on Mon 12 Jan 2015, 12:03 am

New enough to the forum so these are the first pictures Im seeing of your newly painted frame etc! Looks ace man! 

Getting everything repainted like that is probably way out of my budget but Im thinking of just trying to do as much as I can myself.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 12 Jan 2015, 12:12 am

thanks, it was more and yet less than I expected to pay in that to get just the frame and swinging arm was quoted at £180 which is much less than I ever expected powder coating to cost but when you start adding things like the forks, downpipes, hangers, pegs, yokes and especially wheels the bill grows fast but mighty pleased with the results.

Had no intention of being quite so through but after stripping it all back there was so much surface rust I decided I couldn't justify spending anything on a purely superficial job so it was all or nothing for me.

Dan
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Mon 12 Jan 2015, 12:13 am

This bike is beginning to look superb! I'd buy a nine-quid cable-tie if my bike looked as good as that!
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 12 Jan 2015, 12:23 am

thanks...... in my defence when I ordered it I thought it was the grey one that clips into the frame - rather than the more generic one that ties the rubber shroud back by the coils.

that said at this stage the biggest mistake I feel I could make is regretting a decision and if a
OEM cable tie satisfy's that then so be it lol Smile
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 15 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

so, aswell as chopping up the undertray and sorting out a number plate mount and in the process giving me an interesting challenge of where to put the indicators the other day

I also bought some stainless bolts to replace the multitude of scummy ones on the bike while not paying Honda prices (I'll only pay the outrageous price for Honda bolts in stress areas).

One thing Id ABSOLUTELY recommend for anyone getting powder coating is getting a tap set - as despite the bolt holes being plugged and masked powder still finds its way and gets baked on.... especially on the backside of the captive nut

Unfortunately had to buy new hanger bolts and £4ea! (for anyone tapping the threads its a non-common one M10x1.25 - mosts sets just come with M10x1.5)

Going to attempt to get the loom back on the bike this weekend Very Happy
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 17 Jan 2015, 3:47 pm

did a bit more today, coming along a bit quicker these days....

still got about another 6weeks to wait till my new rear shocks arrive though Crying or Very sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:50 pm