Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

[solved]My first project bike!

Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Re: [solved]My first project bike!

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Sat 17 Jan 2015, 11:09 pm

That is looking good Jerry!!! cheers
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 8:51 am

Looking good.

I've got some brand new YSS shocks you're welcome to borrow until your backordered hagons arrive if you want.

While I've never found a review of them for a cb500, they seem to work well for other bikes & I'd appreciate your oppinion especially side by side with the hagons.

Drop me a pm if you're interested & I'll get them over to you.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 9:42 am

Thanks for the offer mate but I'm sure they'll arrive before the bike is ridable so wouldnt get a chance to try them as I doubt I'd be able to resist putting mine in the second they arrive Smile

How cones you haven't fitted them to yours already?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 10:40 am

No worries, even if you're up & running before the hagons arrive the stock one are only aesthetically displeasing. 

The YSS shocks came unfitted with a umm previous bike you might be familiar with to replace the grotty but perfectly functional stock ones & lack of workshop space left them on the to do list. 

My current bike has cleaner shocks so I've no need to fit them yet. If they turn out substandard when the time comes I figure I've lost nothing by trying them before getting Hagons but being an unknown quantity I'd be loathed to sell them on.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 1:38 pm

@ashcroc wrote:The YSS shocks came unfitted with a umm previous bike you might be familiar with to replace the grotty but perfectly functional stock ones & lack of workshop space left them on the to do list. 

LOL Laughing
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 1:40 pm

Ah.... don't you just love a bit of home baking Very Happy

(although in fact I'd of much rather gone to the coaters but this doesn't come out unacceptably bad either for the ad-hoc parts with a bit of Hamerite)
Gonzumzum
the 900
the 900

Post by Gonzumzum on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 4:07 pm

If i was doing this, for my personal taste, i would cut the rear end, put a U bar in the rear, to get something similar to this.
http://bikeglam.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Custom-Triumph-Bonneville-Pictures.jpg
Put a simple flat seat on it.

In any case, i love what you are doing.
Clean job so far!
alexknight2000
Squiddy
Squiddy

Project CB500

Post by alexknight2000 on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 7:04 pm

Enjoyed the write ups.

Just acquired a free CB500 and intend using it as a winter project.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 7:11 pm

Sounds quite sweet, but clearly needs a bit of tidying...
alexknight2000
Squiddy
Squiddy

Project CB500

Post by alexknight2000 on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 7:37 pm

The first test was to see if it was worth working on, hence getting it to fire up. If it sounded like a bag of bones I would have broken it and sold for parts, however as you say, it sounds as sweet as a nut. The clutch plates need looking at as it won't engage into gear. I imagine as it has stood for a few years the plates have stuck.

It has a lot of usable parts but it is tatty. Took the front wheel and forks of tonight and they are ok, just need a good clean.

Expect a thread and pictures soon affraid

It is a 1993 model, one of the first CB500R models, so not long and it will be a classic, lol.

Don't know if the work will be as meticulous as yours, but fun fun fun. Smile 

Alex
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 9:00 pm

That sounds like a really good price alex a bargain Very Happy
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 21 Jan 2015, 12:55 pm

@alexknight2000 wrote:The clutch plates need looking at as it won't engage into gear. I imagine as it has stood for a few years the plates have stuck.

Glad to hear you got it for free (the best price!)....

I imagine you are right - the clutch plates are probably stuck together. Before you wade and take the clutch cover off it's worth trying two things:

1. Check the cable adjustment - if it is too slack it won't work, sounds obvious, but it's still worth checking.

2. I am guessing the bike is stuck in neutral? If it is then try and get it into gear - you can try this by pushing it along while applying a little pressure to the gear lever. If it is already in gear than just leave it in gear.

If you manage to get it into gear then put the bike on the centre stand (as you were in the video) and run the engine. At this point the rear wheel will (obviously) be spinning.

Pull in the clutch lever and then put on the rear brake using the pedal.

If the plates aren't too stuck together this will have the effect of using the rear brake and the engine to try and tear the clutch plates apart. If it doesn't work the first time then try again, using a sharper motion on the brake (try and shock it apart).

It might also be worth running the bike in neutral for (say) quarter of an hour to get the oil nice and hot (it needs to penetrate in between the stuck plates) and then have another try.

Obviously you need to be careful not to knock the bike over while pounding the rear brake... plus don't run it for more than a minute or two in a closed garage. But you knew that, right? :)
alexknight2000
Squiddy
Squiddy

Project CB500

Post by alexknight2000 on Wed 21 Jan 2015, 1:07 pm

Tried a few of those suggestions.

Well ventilated garage, don't want to gas the step son, lol.

Have had the bike on the centre stand and warmed engine up. Select 2nd gear with clutch pulled in but as soon as you do it will cut out.

Have adjust the cable tension.

When not started it will selct each gear.

Won't turn over if we have it in gear and the clutch held in.

Will try again tonight as the running and selcting gears last night may have allowed the plates to un-stick ???

Had the same problem on the step sons Aprillia, which after a few attemps did start to free the clutch plates and then enbale the clutch operation to work correctly.

Trial and error I suppose. As a lay person, albiet with some mechanical knowledge and suggestions are awalys welcome.

So as not to hijack this thread I am now going to start a new thread for this project. Smile 

Alex
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 21 Jan 2015, 1:11 pm

Laughing
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 1:37 pm

@alexknight2000 wrote:

Will try again tonight as the running and selcting gears last night may have allowed the plates to un-stick ???

Trial and error I suppose. As a lay person, albiet with some mechanical knowledge and suggestions are awalys welcome.

So as not to hijack this thread I am now going to start a new thread for this project. :) 

Good luck!  I just didn't want you to have to get the thing apart unnecessarily.

It's trial and error for most of us here:  breaking (fixing!) motorcycles isn't what most of us do for a living (with a few exceptions).

Thread hijack over.... ;)
alexknight2000
Squiddy
Squiddy

Project CB500

Post by alexknight2000 on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 1:43 pm

My own excelusive thread ( ooer get me),

is here: http://www.cb500club.net/t3329-free-honda-cb500-1993-project#25572
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 7:43 pm

just messing with you guys - kept thinking I was having an unusual amount of interest in my thread lol Smile ....im assuming most people are just reading and looking rather than replying - or hope atleast lol

anyway a few more pics.

just a mock up to see if things are likely to fit but the headlight is still on order Rolling Eyes

although not to everyones tastes I quite like rim strips geek
alexknight2000
Squiddy
Squiddy

Project CB500

Post by alexknight2000 on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 8:28 pm

Looking good.

A couple of questions.

1. Where did you get the fairing from?

2. Where can I get hold of the front headlamp and indicator bracket??

Alex
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 8:34 pm

damn knew I should have kept that bit secret lol - I'm sure you'll find out anyway it's from Skidmarx.

the bracket is stock although had to mod a little to get the indicators to fit....... I have a 2nd pair to sell as it happens.

Dan
alexknight2000
Squiddy
Squiddy

Project CB500

Post by alexknight2000 on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 9:17 pm

Umm, interesting, can you PM me your bestist price for the bracket, please. Smile 

Alex
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 9:21 pm

Gonzumzum
the 900
the 900

Post by Gonzumzum on Fri 23 Jan 2015, 11:13 am

Quite like the black forks!
You will leave the fender in white?
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 23 Jan 2015, 11:15 am

@Gonzumzum wrote:Quite like the black forks!
You will leave the fender in white?

no, its not even white its unpainted... going to get the bike re-assembled and ridable then strip off the plastics to be resprayed.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 24 Jan 2015, 4:54 pm

So, after wondering what I was going to do with the brake mounting plates after a bottle of wine last night I decided what the hell and dug it out.....

I've always thought they seem a bit bland and show their age

So a bit of midnight cookery!

...and in the cold light of day with a bit of a clean!

I'm pretty pleased with the result.

...and back on the bike (and yes! I did mean to over spray on the disc the excess will burn/rub off leaving a neat line lol). Still with my grubby shocks - need to do something with the grubby axle and nut too but the wheel is on and off quite frequently at the moment.

Smile

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 24 Jan 2015, 5:36 pm

Nice job Dan. 

Do pro bolt do a nice gold axle nut?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 9:11 pm