You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Air filter housing problem

Wildwards
Godly
Godly

Awesome!

Air filter housing problem

Post by Wildwards on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 8:44 pm

So I`ve had my CB500 a week and as it's been running fine I've been spending most of my spare time riding and cleaning but today I thought I'd start to get into the nuts and bolts a bit. 

On trying to remove the air filter housing cover, two of the bolts came out no problem. The third however, the one at the bottom, is turning but won't come out at all and remains under some pressure as it turns. I've sprayed it and tried to pull it with pliers and even jiggled and bent the housing cover from the top a little to try and get an angle when undoing it to see if it would start to come out but no joy. 

Any tips as how to get this out would be appreciated as I reckon the filter's been in there at least 18 months as the previous owner never mentioned changing it.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Air filter housing problem

Post by sullivj on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 8:50 pm

Common problem I'm afraid. The retainer is spinning in the plastic that should hold it.

Most people resort to cutting the bolt off (Dremel) to get the cover off. Then I've heard of people glueing a raw plug in place of the retainer, which they fit a new screw into.
Wildwards
Godly
Godly

Awesome!

Post by Wildwards on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 9:59 pm

Thanks sullivj, that doesn't sound too ominous. I wonder if its possible to super glue the retainer back in once I get the screw shaft out. I suppose there's the risk of the same thing happening again though. Cheers

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 10:07 pm

I would certainly try. Also, a bit of grease on the threads should stop it happening again.

Once you have the cover off, it will be easier to assess.
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 10:50 pm

@sullivj wrote:Also, a bit of grease on the threads should stop it happening again.

^ good post.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 14 Sep 2014, 2:21 am

If it's a metal retainer in plastic it should be possible to 'weld' it back in place by heating the retainer up with a soldiering iron.  Failing that epoxy could work too.
Wildwards
Godly
Godly

Awesome!

Post by Wildwards on Sun 14 Sep 2014, 7:48 am

Thanks All, I'm going away for a week this morning so will crack on with that when I`m back and post how it goes.
Wildwards
Godly
Godly

Awesome!

Post by Wildwards on Fri 19 Sep 2014, 11:43 pm

Well I got at it this eve and ground down the head of the screw just leaving enough in the centre to allow a darn good yank and out it came with the retainer. The retainer was shot which I thought it would be so inserted a metal one to suit. I used hot glue to stick it in and left it an hour or so. Put the cover back on and put in a new screw remembering to apply a little grease to the thread of course It seems solid enough but I've only turned it finger tight for now. All seems fine. I  scrounged an old m6 screw as a honda one was £2.54 plus £5.50 p+p!!!
Bit of a bonus though the filter was like new.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 20 Sep 2014, 12:46 am

Thanks for the update.

I'm really pleased you've managed to improvise something, and reported back your progress - thanks.
Wildwards
Godly
Godly

Awesome!

Post by Wildwards on Sat 20 Sep 2014, 1:30 am

A pleasure.  Although I wouldn't have had much of a clue without the advice from you guys. So thanks.
robyn131
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by robyn131 on Fri 27 Jul 2018, 4:48 pm

Had the same problem with 2 of the 3 bolts, thanks for the tips. 

I carefully cut the bolt heads off with a grinder in order to remove the filter cover. Then to remove the retainers (after a lot of endless pulling with mole grips and pliers) I again carefully, cut 2 groves into either side of the seized bolts and used a crow bar to pull them and the retainers out! Cut the to bottom 15mm off two 10mm raw plugs and used Araldite to secure them in place over night. Then secured the filter cap back on with some screws and washers.
GollyGosh
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by GollyGosh on Fri 27 Jul 2018, 7:25 pm

Excellent solution to a common problem.  Well done!
burudis
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by burudis on Sat 28 Jul 2018, 9:59 pm

mi workshop old friend open box and fixed female thread part into plastic box with strong epoxi 2 components.
not more problems.
after this, 3 screws male with good grease for net open/avoid corrosion.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 14 Aug 2018, 2:14 pm