Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Hi from Northants

Wildwards
Wildwards
Godly
Godly

Awesome!

Hi from Northants Empty Hi from Northants

Post by Wildwards on Sun 07 Sep 2014, 10:45 pm

Hi All,
Picked up my first CB500 yesterday, I used to ride CX's back in the late 70's early 80's but after breaking my hip (which is still pinned) I've had a long layoff. However, after getting a 125 for one of my son's for work I got the bug again.
I picked it up from London yesterday after visiting the week before to check it out. Its a 94 model with 48k on the clock and hadn't been cleaned for about two years but ran nicely. Got it pretty cheap and after purchase I went to a petrol station forecourt and give it a check over  a clean with a can of wd40 and some plastic/rubber cleaner. She's come up pretty sweet as a start. Then rode the 100 miles home at a steady speed without a hitch. I`m going to enjoy my time on this bike I can tell.

I spent some more time on her today and have noticed the brake light has stopped working when I pull the front lever (rear is fine) and also there's a strange kind of click coming from somewhere in the rear cowlng, although it seems to be under/in the rear mudguard. Its like an electric cackle or pulse. It only happens about a couple of seconds after I turn the key on (before starting the engine) and after I turn the key off. The bike starts fine every time and everything else works so its not a starter or battery problem I don't think. Could be a short or something. It was doing it every second when the key was in the on position but after having a ferl around the wires in the rear cowling (hopeless with electrics) it just does it the once as I said. In amongst the wires in the rear cowling there is a black wire connector with nothing connected to it and a thin black wire which isn't connected to anything but that doesn't have a connector on the end so it doesnt look like they belong together.
If anyone can help that would be great or point me to a thread if its come up before.

Cheers
Will

Hi from Northants 14985276208_0065e45600_m

Last edited by Wildwards on Sun 07 Sep 2014, 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missing information)
eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Hi from Northants Empty Re: Hi from Northants

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:13 pm

Hello!

The electronic ignition box is mounted in the rear cowling, but I haven't ever heard mine make a noise when I turn the key on. I will keep an 'ear out' for it.

Might be worth having a listen to it with the seat off/up you might be able to pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

If you are feeling like having a look then you need to remove the seat, side panels, grab rail and undo the rear shock top bolts - the rear cowling should then slide off (unless I've forgotten something) - once you have done this you should be able to see the electronic ignition box attached to the right-hand rear frame. It might be worth unplugging it and giving the connector a good clean, then apply some silicone grease to it (stops it corroding).

Anyway, good luck in sorting it out.
Wildwards
Wildwards
Godly
Godly

Awesome!

Post by Wildwards on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 2:03 pm

Hi.
Cheers for that. Yes I've had the seat off and I can see the kryptonite box at the rear of the cowling. Funny thing is the noise doesn't seem to be coming from it. It actually sounds like its coming from inside the middle of the rear mudguard. Not sure if there's a connection from an indicator or something in there which is shorting. But as everything works fine apart from the front brake light I`m a bit baffled. Strange. I think I`ll take it in to a tech rather than me blindly poking at wires. Appreciate the reply though.
Wildwards
Wildwards
Godly
Godly

Awesome!

Post by Wildwards on Tue 09 Sep 2014, 3:53 pm

Took it into RAD motorcycles in Northampton before work this morning (highly recommended). The guy lifted the seat and switched on the key, and identified I had an old alarm tucked away in there which was fizzing itself out causing the noise. He unplugged it and hey presto, sorted. He then proceeded to put a new front brake light switch in. Gave him a tenner and I was on my way in under 10 mins. Jobs a good un!
Alvi
Alvi
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by Alvi on Wed 10 Sep 2014, 8:45 pm

Hi Will. From another new member who's just picked up a '94 CB500, welcome. Sounds like a good result with the electrics!
Wildwards
Wildwards
Godly
Godly

Awesome!

Post by Wildwards on Wed 10 Sep 2014, 9:27 pm

Cheers Alvi. Looks so easy if you know how. Was a bit of a Doh! moment to be honest Hope you are getting on well with yours.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 17 Aug 2019, 11:44 pm