Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

I need Sherlock Holmes

deecat
Squiddy
Squiddy

I need Sherlock Holmes

Post by deecat on Sat 06 Sep 2014, 4:09 pm

Just when I thought I had sorted out the puls coil issue the bike is playing up again.

I have done 200 trouble free dry miles and I thought the bike was fixed.
Went to work this morning in the dry and when I put the bike outside to go home it was stood on its side stand in the rain for 10 minuets.

It started up fine but within 100 yards or running in gear it started to play up again.
The bike just cuts out and if you turn off then back on the ignition it will tick over but as soon as you set off it plays up.
I managed to get home then decided to bypass the clutch and side stand switched which made no difference.

I started the bike up and left it ticking over and I can rev it while it is stationary.
I turned the tick over up to 3500 revs then completely soaked the bike spraying under the tank etc  with a hose pipe but it had no effect on the bike but as soon as I set off again within 300yards it just cut out.
Any advice would be much appreciated Crying or Very sad
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Re: I need Sherlock Holmes

Post by Tricky. on Sat 06 Sep 2014, 5:46 pm

has it really got anything to do with the rain? or just coincidence. battery? reg/rec? if these are knackered it may tick over but wont run under load. crap in the carbs? again, it will tick over but wont run under load. just some thoughts.
glen.wilson1@gmx.com
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by glen.wilson1@gmx.com on Sat 06 Sep 2014, 7:15 pm

might sound stupid this but. the overflow under the tank when you open it is it blocked and water is getting filled up and going in to your petrol and getting into the engine? i only mention it as mine keeps blocking up. the petrol cap stops it getting in but if the seals gone it may get in and water down the petrol but only get fed though half way down the road.
just a thought im sure its not hope you find the issue
deecat
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by deecat on Sun 07 Sep 2014, 12:16 am

I think it is an electrical problem as the bike cuts out as if you have just flicked the kill switch.

I will try replacing the r/r first.
deecat
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by deecat on Sun 07 Sep 2014, 4:44 pm

I have replaced the R/R with one from a cbf 500 and it seems OK.

I gave the bike a good wash and hose down and it started and ran fine.

The more I think about it when the bike was playing up some times, the battery charge status light that I have fitted did start to flash red.

For now I will use the bike locally until it proves it is sorted.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:23 pm

@deecat wrote:
The more I think about it when the bike was playing up some times, the battery charge status light that I have fitted did start to flash red.

For now I will use the bike locally until it proves it is sorted.

Sounds a bit suspicious. Not wanting to sound even more obvious, but you have checked the battery contacts are tightened up?

Now you have changed the R/R, if you have the opportunity (and a charger), it is worth giving the battery a good charge off the bike to make sure it is as good as it can be.

If you have had a dying R/R for a few months it might have knackered your battery - you might not find this out until the weather gets a bit colder and the battery starts to get below (about) 5 degrees C (regularly) at night, so you should prepare yourself to buy a new one.

Since you replaced the R/R have you checked the charging voltage?
deecat
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by deecat on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 4:40 pm

Yes the battery with the ignition off is 13.2v and with the bike running at 2.500 revs it is 14.4v

I have agreed a sale for the end of the month on the bike so I will put as many miles on it as I can before I hand it over.
I have just picked up a cbf 500 as its replacement which needs a good service and some tyres for its MOT so that will keep me busy for now.
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 6:44 pm

@deecat wrote:....I have just picked up a cbf 500 as its replacement......
do you think the cbf will be as good ? dont they have less power and more weight?
deecat
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by deecat on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 7:19 pm

I have bigger bikes so the weight/ power of the cbf is not that noticeable .

The main advantage over the cb is that we will have a bit more room when two up with the top box on.

One thing I have noticed is how much better the cb felt with the Renthal bars fitted now that I have put the standard bars back on.
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 7:23 pm

@deecat wrote:I have bigger bikes so the weight/ power of the cbf is not that noticeable .

The main advantage over the cb is that we will have a bit more room when two up with the top box on.

One thing I have noticed is how much better the cb felt with the Renthal bars fitted now that I have put the standard bars back on.
Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 8:35 am