Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Rust removal and paint

liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Rust removal and paint

Post by liverpool_f_ on Wed 20 Aug 2014, 3:38 pm

Hello all,

Having bought a fairly 'rough' cb I have set about tarting it up to make it back into the nice bike it once was. I have noticed some very heavy rust buildup, most notably behind the silver caps that hide the swing arm bolts. One side really is rusted to the point of flaking so I am going to try to remove all the rust with a dremel and repaint, mostly for protection rather than show. Has anyone done any painting for rustproof sake and if so, what paint did you use to offer decent protection. I have no air tools so I was hoping there would be a rattle can solution to this problem.

I also have some very scrappy plastics from where it has been dropped over the years. Has anyone gotten decent results from painting their plastics and if so how did you go about it. My bike is black and not a looker I am looking for a decent job on a budget, not a pro finish.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers
jonny10
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: Rust removal and paint

Post by jonny10 on Wed 20 Aug 2014, 5:18 pm

@liverpool_f_ wrote:Hello all,

Having bought a fairly 'rough' cb I have set about tarting it up to make it back into the nice bike it once was. I have noticed some very heavy rust buildup, most notably behind the silver caps that hide the swing arm bolts. One side really is rusted to the point of flaking so I am going to try to remove all the rust with a dremel and repaint, mostly for protection rather than show. Has anyone done any painting for rustproof sake and if so, what paint did you use to offer decent protection. I have no air tools so I was hoping there would be a rattle can solution to this problem.

I have the same and it seems to be common problem on CB's.
I just scraped the rust outa there as much as I could, slapped a few coats of Hamron black paint in around the recess and smear all with grease.
By using a dremel (I didn't have one) you should be able to get back to clean metal and if you then paint it and grease, should be ok.  

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 20 Aug 2014, 6:36 pm

I use the tamiya acrylic tins. Goes on well with a brush and dries nicely.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 21 Aug 2014, 2:10 am

Used black hammerite with a brush before with alright results.

Whatever you use it'll always be slightly noticable unless you do the whole frame.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Thu 21 Aug 2014, 8:47 am

For the swing arm pivot caps have a look at this thread...

http://www.cb500club.net/t2423-swing-arm-pivot-bolt-caps?highlight=swing+arm
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Sun 24 Aug 2014, 1:38 am

thanks guys,

I guess i am not the only one with some corrosion problems lurking in unseen places. I think hammerite and some lm2 type grease is the consensus. 

Anyone had any luck with painting their plastics? I have a cb500s and the fairing is scrappy from previous owners sliding up the road. Any thoughts?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 26 Aug 2014, 12:39 pm

I haven't tried it (I don't really care about how mine looks) but I suspect if you sand your plastics back to a smooth finish, fill any cracks/holes with isopon body filler (etc), given them another good sanding and then degrease them, you should be able to achieve a good finish with a rattle can.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 3:38 pm