Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

National Clutch Cable Awareness Week

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

National Clutch Cable Awareness Week

Post by trevor machine on Tue 05 Aug 2014, 5:53 pm

Yes folks - it's that time of year again. Comes around so quick doesn't it?? Hard to believe it's twelve months since last year's Clutch Cable Awareness Week. And oh what fun we had!

Yet here we are again - trying to increase our knowledge of all things clutchular - particularly the wirey bit that stretches from the hand thing down to the part on the silvery engine affair.

But enough of the technicalities. National Clutch Cable Awareness Week (or Nuckuckaw as we now refer to it) is about more than that - so much more.

Such as, in my case, actually remembering that the clutch cable you're using is *still* that same one the AA man bodged together out of scraps of bailing twine foraged from a nearby hedgrow last October. Because to be honest, a new one would have been quite useful yesterday, when the 'cable' began to fray, as I made my way to a Speed Awareness Course in Hull. And proceeded to get lost on what must surely be one of the largest, most complex (ex-) council estates in the western hemisphere. The navigation of which has long since been hideously complicated by the fencing off of a great many streets that were previously open to traffic (in a bid to cut drug dealing, I was later informed). Do NOT try to locate the "Freedom Centre" unless your license depends on it. You WILL become lost, you will NOT easily resist the urge to discontinue existing. Teeth will, in short, be gnashed - quite violently if my experience is anything to go by.

Worst of it is, I've got a real proper genuine honda one hanging in the garage, that gets a little squirt of EP90 down its gullet every so often. So quite why I've singularly failed to fit it isn't too clear. Oh wait - now I remember. I'm utterly spannerphobic.

BUT YOU DON'T EVEN NEED SPANNERS!!!

Shush - such comments are not in keeping with the spirit of National Clutch Cable Awareness Week.

Last edited by trevor machine on Tue 05 Aug 2014, 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: National Clutch Cable Awareness Week

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 05 Aug 2014, 5:56 pm

The dreaded clutch cable, I've changed my fair share Wink
Order two replacements because there's room to coil one up under the seat. Either that or cable tie it to the one in service!
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 05 Aug 2014, 6:30 pm

Good idea, that.

Here's how I managed to limp it home - oiled the bastard, didn't I. I keep a few small tatooist's ink bottles of EP90 in the under seat compartment - just for impromptu chain lubing mainly. So I squirted that into the top of the cable, and over the bits that had frayed - I swear to god this one simple act is what got me back from Hull. The splintery, somewhat torturous stretching noises abated dramatically and the lever felt much smoother for it. I repeated this a couple of times along the way and all was well.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Tue 05 Aug 2014, 6:34 pm

@trevor machine wrote:Yes folks - it's that time of year again.......National Clutch Cable Awareness Week (or Nuckuckaw as we now refer to it) is about more than that - so much more.

Ha ha! He's here all week ladies and gents! trevor machine; the CB500 Club's cultural ambassador!

Any chance you're coming to the Ace Cafe meet on the 17th? I know it's a long way for you, but I can put you up in the MOL's house along with Stormy; she won't be there (mother-in-law, not Stormbringer).

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 05 Aug 2014, 7:02 pm

Well, you must remember - I'm quite a fickle character. As free as the wind on the prairie - and as easily distracted as a summer bee, alighting hither and yon with nary a care in the world. Plus also I don't like riding in the rain, not a *massive* fan of motorways, might get told off by the mrs for "wasting yet more time on those bloody bikes", etc. etc.

But yes - what a fine invitation! Can you pencil me in? Perhaps using a - well, I was going to suggest HB. However I think an H or - being pessimistic - a 2H. As I'm currently alone in the house - wife and kids having gone to see me mum and dad in stoke (managed to riggle out of THAT fiasco, thanks to the aforementioned Speed Awareness Course). So it's not easy to check what domestic bullshit I've been earmarked for - nor even when.

Mind you, iirc, the mrs and kids and her sister plus the in-laws are all off to the lakes at some point - might be the week the 17th's in. Once again, I've escaped a tedious fate - which makes me think that 2H pencil could be substituted for HB after all, i.e. an altogether darker, more emphatic grade of graphite!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Tue 05 Aug 2014, 7:12 pm

@trevor machine wrote:Well, you must remember - I'm quite a fickle character. As free as the wind on the prairie - and as easily distracted as a summer bee, alighting hither and yon with nary a care in the world. Plus also I don't like riding in the rain, not a *massive* fan of motorways, might get told off by the mrs for "wasting yet more time on those bloody bikes", etc. etc.

But yes - what a fine invitation! Can you pencil me in? Perhaps using a - well, I was going to suggest HB. However I think an H or - being pessimistic - a 2H. As I'm currently alone in the house - wife and kids having gone to see me mum and dad in stoke (managed to riggle out of THAT fiasco, thanks to the aforementioned Speed Awareness Course). So it's not easy to check what domestic bullshit I've been earmarked for - nor even when.

Mind you, iirc, the mrs and kids and her sister plus the in-laws are all off to the lakes at some point - might be the week the 17th's in. Once again, I've escaped a tedious fate - which makes me think that 2H pencil could be substituted for HB after all, i.e. an altogether darker, more emphatic grade of graphite!

LOL.. Just a "yes please" would have been fine. Look forward to hopefully seeing you there Trevor.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Tue 05 Aug 2014, 9:28 pm

What Sully said!
GlenAnderson
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GlenAnderson on Wed 06 Aug 2014, 12:03 am

As it happens, I've been contemplating a pre-emptive clutch cable change come payday. I think I'll bump it up the priority list form "considering" to "doing"...  Very Happy
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 06 Aug 2014, 1:42 pm

You can add throttle cable to the 'awareness' list: I was coming home from working in Haverhill (Suffolk, I think) - I was just leaving the place and I was about to overtake a skip lorry and *TWANG* my throttle opening cable was no more.

The previous week I had just removed all the tools from my bike after coming back from holiday. Doh.

I was *extremely* luck to be offered a lift back to Cambridge by a bloke called Garry in his LWB sprinter van - enough room to put the bike in too!

If I hadn't got the lift I would have been calling up people from work to come and rescue me, which, in my experience, is never good.

Anyway, next time you have the tank off have a good look at your throttle cable - mine had rusted all the way through from the outside to the inside, hence the problem (it was probably as old as the bike - 17 years!).
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Fri 08 Aug 2014, 1:56 am

I am very aware my clutch cable is hanging on by a few strands of fragile steel.
And starting to wonder if a bicycle gear shift cable could be bodged into service until the new one arrives?
jonny10
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by jonny10 on Fri 08 Aug 2014, 12:42 pm

Just my opinion but if it's that bad, and you want to avoid being stranded, you'd be better off the bike for a few days until you get a replacement. When I ordered one from Wemoto it arrived in 3 days.
Not sure you could bodge as you suggest and even if you could be bothered with the messin, would you trust it?
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 08 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm

So, this being the last (working) day of NuCuC-AW, I got the new one on - courtesy of a mate in the next village who is good at these kinds of things. E.g. he's kit built one of those fake 3 wheeled morgan efforts and dropped a CX500 engine in it. Not really my bag, but it's no mean feat in my books - all that building, fabricating, and real proper engineering type schnizzle.

So - got an ambitious-for-me bit of riding ahead. Lakes at some point, then hopefully down to maidenhead berkshire towards the end of the week and then meet with ze forum commandants and an attack on ze capital.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 12:51 pm

Nuckuckaw - that was the word I was looking for.

Why? Because the bloody clutch cable gave up on me - again! We really do need a National Clutch Cable Awareness Week because these things seem to disintegrate faster than anything on the bike - bar tires.
Here's what I discovered:

Unlike last time, this one frayed at the engine-end of the cable. Strange.

Oh well; clutch cable replaced with the one I had in stock - inspired by this thread Smile

National Clutch Cable Awareness Week. Right.
Did you check yours recently?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 1:11 pm

Checked mine 2 days ago still as good as when I got the bike over 20k miles ago
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 1:27 pm

That's weird, I've never had one fray through at the engine end. Touch wood!
Grarea
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by Grarea on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 8:04 pm

Thanks for bringing this up.
I haven't got on top of my maintenance yet.

So, the fraying, is it generally visible?
I assume it mostly frays where it rubs most ie at the end of the outers.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 9:43 pm

The only time mine failed (luckily I had been reading forum postings and carried a spare under the seat) there was no visible warning that things were about to become annoying. The cable broke somewhere way up in the invisible bit and seemed perfect at each (inspectable) end.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 10:58 pm

@Grarea wrote:Thanks for bringing this up.
I haven't got on top of my maintenance yet.

So, the fraying, is it generally visible?

I think they *generally* break at one of the wear-points like you said, however like beresford said, this isn't guaranteed. For reference mine looks like it will go at the engine end, but who knows....
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 9:24 am

@Grarea wrote:So, the fraying, is it generally visible?

On both occasions mine frayed on the visible ends of the inner cable. Obviously because of rubbing against lever-cutout or threaded tubing.

I've now tweaked the positioning of mine at the engine end to ensure it gets funnelled properly into the cable outer. The lever end was cleaned, oiled and checked for free movement. Let's hope this extends the life of the cable.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 9:28 am

I see Nuckuckaw has come early this year - some four months by my reckoning. I think my current cable has probably done about 10k - could even be 15k. It's an OEM one from David Silver. Perhaps that helps. Also, I think I oiled it for a fair few days before fitting it, so it's possibly still feeling the benefit of that even now. Oh and not sure I mentioned it above but I did fit a bespoke gaiter to the clutch i.e. engine end of the cable - and though they seem to usually fray and snap at the lever end, I have had them go down there too. So a cheap gaiter was obtained from ebay for a quid or two, trimmed to fit, given a squirt of oil in its innards, and fitted into service. Not sure it helps - but if nothing else, it does look a bit neater.
Vardypeeps
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by Vardypeeps on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 1:11 pm

Thought my cable was on the way out so bought a new one, turns out it doesn't need replacing yet but at least the new one is under my seat for when the time comes.
Can't argue with £12-13 from Wemoto
ZekeVal
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by ZekeVal on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 1:53 pm

I stumbled across this video, and I think it's right at home in this thread: 

I'll start carrying my emergency cable repair kit from now on I think, won't try my luck with those kinds of failures geek
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 11:21 pm

@trevor machine wrote:I see Nuckuckaw has come early this year - some four months by my reckoning.

...a cheap gaiter was obtained from ebay for a quid or two, trimmed to fit, given a squirt of oil in its innards, and fitted into service.

Fair-weather riders like to prep their bikes while waiting for season start. We really should offer these people a chance to get in on the whole Awareness Week thing.

What else deserves attention on a yearly basis? Headlight! Assuming you do 10k miles a year at an average speed of 40 mph, this yields 250 hours of motorcycling joy. Assuming you ride with your headlight on (a bright idea - for several reasons), a yearly headlight bulb replacement will ensure you shine a light wherever you go! Headlights degrade over time, you know*. Like clutch cables.

National Headlight Awareness Week for those who elect to opt-out of the salt&sleet circus?

Gaitor: Nice idea. I might go chinese on you with that one. Copy it, you know. The ultimate flattery Smile

*) Example: Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited has a designated lifespan of approx 300 hours - and degrade during that time. Read all about it here.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 21 Aug 2017, 8:46 pm