Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

alternator

twistedtorment

alternator

Post by twistedtorment on Mon 04 Aug 2014, 9:19 am

I found out half way down the m25 my alternator has gone kaput! Any help in finding a cheap one and even how to do it myself would be greatly appreciated
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: alternator

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 04 Aug 2014, 12:53 pm

Firstly I'm assuming that you are talking about the alternator stator rather than the rotor...

Changing it isn't too bad. Essentially you drain the oil, disconnect everything, take the alternator side cover off, remove the stator from the side cover and pop in a new one and then re-assemble (probably need a new gasket).

If you haven't got a Haynes manual (or downloaded one - see the workshop section) then I suggest you do - it usually has half decent descriptions of most things, including this.

Also, I assume that you *know* the stator is knackered... if not then it could just be the rectifier regulator.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Mon 04 Aug 2014, 6:38 pm

I have one (maybe more) as well as reg/rectifier.
But before you go taking it apart, have you checked the condition of the battery? If your battery won't hold a charge then a new alternator or reg/rectifier wont help.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 16 Dec 2017, 6:51 pm