Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Pilot screws and their O-rings

jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Pilot screws and their O-rings

Post by jchesshyre on Sat 02 Aug 2014, 3:15 pm

Since I got my low-mileage CB a couple of months ago to replace my 150,000 mile-er I've been aware of a slight petrol leak from the left carb, coming from the pilot mixture screw. When I say slight, I mean nowhere near enough to form drips, just a kind of dirty petrol-y residue.

I knew that the previous owner had had the carbs apart to fit and subsequently remove a restrictor kit, so thought he might have damaged the pilot screw by screwing it in too far or missed out the o-ring or something.

So I finally got round to taking them out the other day. Sure enough, both were missing the tiny washers that go under the O-ring to protect it from being ripped by the top of the spring. I ordered two new full sets from Lings (I'm feeling flush at the moment, came to £40) and fitted them yesterday.

OMG! Ever since I got this second CB I've wondered why it feels as if there's play in the cush drive, or as if I can never get the chain tension right, because on and off throttle is glitchy. It turns out it's neither of these things, it was obviously a tiny air leak at one or both of the pilot screws that was enough to mess things up. It now, honestly, feels like a new bike around town. I'm not exaggerating at all. Can't believe the difference.

So check yours if you feel like your throttle response around town isn't smooth enough!
badseeds

Awesome!

Re: Pilot screws and their O-rings

Post by badseeds on Sat 02 Aug 2014, 7:47 pm

This is very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:48 pm