Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Fork springs.....

Wonkey
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Fork springs.....

Post by Wonkey on Mon 21 Jul 2014, 10:52 am

Hi all,

So striped the forks and have replaced the seals (think they were well overdue tbh!) now when i removed the springs i though Ahhh it already has progressive springs fitted.... touch! well after a bit of looking into from what i can gather Honda fitted them as standard? Anyway when i removed the springs the tight coil end was at the bottom of the fork!! Now i was under the understanding that progressive springs should be installed with the tighter coils at the top of the fork, hence being progressive! Soooo has someone refitted these wrong at some point or do Honda know something (else) i don't?

I have a Haynes on order but need the bike road worthy asap so if anyone could confirm this it would be very very much appreciated  Smile 
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Re: Fork springs.....

Post by jchesshyre on Mon 21 Jul 2014, 11:37 am

The Honda springs should have the tighter coils at the bottom.

Are the fork spacers present? If so then they probably are the original Honda springs (Showa in fact).

If there aren't spacers there then chances are they're the Hagon progressive springs, in which case the tighter coils should be at the top.
Wonkey
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Wonkey on Mon 21 Jul 2014, 12:25 pm

Awesome, thanks for the info. i would say they are Honda as they have the spacer tube and washer fitted.

At least i know what way up to put them  Very Happy Bit strange though as i said all progressive springs I've come across have tight end at the top? i thought the idea was for the dampening to get progressively stiffer as the fork compresses, meaning tight coils at the top would make more sense?

Oh well, it matters not.

Thanks for your help mate  Very Happy 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 3:33 pm