Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

'Project' Sidecovers!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

'Project' Sidecovers!

Post by sullivj on Thu 17 Jul 2014, 9:28 pm

The tattiest bit on my bike, by far, are the side covers. On one side, the bike was dropped on it, and the other is starting to corrode.

I have a vague plan in the winter to remove the engine and repaint it, but in advance of that, i'm sorting out the side covers...

For one side, I found a brand new one on ebay. When I've prepped the other side, I'll take them both to the paint shop and get them to match the colour.

For the other, I found a reasonable used one, which although scratched,will clean up well. Tonight's job was too rub out the scratches with some 800 grade wet and dry.

More to follow when I've made some more progress!
Zxanthion
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Re: 'Project' Sidecovers!

Post by Zxanthion on Fri 08 Aug 2014, 5:33 pm

I'm interested to see how this turns out for you as I've pretty much identical problems.
Are you painting them the original colour? I've thought about changing mine to black. Seen a few like that and thought it looked pretty good.

No doubt someone on here has done it but here's a good pic of it anyway.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 19 Aug 2014, 7:47 am

Ooh! Belly pan - never seen one of those on a cb5 before.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 26 Dec 2014, 3:59 pm

Shame on me for taking quite so long to progress this!

I fitted the new inspection plug to the alternator cover the otter day and it has inspired me to get Tango on the ramp to sort this out...

So, I've been out in the shed rubbing the imperfections out of the used clutch cover, ready for painting. It's nearly there...

I noticed that the placement of the HONDA sign is in a different place.. Does anyone know if this changed by model year?

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 11:53 am

No idea, but my '97 has the Honda written around the edge of the case rather than across the middle.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 1:02 pm

Jon, your bike's wearing a cover from a CBF500. Perhaps cos it was previously binned?

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 1:06 pm

Thanks chaps. Just to be clear, is the CBF cover the one with HONDA  straight across the middle?
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 1:22 pm

Yes it is. Your bike has had previous TLC. I reckon it was probably changed around the time the original one lost its paint. I prefer the CBF covers and plan to switch 'em over on my other engine.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 1:31 pm

Thanks. The CBF cover isn't yet on my bike. The one still on there now is the original CB500 one.

I brought the CBF one with a view to respraying it and replacing the original, without realising it was a CBF one.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 1:42 pm

To be fair, I've seen many instances of used CBF parts being advertised as CB. It's like breakers aren't doing their homework.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 12:15 pm

@sullivj wrote:Thanks. The CBF cover isn't yet on my bike. The one still on there now is the original CB500 one.

I brought the CBF one with a view to respraying it and replacing the original, without realising it was a CBF one.

oh dear - hows your ocd holding up sullivj? .....almost as bad as Alan sticking a matchless cover on the ajs tongue

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 29 Dec 2014, 4:10 pm

You know me so well....

Non standard parts on MY bike? I don't bloody think so!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 3:36 pm