Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Fork spacers

hobbes748
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Fork spacers

Post by hobbes748 on Thu 17 Jul 2014, 2:47 pm

Hi all

I've got some time off coming up soon and I'm determined to service the forks on my 2002. Does anybody know what the dimensions of my current spacers will be? I'd like to try slightly longer ones along with 15w oil, but I really need to know the sizes before I pull them out so I can work out what'll fit in there.

Thanks
hobbes748
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Re: Fork spacers

Post by hobbes748 on Thu 17 Jul 2014, 2:58 pm

Forgot to say - my thoughts were rather than adding 2p pieces or washers (or whatever) to make up the length I was thinking of using polyeurothane rod of the same diameter as the original spacer cut to be an extra 15-20mm longer than the originals. If this is a dumber idea than washers, please say so.

Thanks again!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 17 Jul 2014, 6:35 pm

The thing to do would be this:

Do your fork service - measure the length, width etc of the original spacer.

add some washers and see what happens. Go for a ride. If it hasn't madeany difference then add some more until you work out the right number. Go for another ride just to be sure.

Measure the pile of washers, add the length of the original spacer and 'hey presto' you have the length of rod to purchase.

In reality there is no reason you couldn't stick with the washers forever... however a bit of rod is less likely to get lost next time you take it apart.
hobbes748
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by hobbes748 on Fri 18 Jul 2014, 10:57 am

@eternally_troubled wrote:
add some washers and see what happens. Go for a ride.  If it hasn't madeany difference then add some more until you work out the right number.  Go for another ride just to be sure.

Thanks - sounds very reasonable, but does anyone know what size of washers will be suitable? I think I've only got 1 or 2 old washers kicking around - and I live out in the sticks (about 20 miles to my nearest hardware shop) so it would be advantageous to have a big pile of the right sized washers BEFORE I pull the forks appart.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 18 Jul 2014, 1:47 pm

@hobbes748 wrote:
Thanks - sounds very reasonable, but does anyone know what size of washers will be suitable?  

Not off the top of my head.

The 'right size washers' are ones that just fit into the top of the fork legs.

The easiest thing to do is open up the fork legs by carefully unscrewing the a top cap (careful now, there is a spring inside) and measuring the inside diameter and then subtracting a millimetre or two. Ideally you want to take the weight off the front of the bike before doing this by putting it on the centre stand and putting a jack under the sump.

While you are there it might be worth trying a 2p piece in the top and seeing how it fits: it might give you a good idea of the size required.

ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Fri 18 Jul 2014, 2:32 pm

Just measured a spacer I had in my parts box from a busted set of 96(T) forks I ended up replacing & it's diameter is 29mm. At a push a stack of 2p coins (26mm dia) may work.
hobbes748
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by hobbes748 on Fri 18 Jul 2014, 4:08 pm

@ashcroc wrote:Just measured a spacer I had in my parts box from a busted set of 96(T) forks I ended up replacing & it's diameter is 29mm. At a push a stack of 2p coins (26mm dia) may work.

Thanks guys!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 3:23 pm