Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

DIY tyre change

jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

DIY tyre change

Post by jchesshyre on Wed 16 Jul 2014, 11:25 am

I do all work on my CB myself other than tyre changes and the occasional thing like stripped fasteners (haven't had one of those for ages though touch wood).

I'd really like to become entirely self-sufficient and change my tyres myself. I remember how chuffed I was the first time I changed a drivechain having previously thought this was way too scary a job to do myself. Likewise valve clearances.

Does anyone here change their own tyres? How feasible is it to do in a home workshop? I'm assuming I'd need a bead breaker, some levers, rim protectors, and a tyre valve tool (and a pump, which I obviously have!).
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: DIY tyre change

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 16 Jul 2014, 1:06 pm

@jchesshyre wrote:
Does anyone here change their own tyres? How feasible is it to do in a home workshop? I'm assuming I'd need a bead breaker, some levers, rim protectors, and a tyre valve tool (and a pump, which I obviously have!).

It's quite feasible, but there is a technique to be learnt and sometimes quite a lot of force to be applied.  It can also be easier/more difficult/impossible depending upon how soft your new tyres are.

Have a look on youtube, there are probably some videos kicking around.

You can make  bead breaker out of some bits of wood (also look on google/you tube) - it essentially a giant lever.

You might well want to add 'tyre lubricant' to your list of items, plus when you say 'tyre levers' it can be useful to have 3 levers rather than the more normal two.

It is also useful to have some bits of wood knocking around to rest the wheel on while you are working on it, they also hold it a bit off the floor which can be handy.

The technique I was talking about above involves pushing the opposite side of the tyre (from where you are working) into the 'valley' of the wheel with your knees while simultaneously levering the other side over the rim.

Having another 'pair of hands' can also be helpful.

As I said, look at the videos....

I am lucky that I have a mate who has a little tyre changing machine (a bit like one of these http://www.ccw-tools.com/Motorcycle-Tyre-Fitting-Equipment/Sealey-TC965---Motorcycle-&-Mini-Tyre-Changer/p-2902-27572/) which, along with the appropriate bar, take a lot of the hassle and physical effort out of the process.

If it *didn't* have a handy mate then I would still have a try myself - you just need to know when to give up - before throwing a tyre lever across the garage or at the wife! (after all, it is probably only 30 quid to have the tyres fitted to loose wheels).

EDIT:

I haven't tried any of these, but one of the 'bead wedge' or 'beadkeeper' tools from here (and other places):
http://www.tyre-equipment.co.uk/acatalog/Tyre_Levers_and_Tyre_Changing_Tools.html
may well make life easier.

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 7:11 pm