Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Just got on my CB500!!!

CannockHawk
CannockHawk

Just got on my CB500!!! Empty Just got on my CB500!!!

Post by CannockHawk on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 12:28 pm

Hi All,

It's a long time coming, but I'm on it, passed my UK Mod 2 on the third attempt on Wednesday and took it out for 60 miles that night, LOVING it.

My only requirements for a bike were that it be black, loud and preferably mean looking, and although my Dad's old CB500 was taking up space in his garage and dying to be sold as of well over a year ago, I begged and pleaded that he keep it so I could take it off him when I passed my test.

I've read everywhere about buying an old CB500 - "Make sure you don't get one that used to belong to a riding school, it will have been dropped", well, my Dad bought this directly from a riding school, it's got dents in the tank, a couple of cracked fairing panels, rusted-through patches on the chrome and extremely home-made looking welding on the exhaust. However, if you're after a rugged, mean looking bike, even if you had all the money in the world, I don't think you can do much better than a bashed up CB500.

It's got a MICRON exhaust, which if my reading on the subject is correct, they no longer make and I believe are quite desireable in terms of performance and noise (hurray).

It's also been written off since my Dad owned it, resulting in a smashed up break lever, more cracked fairings, fork seals broken, and as a result, aaawwful handling any time it's been taken out during that year it was sat in a garage. However, just got it through it's MOT, had the fork seals replaced and it handles perfectly, as good as new. I took my DAS on a Bandit 600 and was expecting to experience a step down in performance to my 500 but there doesn't feel like one at all. I don't know if I'm imagining it being as quick, I know logically it can't really be, it must be that immense noise you get from the CB500 adding 10mph onto everything in my mind.

Far too pleased with it.

Just got on my CB500!!! Imag0014
Frasblade
Frasblade
Godly
Godly

Just got on my CB500!!! Empty Re: Just got on my CB500!!!

Post by Frasblade on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 12:36 pm

I like the black look Smile glad you're enjoying it
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:16 pm

Very nice, ride safe and let's hope for some sunshine! Very Happy
eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 14 Jul 2014, 12:41 pm

Yes the CB500 does have less power than a bandit 600 - I suspect it also has bit less weight too.

Glad to hear you passed your test and are enjoying it - I also have a black, battered CB500 - I haven't got around to making it louder yet Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 18 Aug 2019, 12:38 am