Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Storage of spare clutch plates

jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Storage of spare clutch plates

Post by jchesshyre on Wed 18 Jun 2014, 12:41 pm

I recently retired my 150,000-mile CB mainly due to excessive oil consumption. It now sits sadly in my garage as a parts donor for the 15,000-mile replacement I got.

Not that long before I retired it I replaced the clutch springs and friction plates. So I want to keep them ready for when the new one needs those bits replacing (hopefully a long way down the line). 

What is the best way to store the friction plates now that they have been sitting in oil?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Storage of spare clutch plates

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 18 Jun 2014, 12:59 pm

Take them out of the old bike, leave them a bit oily so they don't rust, put them in a carrier bag (or similar).

Probably worth putting a bit of paper between each one to make sure they don't stick together, although I think this is unlikely as they aren't under any pressure when they are out of the bike.

If I was doing this then my main problem would be finding the carrier bag full of clutch parts in a few years time...

Why don't you 'just' buy a new engine for the old bike and swap it over?  Assuming the rest of it isn't too shagged then you could get decent money for it (looking at how much they seem to go for on ebay...).

In fact, you could just sell it as it is and you would probably still get good money - after all it has been reliable for 150,000 miles, you just need to 'forget' to tell them about the oil consumption ;)
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Wed 18 Jun 2014, 1:45 pm

Thanks!

I just don't have time to do an engine swap and I like the convenience of having masses of parts sitting in my garage ready to be used! It is now also missing a rear tyre and, again, I just don't have the time to be getting a new one. Eventually I will sell the frame and other bits I don't need.

What's the best way of undoing the clutch centre nut now that there's no rear wheel (or chain and sprockets) on there? I don't have the means to fabricate a tool as recommended in the Haynes manual and I don't expect I'd have much luck getting the Honda tool...perhaps some other company makes one that would fit?
hobbes748
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by hobbes748 on Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:52 pm

I'll probably get shot down for this but can't you just wedge a 2p coin in between the clutch basket and the other thingy cog? The 2p will be softer than the basket/other cog so shouldn't damage it.

Also I'm not sure I'd use paper to separate the plates as the paper will slowly disintegrate with the oil which you'll just need to clean off.
hobbes748
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by hobbes748 on Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:56 pm

Primary drive! The 'thingy' cog is the primary drive cog (I think).

ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 19 Jun 2014, 1:24 am

<<<snip>>>Also I'm not sure I'd use paper to separate the plates as the paper will slowly disintegrate with the oil which you'll just need to clean off.

Should be ok if you use greaseproof from the kitchen.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Thu 19 Jun 2014, 1:08 pm

Thanks for the 2p idea - I think I'll go with that!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:16 am